Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say? - Page 4

Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say?

This is a discussion on Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by taseal FWIW, alot of the guys carry seal pups in the army on their LBE, and that's AUS8. I haven't heard anyone ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say?

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    FWIW, alot of the guys carry seal pups in the army on their LBE, and that's AUS8. I haven't heard anyone complain that it's not sharp enough. and these aren't POGs either.
    - I'm not sure how you keep missing what's being posted (by Cold Steel owners). AUS8 is sharp enough, the problem is that it doesn't keep an edge as well as other steels. You get what you pay for.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I'm not sure how you keep missing what's being posted (by Cold Steel owners). AUS8 is sharp enough, the problem is that it doesn't keep an edge as well as other steels. You get what you pay for.
    right, what i'm trying to say is the SOG pup for example cost 3 times as much, and it's the same steel.

so how do you get what you pay for when CS has the same one for 30 bucks, and pup using the same metal and selling it for 65?

see what I'm trying to point out here? Will you buy a better product by spending twice as much to get the seal pup?

you say "you get what you pay for". and I'm saying there are other companies selling same metal blades for twice the cost. (which is why I'm using the seal pup elite as an example)

they also have other metals like 1055, 1085 which is very similar to the 1095 most use (%.95 carbon content vs %.55-%.85)

I have a gi tanto on the way and I will see how long that blade lasts. that supposedly uses 1055 compared to the kabar I was looking at which was 1095.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    FWIW, alot of the guys carry seal pups in the army on their LBE, and that's AUS8. I haven't heard anyone complain that it's not sharp enough. and these aren't POGs either.
    And a lot of cops carry Rugers that they don't complain about. If you head over to Lightfighter forum or SOCNET (Special Operations Community Network) and search for Cold Steel, you'll see a lot of guys used them when they really didn't care about knives and just bought what the next guy used or was available right then. Most of the guys that then became interested in knives moved on to higher quality.

I don't know about you, but in my line of work, I'm not too worried about a razor sharp edge as I am a chunk of steel that can get a cut started, then I can break it or pry it with the blade. So, steel quality is a big thing, edge holding not so much.

I think Cold Steel knives are ok, just like a KaBar. But, they don't excel at anything, they just do most things ok and are at a price point that the average soldier, cop or printer repairman can afford one.

If it wasn't for that idiot Lynn Thomas, they might not be such a bad company. His completely out of line comments about some soldiers, his ridiculous videos and his overall creepiness creep me from spending my money.

Now, a lot of people obviously don't understand that using the same teel is just part of it. I can have two 3/16" s30v steels from two different companies. Strider using Paul Bos' proprietary heat treat will outlast most blades from other manufacturers.

I had a Chris Reeve in s30v. It wouldn't hold an edge half as long as a Strider. It rolled much easier and took dings quickly in the blade. I pried a door open with a Strider and didn't put a single markon the edge. I took a soft limb off a tree with the Green Beret (Chris Reeve) and it rolled my edge.

Chris says they do this on purpose for field sharpening, but I can sharpen my Striders almost as easy with nothing more than one stone or a set of ceramics.

So, I may get a lot more for my money, even if two blades are the same steel and general profile. It's the heat treat that makes ALL the difference. I don't know too many knives that will do what a Strider does even using the same steel. There are a number of videos and reviews proving this.

I gave a Strider VB-GG to a solider before deployment and another an SnG. The dude I gave the VB-GG to said that everyone wanted that knife. It did things with ease that broke other blades. Many guys just buy what's available and cheap. Others understand the difference and buy quality.

Personally, had I had a Cold Steel when I pried that door open a month or tow ago, the outcome for the person on the other side may have been terribly different. I won't skimp on a serious use knife.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Not referring to taseal specifically, but it's called emotional attachment. There's a saying we have about those types of people - "Hey, don't go trying to dispute my guess with your facts!" or something like that.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I prefer my knives to have a razor sharp edge. Just last night my Griptilian had to slice some limes for Corona's. Today, my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 opened a container of ice cream. I won't lie, I didn't need a knife to open the ice cream, I just really like my Paramilitary 2.

