Defensive Carry banner

Whats the best auto fighting folder?

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  fed_wif_a_sig 
#1 ·
Ok a new twist. Same requirements. 3.25" to 4" blade, high quality with a good lock. The proposed weapon will be carried daily and used frequently but also serves as a back up to my duty weapon. The only difference is this time I'm asking specifically about automatic opening knives.

I currently posess a Benchmade Mel Pardue but its a little small for a fighter.

Thanks again for your comments.

#8 ·
Retail Price: $450.00
Restricted to Active Duty Military or Law Enforcement personnel.

Introducing an OTF like none-other.. The new Infidel® is rapidly making believers out of many a skeptic. Built for strength and reliability the patent pending double-action mechanics get it done over the long haul. Grab on and you will find the handle grip rock-solid with its patented machined in Presidio® style bi-directional tread pattern, and overall generous sizing for gloved hands. Intuitively pressure the release-slide forward and its spear-point edged steel fires and locks up with a unique three-point retention system with amazingly negligible blade play. Reverse the process and the blade retracts in a rapid blur of motion.

The Benchmade Infidel is a special operator’s fantasy come true.

Blade Length: 3.95"
Blade Thickness: 0.118"
Blade Material: D2 Tool Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
Blade Style: Double Edge Dagger; Ambidextrous Thumb-Slide
Weight: 5.00oz.
Clip: Tip-Down, Black Anodized, Deep Pocket
Lock Mechanism: Double Action OTF Auto
Overall Length: 8.95"
Closed Length: 4.80"
Sheath Material: Sold Separately
Class: Black

See Also
> Model 5000 - Auto-Presidio® (Pardue)
> Model 710 - (McHenry & Williams)
> Model 530 - (Pardue)
Find More
> Double Action OTF Auto Mechanism Knives
> Double Edge Dagger; Ambidextrous Thumb-Slide Blade Knives
Dual Plain Edge/ D2 Tool Steel Blade/ Bi-Directional Handle Grip

#10 ·
Benchmade Resistor

I was a little too quick to submit my intial post on the Benchmade 4200 Resistor.

I should have mentioned that I was suggesting the 4200 because I felt that it was an incredible value for as little as $140. It is very thick and stout, and it has the Axis lock, which many people consider to be the strongest lock available on a folding knife.

However, if your budget can handle it, you can get some really nice tactical auto's for two or three... or maybe even four times that price.

One thing that I do not like about the Resistor is the pocket clip, which I consider rather flimsy compared to the knife itself.

#12 ·
erh if i had a choice i'd prefer a M-14, but sometimes we dont get what we'd like, LOL (that was meant to be funny)

I love the new Infidel but right now its still a little pricy. I looked at the AFO and the small Mel Pardue I have is awsome. Was pretty sure I'd get a folder but after much review and discussion I'm pretty sure I'll go with an auto for the quick deployment value, as long as I can get one that locks up real nice.

Another one I'm peaked at is the MOD Mark II, but again I'm holding off till I actually get my paws on them to feel them out.

Thanks for the imput guys I do read and learn from all.

Steve

#13 ·
fed_wif_a_sig said:
erh if i had a choice i'd prefer a M-14, but sometimes we dont get what we'd like, LOL (that was meant to be funny)

I love the new Infidel but right now its still a little pricy. I looked at the AFO and the small Mel Pardue I have is awsome. Was pretty sure I'd get a folder but after much review and discussion I'm pretty sure I'll go with an auto for the quick deployment value, as long as I can get one that locks up real nice.

Another one I'm peaked at is the MOD Mark II, but again I'm holding off till I actually get my paws on them to feel them out.

Thanks for the imput guys I do read and learn from all.

Steve
Hi Steve,
I just had to be the "Smart Ass" of the page; sometimes 'yah jus can't help it..!
I have several knives, but I gotta say "I love to here other's besides me, bring up the "Great M-14..!"

Take it easy; sorry I "Drifted your thread(s)..! :image035:

#15 ·
For years, I carried a Benchmade Auto exclusively when on duty. I still carry it quite often. However, I attended a class in which the Instructor pointed out that, with a standard autoknife, if the spring quits on you, you are left with a knife that won't open. I had never really considered that. Since then, I have given some thought to purchasing and carrying a double action. But they are SO expensive! Too bad I'm not independently wealthy.
Gonzo

#16 ·
fed_wif_a_sig said:
I've had both auto and manual MOD Dieter's (I's), and observe the following:
1) MOD uses carbon steel screws, not stainless. The heads will rust badly enough to spot clothing, with IWB carry, much less H2O exposure.
2) Said screws are threaded directly into the aluminum handles. For comparison, Microtech uses Helicoil stainless thread inserts. (Not much difference in $$)
3) The blade "bushings" are integrally milled highspots in the frame. Again, hardened tool steel rubbing on anodized aluminum. Hmmmmm....

MOD has some great designs, but (to me) leave something to be desired in the execution.

#21 ·
<<<rolls a flashbang at the feet of the "Lead Moderator" and remembers the saying......"Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt......then its hilarious".

I am pretty sure that its goning to be the MOD Mk 2. There is a knife show later this month here in Dallas so I'll wait till then. Hope Sal Glasser is there because he is an awsome guy and always gives great advice. (Much like you guys...but without the no laughing rules)

Steve (ROFLMAO)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.