Cold Steel Recon 1

Cold Steel Recon 1

This is a discussion on Cold Steel Recon 1 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got my new Recon 1. I also got a Benchmade Griptilian as a new carry knife. But back to the Recon 1. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cold Steel Recon 1

Cold Steel Recon 1

So I got my new Recon 1. I also got a Benchmade Griptilian as a new carry knife. But back to the Recon 1. I got this knife because of the reviews of how sharp and strong it is. Well I'll say this, I have one compliant..... band-aids are hard to open with one hand

It's a sweet knife. It's gigantic. It flicks open REAL fast, you just have to make you don't get in the way of the 4" blade in ANY way :)

I'll take some pictures later, but here's a google pic for anybody who doesn't know what it is. Mine is the same, Tanto, but half serrated.

Nice! A couple of buddies at work are sportin that blade. Those things have some heft.

GM
    Very nice! Congrats. I have been looking at that blade for a while now, but I am afraid it might be too big for comfortable pocket carry. I will be waiting for your picks to see how big it really is.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It is a beast of a knife. I didn't really buy it to carry. I bought it mainly because I thought they were cool and I have a small knife collection. I may carry it from time to time, but my main carry knives are the Benchmade Griptilian I just bought, Benchmade/Hk Nitrous Blitz and a SOG Trident.

The Recon 1 can be a bit tough to qucikly one hand open because the Tri-Ad-Lock is super tough. You really have to flick your wrist. With some practice and a few band-aids later, it becomes easier. I'm used to springs assists because that's what I've carried for years. And this thing is the sharpest knife I've ever handled. There is even a warning on the box. You think "yeah, well isn't every knife sharp?".... they're not kidding, this thing is serious. The handle also has a very course, yet nice texture for grip, but in turn makes it a little tough to get out of your pocket in a hurry. Since this is mainly a "tactical" blade, getting it in a hurry is important. I'd rather carry my utility blades and if if forced into a defensive situation, (highly doubt it) they'd do the trick just fine.

I do want to get the Cold Steel Mini AK-47 because it has the same features as the Recon one, yet it's smaller, and has the "Wave" opening tab, which looks awesome. I handled one at BassPro and the grip (on the Recon as well) is VERY ergonomic!

Administrator
    I don't think that it would be physically too large to carry provided that there are no state blade length restrictions.
    I daily carry a SOG Pentagon Elite II with a 5" blade without any problem.

Most of my blades are Cold Steel as I think they make a good quality knife for the price. That one you have is a hoss.

Attachment 24586
    Lawman w/G-19
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have carried the same Cold Steel Voyager for 10 to 12 years now. Tanto blade serrated with the plastic pocket clip that wont destroy your pants pocket. To this day I absolutely love my Cold Steel Voyager. I have been meaning to get a new one, but they don't make them with the molded pocket clip anymore...
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

I have both blade shapes of the Recon and I think it is a tank of a knife. The G10 is a little rough on my pockets but it is very tough.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

The grips are VERY rough and difficult to get out of your pocket. But once in your hand, they feel great! I couldn't resist. I just went out to the store and bought a Mini Ak47. The wave opening feature is awesome. Who needs an automatic? :) And it's just as sharp as the Recon 1 :D

Here are a few pictures of my selection. My favorites and most frequently carried are the Benchmade/Hk, Benchmade Griptilian (atleast it will be frequently carried) and my SOG Trident. May have to start carry the Mini AK.

Glock Survival knife, Cold Steel Recon 1, SOG Trident, Geber Covert FAST, Benchmade Griptilian, Benchmade Hk Nitrous Blitz, Boker Kalashnikov automatic, S&W OTF, Benchmade Hk Ally, SOG Twitch II and Kershaw Chive

With my new Mini AK47 (fun to open, I'm going to destroy my pockets!)

My biggest folder with my smallest gun :)

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Here are a few pictures of my selection. My favorites and most frequently carried are the Benchmade/Hk, Benchmade Griptilian (atleast it will be frequently carried) and my SOG Trident. May have to start carry the Mini AK.

Glock Survival knife, Cold Steel Recon 1, SOG Trident, Geber Covert FAST, Benchmade Griptilian, Benchmade Hk Nitrous Blitz, Boker Kalashnikov automatic, S&W OTF, Benchmade Hk Ally, SOG Twitch II and Kershaw Chive

-- picture --

With my new Mini AK47 (fun to open, I'm going to destroy my pockets!)

-- picture --

My biggest folder with my smallest gun :)

-- picture --
    Nice collection! Congrats
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have the Cold Steel Recon 1 as well. Great knife but it is big for EDC. I like them. I hear what you are saying about them being sharp.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Was out to the new Fox and Hound restaurant with some friends. Order a steak, and what do you know, I didn't get a steak knife. Instead of asking for one like a normal person, out came the Cold Steel :) Sliced into the steak better than any steak knife I've ever used. It was fantastic. Good steak too.

VIP Member
    RKM,

My Cold Steel Recon is a little thicker and longer then yours! Here, let me whip it out

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Cool

I like Cold Steel knives and in staying with Old School I really like my Randall.

photo.jpg
    Click to enlarge
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links