Self defense with a knife training question - Page 2

Self defense with a knife training question

This is a discussion on Self defense with a knife training question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mattmann, I found TDI through a strong recommendation of Sixto on this forum. I had said I wanted to go to a defensive knife class ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Self defense with a knife training question

Senior Moderator
    Mattmann, I found TDI through a strong recommendation of Sixto on this forum. I had said I wanted to go to a defensive knife class and that I had purchased a TDI knife (not knowing it was designed by the founder of TDI) for a defensive knife and got some good advice that I should go to the class and learn from the best!

I'm glad I listened. It was well worth it. Especially when we got to practice everything we learned on a deer carcass. The live cutting portion was awesome (from a training standpoint)..lol.

Here is a link to the website: Tactical Defense Institute - CQPC, Knife & Cane -- Close Quarters Personal Control Class

It looks like the next class is Dec 3-4 of this year.

One thing I did (and do) because I understand time restraints and money. I look for classes that I really want to take from reputable trainers. I look at times I might reasonably be able to attend those classes and I start to budget and save for them.

So, for instance, if I wanted to go back to TDI for their Defensive Knife class I would take the cost of the class, hotel, travel and food and then make a budget for how much I would have to save between now and then, see if I could get time off work and baby-sitters, all that and then, if it was reasonable I'd go ahead and call and reserve my spot and start saving!

It took me two years to be in a place I could take that class but it was worth it!

TDI is in Ohio.

There is Hoffners in Texas: Courses
    Now, I've never been to Hoffners so I can't speak for the training but it's there.

Suarez International also does knife classes. Some of these places travel as well so you might want to look on their websites and see if they have anything coming to your area. That's all I can think of right now.. maybe someone else has more info for you.

Hope that helps.

Senior Moderator
    PS... here is also a traveling schedule for ShivWorks. You might want to look into that: ShivWorks

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ...and baby-sitters
    That's no joke - and it's further complicated by the potential of class cancellation: that just happened to me this weekend. Not a fault of the instructor's, there was just too many last-minute cancellations. But still, frustrated....

It did give me and the wifey some quality time together, though.

TVJ
    AMOK!

Force on Force.

Start sessions with heavy, compromised FoF scenarios.

You figure out what to do.

Then back out for rest of session to teach tactics/technique.

End with Spar.

Great.

Get a NOK trainer "blade" (google)

(Suarez uses AMOK!)

Whatever training you do, make sure you train to emotionally commit to stabbing, slashing, shanking someone if you get a legal green light to use lethal force under your States civilian rules of force/lethal force engagement.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Thumbs up Martial Blade Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Ok so I purchased an awesome knife today. It's a spyderco endura wave. This is my first real self defense knife. I have probably 100 knives but not a true self defense knife like this one. I am looking for a good training DVD or set of them. I have found by google searching them that there are thousands of them. So what say ye community? Whats the best self defense knife instructional video? I am leaning to janich a little bit but I want to hear other recommendations. Thanks in advance!!
    Congratulations, the endura is a great EDC knife. Light, concealable, solid and effective. I know several people -myself included- who carry it on a daily basis.

Mike Janich's MBC system is great and his DVDs are a good start. I began working with his material almost two years ago when Suarez International adopted it for the Knife training. Up to that point I had never had knife instruction of any kind and during the two days that we worked with Mike Janich, I learned an incredible amount. His anatomic targeting and movement patterns are easy, comprehensive and effective.
    That said, a DVD is a great start, but to really learn it, I would highly recommend a seminar that is taught by him or any of the trainers or instructors that he has certified.
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Thank y'all so much. This has helped tremendously. It's nice to get answers that I asked for instead of all the other bs. I am willing to save and do whatever is necessary to go to a seminar

Anything else you can give me to the tdi? That looks real fun. It's like a 8 hour drive though but I can cope. Lol. Mabey make it a mini vacation for me and the wife. If anyone else has any ideas please share them. Also does the McCann guy do any classes? He looks pretty hard core also.

Senior Moderator
    Here's the review I wrote of the class: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=474216034627

Also, you can see snippets of the class I was able to take video of and got permission to post online:

YouTube - ‪Knives vs Clothing‬‏

YouTube - ‪Knife Defense Against Multiple Attackers‬‏

If you'd rather watch the video review:
    YouTube - ‪TDI Defensive Knife Class Review‬‏

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Anything else you can give me to the tdi? That looks real fun. It's like a 8 hour drive though but I can cope. Lol. Mabey make it a mini vacation for me and the wife. If anyone else has any ideas please share them. Also does the McCann guy do any classes? He looks pretty hard core also.
    Here's Lima's review of the knife course, Tactical Defense Institute Defensive Knife After Action Review. I just took some of their gun training. To sum it all up regarding knife or gun....GO!

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    The secret to learning the use of a knife if having and partner to train with, but you most likely know that from your martial arts training.

I give another vote to Mike Janich's MBC system.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Anyone know any classes with the mbc system? I'm leaning towards the tdi class as of now but I am open to other options here. It would help to have it closer to the Memphis metro area but hey, like I said I can make this like a mini vacation.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    QUOTE=Mattmann;1965462]Anyone know any classes with the mbc system? I'm leaning towards the tdi class as of now but I am open to other options here. It would help to have it closer to the Memphis metro area but hey, like I said I can make this like a mini vacation.[/QUOTE]

Here is the link to MBC schedule from their website Martial Blade Concepts | Schedule

Also Suarez International teach his Defensive Knife Concepts also. Here is their link Suarez International Defensive Knife

Looks like SI only has one class scheduled, but keep checking in as that can and will change.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links