pepper spray! Wow!

pepper spray! Wow!

This is a discussion on pepper spray! Wow! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always heard of pepper spray, seen it used in the movies, always thought it was something for women to use on purse snatchers. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: pepper spray! Wow!

pepper spray! Wow!

I've always heard of pepper spray, seen it used in the movies, always thought it was something for women to use on purse snatchers. I always had the impression that it was a pretty weak self-defense weapon. I figured it would be an experience similar to getting sand thrown in your eyes, etc. I figured it would hurt, and give you a few extra seconds to get away, but otherwise do little besides piss somebody off even more.

However, I just got through watching 4 or 5 youtube videos demonstrating this stuff. These people can't see at all, can't open their eyes. THey are in severe pain, and it seems to get worse with every second that goes by. These people are totally incapacitated and, I dare say, might even be more effective than a shot from a gun at stopping somebody.

I'm definitely going to buy some of this for me and my family.
    RugerMak likes this.

Shop smart and see what's available - don't just buy the first stuff you see.

My personal brand is the ASP "Defender" line which comes in different sizes... I have the 'Palm' and the 'Key' sizes. The charges are replaceable and I just get new cartridges every year. I chose this brand for its alleged effectiveness on dogs as well as people (since other dogs are my biggest potential threat when I'm walking mine).

Just be aware that if you're close enough to spray a threat effectively, you're close enough to have some affect you as well. Fire it inside a car and you'll wish you hadn't. Wind speed and direction need to be considered as well if it's used outdoors.
    RugerMak and baren like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I was in the parts department of our local Chevy dealer when one of the mechanics at the far end of the service area discharged some pepper spray. This was over 150 feet from where I was and within minutes it cleared out the whole area, yes pepper spray is very effective.
    RugerMak and Rock and Glock like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Keep in mind, you can easily take yourself out of commission with it as well... Like a firearm, you need to train and realize there are situations you just can't use it effectively.

Another vote here for the ASP line of defensive tools. If you get the ASP Street Defender, the canister is also a striking tool. If you are in close-quarters combat, you can use the cartridge as a weapon and discharge the spray if necessary. Sure, some blowback is a concern, but it's not that big of an issue. If you can get a good blast into the eyes and nose of an attacker, it should take the wind out their sails.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The stuff is made of micron sized drops. I have been sprayed with it on several occasions for quals for depts I have worked for. It is "hell in a can" Do you research. I can recommend a few companies. But be aware when you deploy it or your family deploys it the user gets some too. Just have to be very aware of when and how to use it. You can buy inert trainers as well. The three below are ones I have personaly used with good effect and I recommend the top two first.

Amazon.com: Fox Labs Defense Spray- Flip Top Stream (2 Oz): Sports & Outdoors

First Defense MK3 Police Size 10 Percent Pepper Spray - SD085 - Galls.com

Amazon.com: Sabre Red Self Defense Pepper Spray Police Magnum 110 Grams: Sports & Outdoors
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Keep several things in mind...

Some dirtbags may not be heavily effected by pepper spray, especially some druggies...I'm just sayin'...

If you do your research and settle on a particular brand, buy an extra to experiment with...spray some into the wind (you'll get some back spray), can you handle that?
    By spraying an 'extra', you will know just how far it sprays, how many sprays you can get, and what a fog/stream/spray foam really does.
    bigdog44, JoJoGunn, OPFOR and 5 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been sprayed (for training) It is nasty stuff. As much as it sucks to get sprayed I recommend it for anyone who wants to carry it. Odds are if you use your spray you will end up with back spray in your eyes, you need to know what you will experience, and know that you can overpower it. OC is not always effective on all people so be aware.

Also... I recommend getting the foam vs the fog as it has less back spray. Be advised however that your target can wipe the foam from their eyes and toss it back at you.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Check your state laws for restrictions, many states limit the volume you can carry, some limit it to less than 2 oz. Also, you need to be sure that everyone knows NOT to hang around to see what happens after deploying pepper spray. Use every second to get away.

For non trained individuals, go with the cone or fog spray, NOT the stream, trying to get a straight stream into the right places on an attacker when you are trying to deal with the adrenaline rush is not an easy task. The cone or fog makes it more likely to get in the right places.

Stick with the major brands, Fox, Sabre, Etc. Look at the flip top cans for non trained individuals since it's far more forgiving in pockets and purses and is very easy to deploy when needed.
    jwhite75, RugerMak and Stubborn like this.

It must have come a long way since twenty years ago I was sprayed by a shoplifter. After a struggle we held his head down and emptied the whole thing into his eyes an inch away maybe closer and he still put up a heck of a fight. I might pick some up now after checking into local regulations.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

We have some SABRE RED here at home, and one day i had to use it on a dog that lives down the road, and after i sprayed him he was done. Its good stuff and it works.

I, like others, have been sprayed for training. With both spray and foam. Both whipped me. In our training we were told that the more people were exposed to it the less effective it becomes when being used on the BG. There are also some with marking dye in the spray that really make it easy for the BG to be found if he was able to get up and walk away before the police arrive.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I, like others, have been sprayed for training. With both spray and foam. Both whipped me. In our training we were told that the more people were exposed to it the less effective it becomes when being used on the BG. There are also some with marking dye in the spray that really make it easy for the BG to be found if he was able to get up and walk away before the police arrive.
    Actually saw this used to solve a local armed robbery.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Stick with the major brands, Fox, Sabre, Etc. Look at the flip top cans for non trained individuals since it's far more forgiving in pockets and purses and is very easy to deploy when needed.

Good advice.

I got both flip and regular top 2oz Fox.

I carry in off side front pocket with nothing else.

I find the regular top much quicker to grip correctly by feel in my pocket.

My thumb finds the "U" cutout of the regular top much easier.

Avoid pushing the trigger and the unit fails to discharge.

Practice.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links