Wasp Spray is NOT “Self-Defense” Spray

This is a discussion on Wasp Spray is NOT “Self-Defense” Spray within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This popped up in a now closed thread and prompted me to do a little quick research on the subject. This seemed to sum the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wasp Spray is NOT “Self-Defense” Spray

Wasp Spray is NOT “Self-Defense” Spray

This popped up in a now closed thread and prompted me to do a little quick research on the subject. This seemed to sum the subject up succinctly:

Wasp Spray vs. Pepper Spray for Self-Defense - Urban Legends

Analysis: U.S. residents tempted to avail themselves of this Internet-recommended self-defense option would do well consider that wasp spray is a pesticide, and federal law prohibits the use of any pesticide "in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

In addition, some states prohibit the use for self-protection of substances not specifically authorized for that purpose.

The main ingredient of pepper spray is capsaicin, an oil extracted from chili peppers which temporarily causes severe irritation of the eyes and lungs, producing a strong burning sensation and difficulty breathing.

Wasp sprays consist of one or more insecticides such as pyrethrum or propoxur. While the toxic side effects of such chemicals do, in fact, include eye and lung irritation in humans, they are poisons the main purpose of which is killing pests.

Notwithstanding variations among specific products (of which there are many), it's probably true that wasp and hornet sprays in general, because they're manufactured for use at greater distances, project further and more accurately than pepper sprays, which typically have a range of six to 10 feet. How reliably wasp and hornet sprays work as a deterrent against human assailants is bound to vary, however, given differences in formulation and the fact that they were not made for that purpose in the first place.

To my knowledge, no one has ever tested or documented the effectiveness of insecticide sprays for self-defense.

One reader who accidentally received a dose of wasp spray while using it around his home told me he was surprised at how little irritation he felt. "A gust of wind caused a good splash of the spray to come right back into my right eye," he wrote. "I panicked and started to run to a source of water, only to find there was no adverse reaction at all, no more than being squirted with a water pistol. It took me at least ten seconds to get to the water, and I rinsed it off, and never felt anything from it."

2. Remove Ads

started fluid and a match work better :)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    especially for getting that irritated burning feeling
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Always use the correct 'tools' for the job!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would think that wasp spray isn't very concealable either.

You say I can't.
    ABC news says I can.
    YouTube - Self Defense Tip

Who do I believe. The news would never lie to me. NEVER!
    Maybe I should just carry a gun. HeeHee

Realistically though, bug spray may not be the best option and should not be your only option. Having a firearm may not be an option for some, while some places restrict the sale of OC spray. Having a can or two stashed around the house is not a bad idea. (Incase of a wasp invasion.)
    It may not be the man stopper that a .45 is, but it might give you or your loved ones a few extra seconds get away or get to a better weapon.
    My point is, don't limit yourself.
    Remember: When it comes to pulling the trigger, it is ALWAYS the perspective of others which determine if you are a hero, or a criminal.

God, Guns, and Country, are all things I believe in.
    They are also the things that liberals are trying to take away.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Always use the correct 'tools' for the job!
    But if you can't get your hands on the right tools, improvise!

FWIW, I recently had my OC go off in my pocket. That incident taught me something. The OC I bought for my house needs to be locked up. It might be preferable to just shoot an intruder rather than set that spray off in my house!
    Hopyard likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

IIRC when I was in the Military we used to mess around with spray starch....and a lighter,the lemon scented stuff smelled like somebody burnt a lemon tree,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have sprayed myself in the face with wasp spray. It had no short term effects that would lead me to believe that it would be a deterrant in a self defense situation.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.
    tglassburner and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I have sprayed myself in the face with wasp spray. It had no short term effects that would lead me to believe that it would be a deterrant in a self defense situation.
    You did this why???
    swiftyjuan and tglassburner like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

An accidental test of wasp spray

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    You did this why???
    I have the experience of being able to compare the wasp spray with the pepper spray. I had an old cannister of pepper spray that I wanted to check. I went out back and tried it. It had no real pressure left, but dribbled out on my fingers. I mmediately disposed of the pepper spray, washed my hands thoroughly with orange pumice cleaner as well as soap and water, then forgot about it until much later in the day, when I raised my hand to rub my eye which was itching a little bit. I immediately felt a burning sensation just from the miniscule amount of residue on my finger. It was painful enough that I wondered what it must have been like if I had actually been sprayed with the undiluted pepper spray. It took about an hour of rinsing and enduring the discomfort before it finally faded away.

Some time later, I took some wasp spray out back to spray a nest that was being built at the corner of the house. It was a stream type, instead of a cloud spray, so I could use it high enough to reach the nest. A little gust of wind came along and turned the stream right back into my right eye. I immediately panicked, because of both the experience with the pepper spray and I had read the email suggesting the use of the wasp spray. But before I got to the back door to find some water, I realized there was no burning sensation at all, even though this was as though I had been squirted with a water pistol. I slowed down and took my time getting to the water to rinse it off, but never felt any pain. I used ten seconds as my guesstimate in the quote above, but it may have been longer. Even if it was as little as ten seconds, count to ten and realize what an enraged attacker could do to you in that time.

My concern is that someone, some time, will carry the wasp spray, and encounter a human or animal threat only to be killed because they bought into this hoax. I will pursue this up again, perhaps even to the point of making a video, simulating an attack on a human being, and allow myself to be sprayed with wasp spray to show this is a hoax--I would have plenty of time to do the damage. In my research, I could never find any report of this actually being used or tested for effectiveness.

JayJayJay

While my handgun is in the shop being worked I am packing my cordless nail gun!!!!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

In addition, some states prohibit the use for self-protection of substances not specifically authorized for that purpose.
    Note to self, never throw hot coffee, dust, sand or any other non authorized substance into the eyes of someone who is robbing me.
    I sometimes wonder what our legislators are thinking when they pass laws.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Note to self, never throw hot coffee, dust, sand or any other non authorized substance into the eyes of someone who is robbing me.
    I sometimes wonder what our legislators are thinking when they pass laws.

Michael
    As a general rule often times they are not thinking just reacting to some perceived need for a new law to justify their existence.
    64zebra likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links