Who knows about Saps?

This is a discussion on Who knows about Saps? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An old friend who was a Deputy got into a fight-for-your-life one night and used his sap against a chemically enhanced individual who was quite ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Who knows about Saps?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    An old friend who was a Deputy got into a fight-for-your-life one night and used his sap against a chemically enhanced individual who was quite literally trying to kill him. Later found out he had around 30 skull fracture impact points. Definitely a lethal weapon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All I know about Saps (slungshot), other than what a I saw in old detective movies, is they are flatout illegal in Florida. If they weren't, I think I'd have one stuffed in a pocket.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum so forgive this question if it's already been covered a million times elsewhere on here.

My question is: HOW do you check local laws and laws of places you might be visiting without arousing suspicion on yourself?

I've been browsing the net and haven't been able to find this answer.

I might be moving to a city where risks will be a lot higher than where I currently live. I want to be prepared should I not be able to avoid a bad situation at some point, but I also don't want to be surprised by a felony charge for carrying a sap or blackjack for protection if an officer pats me down for some reason. I'm not a troublemaker, I'm a pretty boring guy, I just want to even the odds should some inescapable situation arise. For that matter, I don't even know if I can carry a sap or a blackjack where I currently live.

Thanks for any help in answering my question.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Arty,

First off you need to find out if you are permitted to carry such an item by state law, if legal by state law you need to find out if local municipalities have the ability to place further restrictions on such items, typically this is called "preemption" whereby the state preempts any attempts made at the local level to pass laws more stringent than state law. This may apply to guns and and other weapons, or just guns. If legal by state law, but municipalities DO have the ability to enact other laws regarding, you need to look at local ordinances (city and county etc.), sometimes these are available on-line, or you may need to contact local PD or sheriff's office to obtain a hard copy of the ordinances.

If asked why, simply tell them you're new to the area and want to know the laws of your new home.

Now all that being said, I'm fairly certain that carrying a sap or blackjack in Illinois is probably going to be illegal.

The Illinois code/statute site is kind of jacked up, but I did find the following:

(
    720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
    Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons
    when he knowingly:
    (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or
    carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club,
    sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon
    regardless of its composition,

Thanks

Check this out PERRIN SELF-DEFENSE WALLET.
    Good stuff and not obvious as a weapon.

perrin_wallet.jpg

{ SZABOINC }

Wired1979

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In Iowa, the permit to carry is a permit to carry weapons and Saps etc. are able to be carried.

I've often though I might like to have something a little less obvious than an ASP etc. and a nice flat sap might not be a bad thing to keep in the leg pocket of my pants.

So...where can I find a good sap and what are good/bad things to look for in one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links