Old thread I know.

I now have 3 CS knives I use as an EDC/back-up weapon. I train. I've had blades (including swords) for a number of years altogether though I am just getting back into blades I will admit. As of 2013 they are made in Taiwan, not China. My son studies there and they take their blade making very seriously (not a guarantee that junk is not produced I know). Anyway, the Espada, OSS, and TrLite are all very well made out of the box. I've yet to have any of them for a full year yet so we shall see.

But I will say this. I do not use weapons my life will depend on (and in the course of my work it sometimes does as I go to sketchy places) for cutting melons or general utility. Even well-made swords were not historically used for that. It needs to be SHARP (it's a knife), so the only time you use an EDC in my humble opinion on another surface is when you need to. And from my use with swords I have learned to sharpen -- a skill anyone carrying a knife should learn. It's not that hard, just a lot of work. But all 3 CS's came sharp enough to do surgery with (not an exaggeration). CS has a much better selection of large defensive knives too, but I am always on the look out for something better.

I know Spyderco is all the rage right now. But they are DINKEY. Yes, I just called your knife dinkey. In fact most (but not all) of the knife manufacturers mentioned here, good quality though they may be, are making pretty small knives. I don't know; my personal philosophy is, if I am assaulted and the knife is the tool employed, I truly wish to kill at a distance IF I can. I don't intend to fight a bad guy with what amounts to a pocket knife. I have a CWL. I carry and practice with (and receive at least some training with) the weapons I carry. Those little knives -- putting your life on the line in a defensive situation? I DUNNO KNOW ABOUT THAT LUCY!

The only knife I ever carry is a case pen knife with a key chain loop on it. It is on a chain attached to my pocket watch...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I've had a few cold steel knives and I like them for that price. The triad lock is VERY strong and they use decent steel. Not top notch or anything, but it will do the trick.

If you stab someone with a high quality $500 custom with a 4" blade, or a crappy $20 4" blade, they will both make a 4" hole.

Edit: I carry a ZT301. Nice wide blade with a flipper and good steel.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Yes, they are still good knives.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, appparently, you've never held one of their Chinook folders, the Civilian, the Military....in fact, it sounds like you're pretty unfamiliar with Spyderco's full catalog. They do, in fact, make beastly knives. Not only that, but Sal Glesser, owner of Spyderco, is a regular on their own forum, and his happy to answer questions, or give advice about their knives.

"They" is a mighty-big group. If by "they", you mean the Cold Steel marketing propaganda, then no, they're NOT. Yet if the "they" means folks (like me) who've decided, regardless of over-the-top claims, that CS makes some pretty good, value-priced offerings? Then yes, they are.
    I do, however, tire of Lynn Thompson's "semi-Hemingway" persona. IMHO, better to let the product...speak for itself than to alienate a portion of the knife-buying market because of a hopelessly narcissistic personality.
    DingBat likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

They are way too Gimmicky for me. Its hard for me to take them seriously with all their videos.

I prefer Kershaw/SOG/CKRT over Cold Steel.

My usual EDC is a Kershaw at the moment.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    +1 about their stupid marketing. i've done some training with swords, japanese and western, no chinese or anything else. and i like the selection of usable, but affordable swords, and they offer a bunch of styles of about everything you could want, and a nice price range from entry to almost custom. i just hate their marketing. i would like to have a wad of cash to blow in one of their yearly parking lot sales, though it would mean venturing into Cali...gasp.

i guess i'd call them- good enough, not great, but good enough.

I would just go with a Benchmade or Spyderco.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Considering the steel that they use, Cold Steel doesn't always give the best bang for your buck. Maybe I'm a bit of a steel snob, but I don't think AUS8 knives made in Taiwan are supposed to cost that much.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links