pepper spray! Wow! - Page 3

pepper spray! Wow!

This is a discussion on pepper spray! Wow! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyone reacts in a different way. We use Freeze +p which is a OC/CS mix. I have seen people whom it only pissed off. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: pepper spray! Wow!

Everyone reacts in a different way. We use Freeze +p which is a OC/CS mix. I have seen people whom it only pissed off. I have also seen people dropped by it. That's me. I have a real problem with the stuff. I had to pry my eyes open with my fingers to be able to walk, my eyes were swollen shut for three days, and it made my eye lashes and chest hair fall out. I NEVER want to do that again. I have never used the stuff myself. It affects me so badly that I consider it safer to go hands on, than to disable
    myself with OC. Give me a Taser any day.

I carry Fox Labs and behind that a G-19 for those that need things heated up a bit to get their attention. Signature at the bottom of this........ Taken 4 Gunfighting Classes in the last 18 months. What have you taken!!! Front Sight, lot of basic stuff you will not see in a real Gun Fighting Class. Tasers maybe if they stand still on the X. After two shots/misses that is all over.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I carry Fox Labs and behind that a G-19 for those that need things heated up a bit to get their attention. Signature at the bottom of this........ Taken 4 Gunfighting Classes in the last 18 months. What have you taken!!! Front Sight, lot of basic stuff you will not see in a real Gun Fighting Class. Tasers maybe if they stand still on the X. After two shots/misses that is all over.....
    I meant that I would rather be tased than sprayed any day.

I am very sensitive to OC, and I am pretty happy with MSI brand spray. When I worked at a fire station that covered the local jail I met one corrections officer who was unaffected by it at all. I watched him walk into a cell and drag a sprayed inmate out while everyone around was gagging and coughing. I would occasionally meet a criminal who was too intoxicated to be affected, too.

As for me, even the backspray messes up my vision and breathing pretty bad. I believe if anybody threatend me with a spray I'd shoot them since I doubt I could fight back or protect my gun from being taken.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I am very sensitive to OC, and I am pretty happy with MSI brand spray. When I worked at a fire station that covered the local jail I met one corrections officer who was unaffected by it at all. I watched him walk into a cell and drag a sprayed inmate out while everyone around was gagging and coughing. I would occasionally meet a criminal who was too intoxicated to be affected, too.

As for me, even the backspray messes up my vision and breathing pretty bad. I believe if anybody threatend me with a spray I'd shoot them since I doubt I could fight back or protect my gun from being taken.
    Me too.

I always carry pepper spray as part of my EDC package........ just make sure you realize it can take you out too if you get carless.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Spray should not take the place of your EDC, but it will add another non-lethal alternative and time to get away.

I highly recommend.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I, like others, have been sprayed for training. With both spray and foam. Both whipped me. In our training we were told that the more people were exposed to it the less effective it becomes when being used on the BG. There are also some with marking dye in the spray that really make it easy for the BG to be found if he was able to get up and walk away before the police arrive.
    I'm a fan of the Sabre 3-in-1 sprays. It contains OC (pepper), CS (tear gas) and the aforementioned UV dye.

The theory behind the combination sprays is that there are certain individuals who will be more resistant to OC, and certain individuals who will be resistant to CS, but the odds of one person being resistant to both are far lower.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I've always heard of pepper spray, seen it used in the movies, always thought it was something for women to use on purse snatchers. I always had the impression that it was a pretty weak self-defense weapon. I figured it would be an experience similar to getting sand thrown in your eyes, etc. I figured it would hurt, and give you a few extra seconds to get away, but otherwise do little besides piss somebody off even more.

However, I just got through watching 4 or 5 youtube videos demonstrating this stuff. These people can't see at all, can't open their eyes. THey are in severe pain, and it seems to get worse with every second that goes by. These people are totally incapacitated and, I dare say, might even be more effective than a shot from a gun at stopping somebody.

I'm definitely going to buy some of this for me and my family.
    OC may not work on some others. So that means you also might need to have a backup plan to follow up on (baton/knife/gun/unarmed combat/etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    OC may not work on some others. So that means you also might need to have a backup plan to follow up on (baton/knife/gun/unarmed combat/etc.).
    Guns and knifes are NOT backups for OC spray. Hard hands and possibly an impact weapon would be considered back ups for OC.

If you are justified in the use of deadly force use it but you don't escalate to deadly force just because less than lethal failed.

Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    Ahh, OC, I have been exposed multiple times, and it is not a pleasant experience by far either. I'm a firm believer in training with what you carry, so you know how YOU will respond/react if you are "hit" with it. I forbid my lady to carry OC until she was exposed, and she is thankful now. I know what it is like to get hit with OC, and I would react accordingly towards a bad guy if they had OC to attack me with in regards to level of force.
    I just purchased some MI-legal OC spray online...I'm a believer in that concept as well, but I'm dreading getting sprayed. I was fine before I watched those YouTube videos, lol...oh well, I'd rather experience it first in a controlled environment then have it spray back into my face if I ever have to use it.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

If you don't want to blast yourself with it, just spray some outside into the surrounding environment on a windy day. You'll at least get a bit of it. I did so, at a 90 degree angle. I honestly didn't think I'd get any on me, but I got just a teeny bit (Fox Labs) and I definitely felt it. At that point I definitely did not want to even imagine what a direct blast of that stuff would be like.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I had a classmate from Cajun country. After we got sprayed, he said he eats hotter stuff. It had almost no effect on him.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I had to be sprayed for training as a DA Security guard. It was on 05 or early 06. If I remember correctly it was 15% capsicum? And oil based. I can say this from my experience, never again will I ever let anyone hit me with that stuff!!! I couldn't open my eyes for something like 20 minutes. Later that evening I took a shower and it lit me up again! My ears were on fire. So if LE carries anything like what we carried with the Army, do not allow yourself to be sprayed! Comply, comply, comply. If that doesn't get you the ASP will.

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I just purchased some MI-legal OC spray online...I'm a believer in that concept as well, but I'm dreading getting sprayed. I was fine before I watched those YouTube videos, lol...oh well, I'd rather experience it first in a controlled environment then have it spray back into my face if I ever have to use it.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links