pepper spray! Wow! - Page 2

pepper spray! Wow!

This is a discussion on pepper spray! Wow! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some jurisdictions prohibit it. As mentioned, carefully check you laws on use of OC spray. Example (not a good one either) Washington DC requires you ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: pepper spray! Wow!

Some jurisdictions prohibit it. As mentioned, carefully check you laws on use of OC spray.

Example (not a good one either)

Washington DC requires you to inform the cops after buying a can of OC. Stupid yes, but it's the law. Personally I'd rather protect myself and deal with the legal ramifications later. As mentioned Fox Labs and Sabre Red are top shelf items.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Check your state laws for restrictions, many states limit the volume you can carry, some limit it to less than 2 oz. Also, you need to be sure that everyone knows NOT to hang around to see what happens after deploying pepper spray. Use every second to get away.

For non trained individuals, go with the cone or fog spray, NOT the stream, trying to get a straight stream into the right places on an attacker when you are trying to deal with the adrenaline rush is not an easy task. The cone or fog makes it more likely to get in the right places.

Stick with the major brands, Fox, Sabre, Etc. Look at the flip top cans for non trained individuals since it's far more forgiving in pockets and purses and is very easy to deploy when needed.
    "Adric22" this is great advice from "NC Bullseye" I took his same advice a couple of weeks ago. I now carry a 2oz can "Fox Labs 5.3" (flip-top, cone) The only thing I carried before was lethal force ( handgun, knife) but lets face it, there is a lot of "trouble" out there that doesn't require lethal force. I now have another option to work with. I don't know about you but I figure I'm too young to die...but too old to take a beating. Now I feel I can handle a much larger realm of circumstances than I could have before I carried the OC spray. Just another weapon in the arsenal. One word of caution though...if I keep adding things to my "arsenal" I'm going to have to get an LEO duty belt or a "Batman" utility belt. Handgun at 3:00, spare mag at 9:00, OC spray at 10:30, tactical knife in left front pocket, kubaton in right front pocket...
    mauser1959 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge

ASP Street Defender, First Defense .68 oz. and 1.47 oz.

The ASP is always with me. The other two are carried on my person and in the vehicles. I like First Defense but Fox and Sabre are also excellent sprays. I prefer the combination of OC/CS.

As with several of the others I have been sprayed in training and had to continue defending myself which was no easy task but is possible for a determined individual.

TEXAS: Legal.

It is permissible to possess a "small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection". 10 Texas Penal Code Section 46.01 (14).
    Last edited by Old School; June 7th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    Good advice.

I got both flip and regular top 2oz Fox.

I carry in off side front pocket with nothing else.

I find the regular top much quicker to grip correctly by feel in my pocket.

My thumb finds the "U" cutout of the regular top much easier.

Avoid pushing the trigger and the unit fails to discharge.

Practice.
    Even with a empty pocket carrying a "cop top" you still have a good chance of getting a sample of your spray where you REALLY do not want it. I've ran across a few instances where getting up from a booth in a restaurant the corner of the table found the button through the pants and made for a less than leisurely exit from the restaurant.

Same with the key chain units. I have a friend that found out how not to squat down with one clipped to his pocket.

Once again this is something that needs to be thought through and practiced, not just bought and tossed into the pocket or purse.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Even with a empty pocket carrying a "cop top" you still have a good chance of getting a sample of your spray where you REALLY do not want it. I've ran across a few instances where getting up from a booth in a restaurant the corner of the table found the button through the pants and made for a less than leisurely exit from the restaurant.

Same with the key chain units. I have a friend that found out how not to squat down with one clipped to his pocket.

Once again this is something that needs to be thought through and practiced, not just bought and tossed into the pocket or purse.

Good advice. Thanks for mentioning the table issue.

So far, so good on my protocol, practice deployment, and carry.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Timing is every bit as important as formula when it comes to OC. The time to spray is before someone gets a hold of you and with as much surprise as possible for maximum effect. If they are goal oriented and focused (i.e. already have a grip on you and are wailing on you like a pinata) you have missed an important window of opportunity. You may take away their ability to see, but they can certainly still do you some damage.

