Mother-in-law looking for Stun Gun

This is a discussion on Mother-in-law looking for Stun Gun within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother-in-law has asked if I had any advice about which stun gun is the best. She's worried about being attacked by dogs in her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mother-in-law looking for Stun Gun

My mother-in-law has asked if I had any advice about which stun gun is the best. She's worried about being attacked by dogs in her neighborhood.

She does not want to carry a firearm due to her vision so that's out of the question for the time being.

I've sent her 2 options so far, but I am curious about what other options may be better for her. My husband has suggested a baton or pepper spray fog, but we don't know which brand would be the best.

Pepper Blaster:
    Kimber Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster II Pepper Spray Gel 10% OC Red - MidwayUSA

Stun Gun:
    Sabre 400,000 Volt Stun Gun uses Two 9 Volt Batteries (Not Included) Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

The pepper blaster only gives you two shots. And would need to be aimed which is hard at a charging dog.

Stun Guns don't really work except to scare them away. And they'd already be biting her.

I'd say a fog pepper spray would be best out of those.

But a firearm would be better. How bad is her eye sight. If it's truly terrible none of the above will likely work either.

Does she have any other limitations besides eye sight?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

She wears bifocals and her major issue is that she can't transition between looking at the sights and the target. I completely understand her situation having poor eyesight myself, so I don't want to push her too much about firearms.

She's also arthritic and has a hard time cycling the weapon. We've tried to get her to shoot a variety of firearms and even offered to take her to the range to rent what she really wants, but I think the interest just isn't there.

I'm hoping that by her carrying a less-lethal option she will eventually come around to carrying a firearm.

Which fog would you recommend? Would a taser be overkill? I've been looking at the Taser C2.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    You may wish to try that Taser C2, which my wife and I carry. It has a built in laser site that comes on when activated and it gives her a 15 foot range. I carry it as my wife doesn't wnat me to kill the pitbull next door that attacked me last September. She would like to have the PD do it as not to upset the Neighborhood with the sound of 15 rounds 9mm +P+! If you love them you take a bullet, in this case another bite for them!! Here is the link: Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Cattle prod!
    Old School likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

RKM
    My father has trifocals. He doesn't have any serious issues shooting. He doesn't carry, but up close, sights are next to worthless anyway.

For stricly dogs, I'd think pepper spray would be the best option. That Kimber thing looks kinda cool. I might want one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andriss View Post
    Would a taser be overkill? I've been looking at the Taser C2.
    The problem with a Taser is that it requires even more "aiming" especially because you only get ONE shot.

There's a video of a cop tasering a dog. Once the shock was over the dog got right back up. In his case it ran away but that may not always happen.

Fox Labs
    http://www.amazon.com/Labs-Defense-S.../dp/B002S512GG
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by Andriss View Post
    My mother-in-law has asked if I had any advice about which stun gun is the best. She's worried about being attacked by dogs in her neighborhood.

She does not want to carry a firearm due to her vision so that's out of the question for the time being.

I've sent her 2 options so far, but I am curious about what other options may be better for her. My husband has suggested a baton or pepper spray fog, but we don't know which brand would be the best.

Pepper Blaster:
    Kimber Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster II Pepper Spray Gel 10% OC Red - MidwayUSA

Stun Gun:
    Sabre 400,000 Volt Stun Gun uses Two 9 Volt Batteries (Not Included) Polymer Black - MidwayUSA
    I carry the stun gun that looks like a cell phone. Also doubles as a flashlight. Has a lifetime guarantee. Gunshop owner told me to just bring it back if it ever quit working. Kind of handy in those places where you can't legally carry your gun. Supposedly has five million volts...

Immobilizer Cell Phone Stun Gun - The Ultimate Self Defense Weapon

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it's better than nothing. As a side note, it scares the hell out of the cat.

Cool

Hiram 25 has suggested a cattle prod and that is an excellent idea for someone with vision problems in the situation you describe. It gives distance with its length, makes a crackling noise when activated and takes no aiming. As a young man I worked on a cattle ranch and from first hand expierence I know these devices can get your attention.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/hot-s...ttle-prod.html
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Hiram 25 has suggested a cattle prod and that is an excellent idea for someone with vision problems in the situation you describe. It gives distance with its length, makes a crackling noise when activated and takes no aiming. As a young man I worked on a cattle ranch and from first hand expierence I know these devices can get your attention.

Hot Shot 36" Red Battery Operated Cattle Prod - SS36
    I went to a somewhat Rural High school,every now and then one of the farm kids would sneak a cattle prod into his locker,I got zapped more than once,I will say they work pretty darn good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would go with the cattle prod.

it could also be used as a heavy stick.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    dsee...you're right about the aiming....I think she would have to utilize just as much eyesight with a taser as she would a gun
    no matter what she gets she has to be trained, taught how to use it, and what-ifs

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    There's a video of a cop tasering a dog. Once the shock was over the dog got right back up. In his case it ran away but that may not always happen.
    we had a car chase/foot chase with burglar, he ran into a backyard where a pit was chained, first two officers fighting with suspect when 3rd arrives as the pit breaks his chain, 3rd officer had his taser out approaching the fight and fired at the dog, one probe in neck, other in abdomen, he locked up bouncing up and down on all four feet, when the 5 seconds was over he turned and ran out the yard to street and ran 2 blocks down to a semi-major street and was hit/killed by a car....one of the probes was found in the right front tire
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think pepper spray would be better for her in this situation since you get multiple shots with certain brands.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

dont buy bear spray...regulated and watered down...get the stuff the postman carries...10-20-30% capsazine....or the product sold by arms makers.. and be careful...give your self a dose, an you'll know true pain...and if your going to get a cattle prod..invest in a sword cane...its just darkly funny..picturing someone buzz zapping a pitbull with a cattle prod...energizer pitbull.......

Cheap and Effective

Have her carry Wasp and Hornet Spray. Works like a charm on any animal. Most of them shoot about 20'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links