Is the Spyderco Civilian right for me? - Page 2

Is the Spyderco Civilian right for me?

This is a discussion on Is the Spyderco Civilian right for me? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been my experience in the training of LE and civilian in defensive knife skills that one doesn't really need training in how to use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Spyderco Civilian right for me?

Sponsor
    It's been my experience in the training of LE and civilian in defensive knife skills that one doesn't really need training in how to use the knife offensively against another as much as one needs training in how to defend against the knife attack, both empty handed and with his own knife if he can get to it.

In the training arena, if the student [ or perp on the street ] doesn't know your [ the defenders ] ability and training they make mistakes, get too close, use classic slashing, overhands, and sometimes stabbing attempts.

Once the student [ or perp on the street ] knows the defender [ the instrictor or anotehr student ] has some knowledge of what is happening they become guarded, more reserved, and less apt or willing to make mistakes that can be used to the defenders advantage.

Then the fight is on for sure.

On the street, perps will be confident in their ability to use a weapon [ in this case the knife ] to intimidate the defender unless it is an all out murder with no underlying motive like robbery, abduction or some other scenario.

That confidence on the perps part can be used to the defenders advantage. How the defender "appears" to be in fear, how the defender acts physically can be used to an advantage in these situations.

How I would use a folder like the Civilian will be somewhat different than another who doesn't have training in defensvie tactics with a blade, of course.

In my own case, I understand the weapons strengths and weaknesses. No different than knowing the strenghts and weaknesses of a knife designed like the Kerambit.

If the knife has a very fine point, I would not attack hard targets with stabbing blows perhaps, if the knife doesn't have a fine thin edge, I may not want to use it on heavy clothing, but go for exposed skin like the wrists, neck, etc.;

If it has a serrated edge, I certainly do not want to use it against some materials as the blade can likely be slowed down enough to not allow a cut deep enough. Certain designs of serrations are poor at best in this regard. Not all serrated edges are equal in their cutting ability.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; July 25th, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    Back to the design of the civilain the tip of the blade is designed to break off into bone/flesh mass and infilct more damage.
    No. Mass, you might want to check in over at www.totalprotectioninteractive.com and search the Civilian there. Sal (Spyderco's owner) checks in regularly.

One other observation I would have is that if you already have limited mobility, you might want to check out the new waved Spydies, or a Disciple/Clinch Pick

If you can carry one, fixed will always be faster than folder, and a "wave" draw faster than thumbing. Having said that, if you practice getting it out, the Civvie is a formidable weapon. Essentially, think of boxing, but putting your fist's POI about 3-4" above the target, so that you "hit" with the blade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links