Remember, the heat value is determined by Scoville Heat Units as indicated on the label. The reputable self defense sprays range from 500,000 to 2,000,000+ SHUs. The percentage ratings (5%, 10%, etc.) mean little other than the time duration of the effect. As some podters have already stated, OC does not work on everyone and you should know ahead of time what effect it will have on you when you end up getting some of it back. Get the stream to minimize cross contamination and blowback and be sure and check your local laws governing use of Chemical Agents and Self Defense tools.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

The Kimber doesn't spray, it goes **POP**. Contains 2 shots. Anyone have any experience with that one? It was the recommendation of the trainers at the course I took.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    The Kimber doesn't spray, it goes **POP**. Contains 2 shots. Anyone have any experience with that one? It was the recommendation of the trainers at the course I took.
    Personally I'd rather have the 15 to 18 shots from a smaller easier to carry MK3 container of Fox Labs 5.3.

Given Murphy's never ending habit of following me around, I'd not want to bet the farm on getting the first shot on target with adrenaline pumping and me trying to move off center while trying to aim.

I bought some of this last night at Academy. (the store) and it came with a practice canister that just shoots water. But that was great because it gave me the opportunity to see exactly how far and wide the spray would shoot. It says in the directions that you should carry it in your hand when you are walking, jogging, etc. I suppose the idea is anytime you are out in public, you should have it in your hand. That way the moment you jump to condition orange or red you are ready to start spraying.

I also bought a canister for my wife, but she didn't really seem to want it. Her answer was "I already carry a gun, why do I need this?" I tried to get her to watch some of those youtube videos showing how the stuff worked, but she didn't want to see them. I would have probably said the same thing a few weeks ago. But now I realize that the pepper spray is something I can hold in my hand and be ready to use instantly, where I can't walk around with the gun in my hand. And now that I've seen how agonizing and incapacitating it is, I think I'd almost rather spray an attacker with the stuff than shoot them. Most of the poor folks on youtube have a bucket of water nearby. Imagine what kind of hell it would be if you were out on the street and got sprayed with that stuff. Nowhere to go wash it off. That would certainly teach somebody a lesson they'd never forget. And, of course, I always have my gun to fall back on.

For what it is worth, I have sprayed some mean people with pepper spray and it only seemed to piss them off more. They are still able to cause much damage. Just be aware of that small fact.

Here is an example:

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I remember just a few weeks ago when I asked advise on OC from "guantes" and "NC Bullseye" they both told me if I had to use it, to spray and get away "don't hang around to watch the show"
    TVJ and jwhite75 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are some SD scenarios where OC spray may be a lot more appropriate than pulling your weapon. I've been in situations whre OC spray would be appropriate but not a firearm. Disparity of force can still be a factor even if a woman is involved

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I bought some of this last night at Academy. (the store) and it came with a practice canister that just shoots water. But that was great because it gave me the opportunity to see exactly how far and wide the spray would shoot. It says in the directions that you should carry it in your hand when you are walking, jogging, etc. I suppose the idea is anytime you are out in public, you should have it in your hand. That way the moment you jump to condition orange or red you are ready to start spraying.

I also bought a canister for my wife, but she didn't really seem to want it. Her answer was "I already carry a gun, why do I need this?" I tried to get her to watch some of those youtube videos showing how the stuff worked, but she didn't want to see them. I would have probably said the same thing a few weeks ago. But now I realize that the pepper spray is something I can hold in my hand and be ready to use instantly, where I can't walk around with the gun in my hand. And now that I've seen how agonizing and incapacitating it is, I think I'd almost rather spray an attacker with the stuff than shoot them. Most of the poor folks on youtube have a bucket of water nearby. Imagine what kind of hell it would be if you were out on the street and got sprayed with that stuff. Nowhere to go wash it off. That would certainly teach somebody a lesson they'd never forget. And, of course, I always have my gun to fall back on.
    Please do not take this the wrong way but your wife's mindset is a major life changing (for the worse) event waiting to happen. She really needs instructions on level of force responses and the understanding that a gun is the LAST level. OC spray fills a vast void in the levels of response to non deadly threats.
    Stubborn and jwhite75 like this.

Ahh, OC, I have been exposed multiple times, and it is not a pleasant experience by far either. I'm a firm believer in training with what you carry, so you know how YOU will respond/react if you are "hit" with it. I forbid my lady to carry OC until she was exposed, and she is thankful now. I know what it is like to get hit with OC, and I would react accordingly towards a bad guy if they had OC to attack me with in regards to level of force.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I carry fox spray (stream) in a holder made by comptac.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links