Got called paranoid at work today

This is a discussion on Got called paranoid at work today within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for carrying pepper spray!! My company does not allow us to carry firearms and I abide by the rules. So I carry a can of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Got called paranoid at work today

for carrying pepper spray!! My company does not allow us to carry firearms and I abide by the rules. So I carry a can of spray with me. It fits nicely in my pocket and is not an inconvenience in any way. I just find it so unbelievable that someone would say I am paranoid!! If they only knew that I carry my S&Wv virtually everywhere else even at home! Sorry just had to vent in a place where people understand!! Anyone else get called paranoid for pepper spray?!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Don't take it to heart. They're called sheep for a reason.
    babarock, Pepsi, bps3040 and 2 others like this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

How did it play out?
    Did someone see the spray and ask you what it was for? What was your answer? Paranoid of what? People, attacking dogs...? Are mailmen paranoid?
    I can see people being edgy around firearms, but pepper spray? What kind of person thought you were paranoid, and of what?

I was having a conversation with someone else when the subject came up. He asked if I was worried about someone at work attacking me. i said no, but there are time when I go places other than home after work and that anything can happen anywhere! Most people there know that my wife and I take our personal protection fairly seriously, I was just surprised at the blatant sheepism going on!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Been there, been called that. I always say, "Paranoia is an unfounded and unreasonable fear...do you watch the news or read the paper? What do I have to be paranoid about...I take reasonable measures to protect myself and my family from real issues in our society."
    97tbird and Old School like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    I was having a conversation with someone else when the subject came up. He asked if I was worried about someone at work attacking me. i said no, but there are time when I go places other than home after work and that anything can happen anywhere! Most people there know that my wife and I take our personal protection fairly seriously, I was just surprised at the blatant sheepism going on!!
    Definitely not a conversation I ever want to have.

Welcome Mr. Par A Noid Just call em Mr/Mrs Vic T um
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yeah, in retrospect I should have kept my mouth shut!! Lesson learned. I just didn't expect such a reaction about pepper spray!
    21bubba likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

I would say pre-planning for the worst case!

97tbird, have you ever thought about a Taser (Not a weapon in many states)? When I travel for work I carry a C2 since I can't carry in Cali. and Colo.! When I fly I have to go bare, scary Another thing, I keep a safe in my car where I lock up my carry when I go into places that tell me I can't carry in their place of business, i.e., courts, PDs, attorney offices, post offices! I use the MVB500 MICROVAULT BIOMETRIC (Biometric Gun Safes | GunVault) with the cable around the front seat mounts. We all remember the Beer Distributor in New York! Fire someone for stealing and they come back and open season in the warehouse! No pepper spray will stop that!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Tasers cannot be carried in CT. Funny, I can carry around a gun but not a taser!! I have thought about putting a safe in the car, but haven't, and I think that the firearms ban includes the parking lot, no parking lot protection laws in CT yet. I feel pretty comfortable with the pepper spray if I can't carry and most of the time if I am going somewhere after work I stop home first and gear up!! I know that anything can happen anywhere but I do live in a fairly quiet town and my commute is only about 3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    Tasers cannot be carried in CT. Funny, I can carry around a gun but not a taser!! I have thought about putting a safe in the car, but haven't, and I think that the firearms ban includes the parking lot, no parking lot protection laws in CT yet. I feel pretty comfortable with the pepper spray if I can't carry and most of the time if I am going somewhere after work I stop home first and gear up!! I know that anything can happen anywhere but I do live in a fairly quiet town and my commute is only about 3 miles.
    Put a safe in your car where it can't be seen and don't tell anyone. Some states have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" clause...not sure about yours. There is ONE thing you can do that your employer has NO right under Federal Law to search...YOUR MAIL. Send yourself an EMPTY envelope (larger cardboard kind). When you receive your envelope, open it and surprise, it is empty. Now, put your post marked envelope in your car and place your firearm in it in your car and tape it shut and your employer cannot look at your mail or it is a Federal Offense. Consider putting the enveloped firearm in a safe in your car.

Remember, the envelope was empty when you sent it to yourself. The only purpose of that was to have it postmarked. You are not actually mailing a firearm, you are just storing it in the empty postmarked envelope because your employer cannot look in it or it is a Federal Offense.

I researched this issue at length when I was dealing with the same issue at work.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Actually BugDude I checked into that one by asking my legal beagle, he says that since it is already opened mail and not sent with the object in it, it is no longer technically US Mail it is a postmarked envelope. Might work as a deturrant but then you would have some explaining to do as to why you had a firearm in a package ready to mail
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Actually BugDude I checked into that one by asking my legal beagle, he says that since it is already opened mail and not sent with the object in it, it is no longer technically US Mail it is a postmarked envelope. Might work as a deturrant but then you would have some explaining to do as to why you had a firearm in a package ready to mail
    But nobody would know that unless you're dumb enough to tell them. Its a version of the shell game, and in 99.99999% of cases, it would work as planned.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had a relative of mine who once said I must be very paranoid because I carry two guns... I said " Paranoid? What have I got to be paranoid about? I have 2 guns!"
    Riana likes this.

Last time somebody called me paranoid some poser got elected potus.I'm not paranoid,I'm a realist,crime in the USA is getting worse,and the higher unemployment means desperate people will do whatever it takes to pay rent and or put food on the table,besides all the drug addicts looking for an easy score
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links