Oso sweet vs Leek

This is a discussion on Oso sweet vs Leek within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a new SD EDC blade. With me I always have a Benchmade 585 half serrated for cutting anything and everything. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oso sweet vs Leek

Oso sweet vs Leek

I'm in the market for a new SD EDC blade. With me I always have a Benchmade 585 half serrated for cutting anything and everything. I also keep a Buck alpha hunter and leatherman wave in my backpack which is also always with me. I would like a small SD pocket blade to go along with my benchmade. I'm trying to decide between the Kershaw leek and the oso sweet. They both seem to be nice blades, what do you guys think, what's your opinion?

If you own both or have handled both how would you compare them? I'm thinking about getting both and giving one to dad for fathers day.

I'm also considering the SOG twitch II. Need two knives one for dad and one for myself.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have any experience with the Oso Sweet, but I don't consider the Leek to be a SD blade. If you buy one with a metal handle, you're find that it's VERY slippery in your hand. It's also very thin, which makes it harder to hold on to. If I had to choose a small SD pocket blade, it would be the Emerson Mini-CQC7.

Love my SOGs I carry either the FlashII or Aegis daily. The flashII I beat the crap and they just keep going I own 2. The Aegis is a big slicer so it is left to more "delicate" jobs. I also have a Leek That I carry on my pack scary sharp and another good slicer for those "delicate" jobs.

LOVE my Oso Sweet, bought 2 of 'em on sale at Cabela's for $19.99

Distinguished Member
    I thought for sure this was a cooking thread. Braised osso bucco with a sweet leek reduction or something yummy.

Guns and food on the same site, that was too much to dream for.
    Last edited by cammo; June 8th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    gasmitty likes this.

Smile Leek

I have had both. I sold my Oso pretty quickly.
    The Oso has the Chinese mid-range metal while the Leek has the premium 14 Sandvik.
    The Oso has a longer, wider blade for self defense purposes. The leak blade is smaller, but sharp as hell and has a WICKED needle point.
    The Oso handle is kind of cheap looking, grip is ok. The leek has a sturdy aluminum handle that is pretty slick.
    Both blades FLY out of the handle when deployed.
    The Leek is much sturdier built than the Oso. It has better fit and finish. The Leek also costs about twice as much.
    You can get Leeks in different colors and also with laser etchings on the handle. I have a smoke blue with honeycomb etching. I don't carry it because I don't want scratch it up.
    If you have the time and patience you can get great deals on the Leek by BIDDING on ebay. I got mine for 30.00! They are typically 44.00 at Wally World. Check out sellers: "Knifecorner" and "Knifegirl1". They are both very trustworthy. Good luck.
    PS: My first self-defense choice would be Spyderco Endura or Flash II. They are both light and have decent sized blades.

I have a Leek, and it is a fine knife, and deploys fast, but I would never use it as an SD knife. The metal handles do make for a slippery grip when dry. For a general use knife, it is fine, but for SD, I want something with better handles.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks, that was one of my concerns when looking at reviews was the all metal handle of the leek, it looked slippery. I have a nice benchmade I use as my utility knife but I will have to keep searching for a new SD blade. I want it to be a regular blade no serrations.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have a Oh so sweet, leek and Benchmade model 556 non-serrated. The leek is for looks, although a wicked sharp blade. I do like the Oh so sweet for the blade. It's rather large, and holds an edge well. The assisted flipper is nice too. The handle is a bit cheap as it's from injected zytel I think, but for the price point it's decent. My benchmade is my go to EDC. The most costly though, but I like the axis lock.
    If on a budget, I would pick the Oh so sweet. I like my version, as it's the older model without all the added metal liners. Good all around knife, and if you loose it, or break it, no real loss.

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

YouTube - ‪Kershaw Oso Sweet 2010: Updated. Still So Sweet?‬‏

The metal liner addition I was referencing, and the views/opinions of this person..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Thanks for the info and pictures REX. I think I have decided against the leek and the oso. While they both are good looking knives, not sure they are going to serve my purpose.

Those were just two on my long list of research. I've also been looking at the SOG Aegis, just watched a nutnfancy review and it's a pretty nice looking folder, anyone have one?

I have a leek and it is a great EDC blade; however, I would not carry it specifically for defense because of the lack of traction as others have mentioned. Between the oso-sweet and leek I would opt for the oso-sweet. Though I do believe there are better options out there. If you really want to go with kershaw look into a Blur or Tremor as they can both be had for less than $50.

VIP Member
    I have several knives including the leek. I find that I carry my SOG Twitch XL almost exclusively. It is a bit larger, but I have hands that a G21 seems made for. If you have larger hands, you may like the Twitch XL.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

My Sog Flash II has a little up and down blade play out of the box. I have heard that this is not unusual for Sog folders. My Voyager,Resiliance, Tenacious and Blur have rock solid lock-ups. The Tenacious really is hard to beat for the price.
    I have seen the Nutn review too. There are a lot of users who do not like the Aegis, be careful.

i really like the Beretta Airlight II 's - i have skinned deer with mine - razor sharp.
    KnifeSupply.com
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links