Assisted Opening Knives and The Law.

This is a discussion on Assisted Opening Knives and The Law. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still confused about the difference between a switchblade and the assisted opening knives.A year or 2 ago,I bought a Buck knife from Wal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Assisted Opening Knives and The Law.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Assisted Opening Knives and The Law.

I am still confused about the difference between a switchblade and the assisted opening knives.A year or 2 ago,I bought a Buck knife from Wal Mart.There is a latch on the top,pull latch down and push the lever above the latch,blade springs open and locks.I do not have to touch the thumb stud to open this.In the 1970's,I had a few 'real' switchblades that came from Mexico.The button on these was on the side of the handle.So,what is the real difference,from a legal stand-point?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

2. Remove Ads

In Florida...not a problem! Gotta' love FL.
    You'll have to research your own state...thoroughly!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I read the law concerning this in Texas.I just do not see an obvious difference between this knife and a switchblade.As I mentioned,purchased this at Wal Mart. BUCK 290PLT RUSH,It seems too me there could be a lot of confusion,from a legal stand-point.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

RKM
    Spring assisted blades work in such a way that you're manually starting the blade by touching the blade it's self via thumb stud and applying pressure to start the movement. Then the spring "assists" the rest of the way. A switchblade is just that. You press a switch and the blade comes out automatically. Honestly, I don't see how a switchblade is really an faster or for that matter any more dangerous. They're illegal to carry in most states and illegal to own in some. I have manual folders, assisted folders and one side opening switchblade. The switchblades most are familiar with as the double action OTF type. Only illegal, I think, due to the stigma of gangsters using them in the 30's and 40's, etc. Is it more difficult to harm somebody with a fast manual folding knife? Not really.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    As an example this is the New York Penal Code definition:

"Switchblade knife" means any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    As an example this is the New York Penal Code definition:

"Switchblade knife" means any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.
    This is why I would not carry this knife.I do not have to touch the thumb stud,and it flips open by pushing the lever.Strange Wal Mart would sell them.I consider most knives equally dangerous.A steak knife from the Dollar Store can cause as much damage as a $300 folder.Good information ,thanks.

VIP Member
    Under North Carolina law they are banned but still sold.

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
    (d) This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That lever is actually a part of the blade (under piece of the blade), so therefore you must touch the blade to start the opening the action. The only way to ban these types on knives is to state any knife that can be opened with one hand. Spring action still implies that the user does need to start the action. Assisted opening knives are a grey area in some states.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I live in Maine I purchased the style knife you are describing from Dick's as it was made by one of my favorite knife makers Gerber.I went to court and you know it the knife was in my pocket the whole 3 inchesc of it.The officer gave it back to me after I got done with what ever I was suppose to do.He told me it was illegal even though it was sold in the store.It was due to the spring assited opening devuice.I had a real switch blade and I was afraid of it because it open so fast.I got rid of it.

Yeah, what they said. It is an assisted opening knife because you have to help get the blade started by pushing on that little stud, or lever, which is attached to the blade itself. A switchblade opens 100% on its own by pressing a button or switch which releases the blade.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yeah, what they said. It is an assisted opening knife because you have to help get the blade started by pushing on that little stud, or lever, which is attached to the blade itself. A switchblade opens 100% on its own by pressing a button or switch which releases the blade.
    All of these silly little interpretations and differentiations could be eliminated if we amended the constitution and spelled out our right to keep and bear arms. We should have done that 200 years ago.

What difference does it make if it's a lever or a switch or a thumb stud? These feel-good laws were passed to get votes in ancient elections and they are unconstitutional.
    DamnitBob, dmg1, TVJ and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    All of these silly little interpretations and differentiations could be eliminated if we amended the constitution and spelled out our right to keep and bear arms. We should have done that 200 years ago.

What difference does it make if it's a lever or a switch or a thumb stud? These feel-good laws were passed to get votes in ancient elections and they are unconstitutional.
    I agree with that statement!!! Just plain silly laws and rules. My compnay bans all blades on the property and we even have a rifle range. Go figure. They don't really enforce the stupid rule until someone asks HR for clarification. All these stupid laws and rules and criminals do whatever they want.

Sponsor
    What really torques me about the whole "Switch Blade" thing is the fact the tool in question was designed by Schrade originally for use by sailors who had to be able to deploy a knife to clear fouled rigging in inclement weather while maintaining a life grip with one hand. Knives in belt sheaths could tangle in nets and rigging and were generally a no-no.

How did Hollywierd manage to bastardize a lifesaving tool into an evil, self aware killing machine?

BTW, in OH it's illegal to import or manufacture a switchblade; Modify a non automatic knife to an auto; Carry an automatic knife. But it is not illegal to carry an assisted opening blade. I can deploy most of my folders(even my non assisted knives) as fast or faster than any auto blade that I have ever handled.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    . I can deploy most of my folders(even my non assisted knives) as fast or faster than any auto blade that I have ever handled.
    Exactly.

Practice alot, either hand, and you can get a well ergonomically designed knife to open just as fast.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    : God Bless the Sunshine State

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links