Defensive Carry banner

Self defense with a knife training question

6K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Bill MO 
#1 ·
Ok so I purchased an awesome knife today. It's a spyderco endura wave. This is my first real self defense knife. I have probably 100 knives but not a true self defense knife like this one. I am looking for a good training DVD or set of them. I have found by google searching them that there are thousands of them. So what say ye community? Whats the best self defense knife instructional video? I am leaning to janich a little bit but I want to hear other recommendations. Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
can you learn to drive a race car from a book?

take a course in force-on-force. and a martial arts course also. hands on for some things is the only way to get started. than a book on techniques can be read with understanding. good luck

#3 ·
+1,000 on this. Take some lessons, then use DVDs to reinforce what you've learned. Trying to win a knife fight by DVD instruction only may get you cut with your own blade. I highly recommend some Krav Maga training, it will teach you to defend yourself against a knife when you get to level 2. Once you can defend against a knife attack, you can better defend with a knife.

#4 ·
Until you've seen up close and "in the flesh" the aftermath of a "amateur" knife fight you may wish to consider not relying on one to fight with. You can not learn force on force from DVDs. Take a REAL force on force class in hand to hand and edged weapons.

#5 ·
Stabbing someone is not really that complicated in my opinion. The trick is defending against another person with a knife.

Training your mind is the most important aspect, however. You have to be able to react quickly and violently, and I think most people would struggle with stabbing somebody repeatedly - even in a self defense scenario.

#6 ·
Ok. Thanks for all the info but if this is the case then mabey some of you can help me find a class. I'm a second degree black belt in taekwando but that didn't help much with this. All I have found around here is a bunch of "tap out" wearing kids that have a "underground mma" style class. Not my cup of tea. I would like the krav magraw though. Anyone know of any of these "force on force" classes around Memphis, Tn? Please let me know...

#9 ·
I wonder if people really 'realize' what it is to use a knife on someone, and that it's a very personal close up encounter.

One thing I learned is keeping a well calculated distance from my opponent.

When a kid took a knife out and tried to stab me, I picked up a 2X4 and smacked him up the side of the head like it was a baseball bat, when he woke up.... I was standing there with his knife. I've since learned many things in my training, on how to take someone out very quickly if they are wielding a knife.... and not talking about a gun.

I know you didn't ask for it, but.... while it may seem "cool", give it a lot of realistic thought.

#10 ·
I have given it a lot of thought. Here is what I think. I work in a lot of places where sometimes I can't take a gun. I am trained more than the average person on how to defend myself with my hands. While I agree that using a knife is a messy close up encounter, it is something that in my opinion is a great self defense tool if your gun is taken, or you can't carry one at the time for any reason. To me any tool used for self defense is one more in the favor of yourself. I do know that there are times that some improvised weapons such as a 2x4 would be a better choice but for me, I wouldn't mind having that edged weapon for back up or even primary defense.

#11 ·
Some of My Knife Training Video Collection I Have Acquired Over the Years:
"The Defensive Folder" by Michael Janich
"Reverse Grip Knife Fighting" by James Keating
"Knife Kembatives" by Kelly McCann
"Death From the Shadows:Techniques of Sentry Stalking and Elimination" by Greg Walker
"Close Quarter Combatives:Hand, Stick, Knife, and Gun Level I" (knife portion) by W. Hock Hocheim

My previous hands on knife training was from the Filipino Martial Arts (FDC Academy) and Hock's Level I CQC 2-day seminar as well as some training tips from my friends with FMA training and, in the past, with some who have done time in prison.

#14 ·
I took the two-day defensive knife class at the Tactical Defense Institute.

FANTASTIC Class! I really could not say enough about it. No, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out how to cut someone with a blade and, yes, defending is a different monster but there are techniques you can use to better your outcome in using a defensive knife.

A knife IS a great backup to a gun. Yes, it's messy. Yes, it will probably take a lot more to get your attacker to stop the attack and you are probably going to be a bloody mess when the dust settles but if you are willing to accept those things then a knife is not a bad choice.. in fact, I'm willing to say that a knife is one of those things that should be as readily carried as a spare magazine. Knives are not that easy to take away (vs guns, batons, etc), they are easily concealed and they are often legal in places where a gun is not.

Learning where to cut to maximize damage, the difference between slashes and stabs (their effects and when to utilize one over the other (especially where clothes is concerned)), different cutting techniques (pressure cuts, running, coring, etc) for "wound enhancement," disabling cuts vs blood cuts and when/how to use one over the other or together, deployment methods, etc.. all of these things are taught (or should be taught) in a good KNIFE SPECIFIC defense class and is what I learned in my knife class at TDI.

