pepper spray! Wow! - Page 4

pepper spray! Wow!

This is a discussion on pepper spray! Wow! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still calling BS on all these fabricated reports of "some people don't notice CS." Watch this video. YouTube - ‪SHOOTING WHILE PEPPER SPRAYED‬‏ Now, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: pepper spray! Wow!

I'm still calling BS on all these fabricated reports of "some people don't notice CS."

Watch this video. YouTube - ‪SHOOTING WHILE PEPPER SPRAYED‬‏

Now, I'd say that just that amount of dyed liquid alone is going to give somebody vision problems. If you've ever diced habenero peppers and made the mistake of rubbing your eyes afterward, you know how much trouble that is.

These products are not made equal. Some $10 cheapie canister sold at your local convenience store may not have the desired effect on an attacker. Sure, I allow that.

A high quality, 2 million scoville unit spray directly into the mucus membranes of anybody is going to have some effect. Regardless of how effective that is, I'd rather start from there before we get into combatives. Might take some people longer than others to react to that, but I do not believe that there are persons who would experience no effect whatsoever.

Those who wish to promote that meme should be enjoined to show the video. Anecdotal reports along the lines of "I saw it in my class," etc., are not suasive. Post the video and prove it. Otherwise, I think we can safely ignore such reports as fabrication.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

There's some 'bear' pepper spray out there... I think that'd do quite the job on a person.

Except that it would be illegal in all but the most dire of cases.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I got sabre it has a UV dye for identification I only have one good hand available for either spray or gun,lately have had some dogs charging my motorcycle,they keep it up and they ain't gonna like the results
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    A few months ago I had to spray 2 teenagers out of a group of 4 here in Germany with Walther's Pro Secure Pepper Spray, since they were harassing and assaulting an elder lady on the train. They were both instantly put out of service (one was even crying!) and the other cowards quickly ran away. The only downside is that it is so powerful that the power of it caused everyone in the train to be affected and we had to move to the next wagon afterwards. Yes, this thing is powerful if used effectively!

Research well before you buy since there are different kinds of solutions like cloud spray, stream spray, foam, oily solution, spray stream with blue tint, etc. and several different types of canisters. The best brands IMHO are Fox Labs and Sabre.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by topslop1 View Post
    There's some 'bear' pepper spray out there... I think that'd do quite the job on a person.
    As big as they are a fire extinguisher might be more effective...at least you could bludgeon them with it too!

I was looking for a new OC spray for my wife as she mentioned some attention she didnt like leaving the gym. It got me thinking to the same lines as many of you have mentioned. There is a lot of gray area between retreat and pull a firearm to defend ones self. I never considered it a purely female defense, but never considered it for myself. Now? Always have it with me.

at times I feel like i am only repeating what everyone else says but hopefully for those looking for more validation Im here for it! Always nice to not (necessarily) need a lawyer if you pull your OC

I always carry pepper spray as part of my EDC package.....non-lethal mitigation is always a better option to lethal force if possible
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

For what you are doing , ammonia is a lot cheaper, and super effective ; ammonia will put a dog down instantly , burns the hell out of their noses. We used to carry a small spray bottle of ammonia with us when we checked Right of ways for that very purpose.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I've been sprayed several times before and it hurt, but not enough for me not to accomplish what I wanted, so why not anybody else? Use good stuff, not crap. I consider it a deterrent, NOT a fight stopper. Never depend on it and be ready to follow up with lethal force.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Very effective on me, it didn't hit me right away and the instructor didn't want to "cheat" me. So naturally I received a double dose, the biggest problem is it doesn't go away quickly. Later in the day after my training, I was driving and itched my eye, reactivating it....good times.
    Bottom line, I would rather get tasered 10 times than sprayed once, it can be extremely effective.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I was looking for a new OC spray for my wife as she mentioned some attention she didnt like leaving the gym. It got me thinking to the same lines as many of you have mentioned. There is a lot of gray area between retreat and pull a firearm to defend ones self. I never considered it a purely female defense, but never considered it for myself. Now? Always have it with me.

at times I feel like i am only repeating what everyone else says but hopefully for those looking for more validation Im here for it! Always nice to not (necessarily) need a lawyer if you pull your OC
    Take a look at The HotShot™ Portable Protection Device

The county Sheriff's Office has started using this and have found it to be more effective than OC.

VIP Member
    adric....good decision....good that you got the training can, now "train" with the real stuff....give yourself a little shot so you know what its like in case you have to deploy it and get some on ya....spray a little in a rag/paper towel and take a good whiff.....do it when you are outside and make sure you don't fall down and hurt yourself , this will show you what it feels like to your nose/throat without the eyes slamming shut and being completely incapacitated for awhile

I carry Punch III at work and its been successful each time I've had to use it, I carry Fox in the truck and sometimes on me off-duty, also have a Fox 16oz party pack I keep in the front seat of the patrol car....great for the bar parking lots when fights break out
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I am looking to buy christmas presents this year for the whole family of pepper spray.

Last year it was tactical flashlights, this year pepper spray. After some a vicous dog attack and some weird moments I especially want to do this for the women in my family. My mother could have been seriously harmed if I wasnt around.

Bottom line is though, I need to find something with a really good safety. I carry the palm defender from asp and although its fine for me, I think the safety is a little insufficent for those in the family who will likely be not as attentive as I am.

It needs to be easily pocketable for the guys (think slacks) and the ladys will probably purse carry it. I feel overwhelmed with the choices and was hoping people could give me some first hand feedback and maybe some size comparisons.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I am looking to buy christmas presents this year for the whole family of pepper spray.

Last year it was tactical flashlights, this year pepper spray. After some a vicous dog attack and some weird moments I especially want to do this for the women in my family. My mother could have been seriously harmed if I wasnt around.

Bottom line is though, I need to find something with a really good safety. I carry the palm defender from asp and although its fine for me, I think the safety is a little insufficent for those in the family who will likely be not as attentive as I am.

It needs to be easily pocketable for the guys (think slacks) and the ladys will probably purse carry it. I feel overwhelmed with the choices and was hoping people could give me some first hand feedback and maybe some size comparisons.
    I carry the 2oz Fox flip top (have a 4oz too), bout as good of a safety as you can get that easy to use under stress
    I carry the 20z in front pocket of my slacks at church. My wife carries a 2oz in a nylon clip holster in her purse. Got my mom the same thing and she likes it too.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links