The FOF portion of the class was also awesome having to go full-contact with the instructor. I'd post the video but it breaks our family friendly language rules (turns out I have quite the potty mouth..lol.. who knew).

It was two days filled with sparring and doing the work and FOF. I'm sure you'll read a lot of that stuff from books but actually getting up with a sparring partner and working the moves on a living, moving human is where you really start to see what works FOR YOU and what doesn't.

#15 ·
Thanks a lot guys. Those last three post were a great help. Question to limatunes, and I guess anyone else who has taken a class, how and where do y'all find these seminars? I would love to go to things like this. I looked into krav maga and would love to do this also but with a one year old and mom already being at home with him all day as it is, it's hard for me to find time to do that also. I would seriously be gone dusk to dawn and I can't do that right now. I feel like I asked a question and got attacked with a bunch of smart a$$ answers and sayings. I just need the info. I know it's better to do it in real life but some of us have more time than others. Everyone's situation is different. So thanks to the ones who actualy responded to the question rather than preaching. Btw, any links would be greatly appreciated.

#16 ·
Mattmann, I found TDI through a strong recommendation of Sixto on this forum. I had said I wanted to go to a defensive knife class and that I had purchased a TDI knife (not knowing it was designed by the founder of TDI) for a defensive knife and got some good advice that I should go to the class and learn from the best!

I'm glad I listened. It was well worth it. Especially when we got to practice everything we learned on a deer carcass. The live cutting portion was awesome (from a training standpoint)..lol.

Here is a link to the website: Tactical Defense Institute - CQPC, Knife & Cane -- Close Quarters Personal Control Class

It looks like the next class is Dec 3-4 of this year.

One thing I did (and do) because I understand time restraints and money. I look for classes that I really want to take from reputable trainers. I look at times I might reasonably be able to attend those classes and I start to budget and save for them.

So, for instance, if I wanted to go back to TDI for their Defensive Knife class I would take the cost of the class, hotel, travel and food and then make a budget for how much I would have to save between now and then, see if I could get time off work and baby-sitters, all that and then, if it was reasonable I'd go ahead and call and reserve my spot and start saving!

It took me two years to be in a place I could take that class but it was worth it!

TDI is in Ohio.

There is Hoffners in Texas: Courses
Now, I've never been to Hoffners so I can't speak for the training but it's there.

Suarez International also does knife classes. Some of these places travel as well so you might want to look on their websites and see if they have anything coming to your area. That's all I can think of right now.. maybe someone else has more info for you.

Hope that helps.

#19 ·
AMOK!

Force on Force.

Start sessions with heavy, compromised FoF scenarios.

You figure out what to do.

Then back out for rest of session to teach tactics/technique.

End with Spar.

Great.

Get a NOK trainer "blade" (google)

(Suarez uses AMOK!)

Whatever training you do, make sure you train to emotionally commit to stabbing, slashing, shanking someone if you get a legal green light to use lethal force under your States civilian rules of force/lethal force engagement.

#20 ·
Martial Blade Concepts

Congratulations, the endura is a great EDC knife. Light, concealable, solid and effective. I know several people -myself included- who carry it on a daily basis.

Mike Janich's MBC system is great and his DVDs are a good start. I began working with his material almost two years ago when Suarez International adopted it for the Knife training. Up to that point I had never had knife instruction of any kind and during the two days that we worked with Mike Janich, I learned an incredible amount. His anatomic targeting and movement patterns are easy, comprehensive and effective.
That said, a DVD is a great start, but to really learn it, I would highly recommend a seminar that is taught by him or any of the trainers or instructors that he has certified.

#22 ·
Anything else you can give me to the tdi? That looks real fun. It's like a 8 hour drive though but I can cope. Lol. Mabey make it a mini vacation for me and the wife. If anyone else has any ideas please share them. Also does the McCann guy do any classes? He looks pretty hard core also.

#23 ·
#25 ·
The secret to learning the use of a knife if having and partner to train with, but you most likely know that from your martial arts training.

I give another vote to Mike Janich's MBC system.

#26 ·
Anyone know any classes with the mbc system? I'm leaning towards the tdi class as of now but I am open to other options here. It would help to have it closer to the Memphis metro area but hey, like I said I can make this like a mini vacation.

#27 ·
QUOTE=Mattmann;1965462]Anyone know any classes with the mbc system? I'm leaning towards the tdi class as of now but I am open to other options here. It would help to have it closer to the Memphis metro area but hey, like I said I can make this like a mini vacation.[/QUOTE]

Here is the link to MBC schedule from their website Martial Blade Concepts | Schedule

Also Suarez International teach his Defensive Knife Concepts also. Here is their link Suarez International Defensive Knife

Looks like SI only has one class scheduled, but keep checking in as that can and will change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.