Pepper spray and asthma.

Pepper spray and asthma.

This is a discussion on Pepper spray and asthma. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I am planning to buy pepper spray and really know very little about it. 1. I have asthma which makes me leery anywise ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 2 Post By ArkhmAsylm

Thread: Pepper spray and asthma.

Pepper spray and asthma.

Ok so I am planning to buy pepper spray and really know very little about it.
    1. I have asthma which makes me leery anywise about it. is this factor going to be major if I have to use it. ie is it going to disable me along with ( hopefully an attacker). Should this be enough of a concern to just stick with a tactical flashlight and not get pepper spray?
    2. how would you suggest carrying it? I would assume you want to hold it in your off hand, so you can block and attack with your primary hand/ arm. Me being right hand dominate left eye dominate makes me assume I would want it available for my left hand. Just thinking about it I would think somehow carrying it upside down on my left is best but I really know nothing about it.
    3 what brands would the folks hear suggest? I am sort of restricted to what I can find at stores in NYC because I cannot order online legally. Yes its stupid that you have to physically buy it and sign you are not a felon and only intend to use for self defense but it is the law hear.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Using my wife who has asthma as a qualifier, DON'T!!!

I suffer from mild asthma myself. I use an inhaler about once every 2 weeks or so. And even then I could probably go without it. So my asthma is nowhere nearly as bad as other people's I've met. Still, I have wondered the same thing about pepper spray. I bought some recently. I've thought about trying it out, not on myself, but maybe going outside and spraying it against my fence (we are about to replace the fence anyway) at about eye-level and see if the "fallout" from it affects me. obviously I'll have my inhaler in hand in case I get an asthma attack. If that has no effect, i may try it indoors, say in the shower for example. Just spray it against the wall at eye-level in a more contained area and see what the effects are. From what I've read, it is almost guaranteed to affect me in the confined space of the shower in some form or another. From what I've seen on youtube, I certainly don't want the stuff shot directly into my face, but I have a suspicion that I may get a mild taste of the effects by doing that.

Asthma and pepper spray...pretty bad, but being dead is much worse.
    Better to have it and not need it...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    I do not think that I should carry a pepper spray if I had asthma. There is a big chance that you probably will get a little of it on yourself if you use it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Have you addressed this with your pulmonary doc? That would be far more reliable than getting a consensus via the internet. Look at Fox Labs and Sabre Red. You can get the MSD sheets from the manufacturers and take those to your doc. He knows your limitations and what your likely response would be. Don't risk your last breath on an internet forum consensus.
    atctimmy, Tzadik and Vuva3rae like this.

All I can say is that I have asthma and take two Rx meds for it. I have been through the OC counter assault course taught by Nat. Law Enforcement Training Center, four or five times and became an instructor. That encompasses taking a direct shot in the face, and fighting through the effects and effectively gain control over your attacker.

To say it's not pleasant is an understatement. But certainly did not kill me or aggravate my asthma in a dangerous way.

I have no idea how severe your asthma is. Or how committed your level of determination is if you were to suffer any blow-back from spraying someone.

I carry FOX OC spray routinely.
    Vuva3rae likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

To chime in, my experience resembles that of Bark'n.

I'm a sergeant at a max security state prison. As such I've been exposed to OC (as well as the lovely cocktail of OC and CS) more times than I could easily count. Backblast, overspray from other officers, entering a Seg cell after the idiot has been marinating in it for a spell...you name it and if TDCJ uses it, I've breathed it. Never once has any of it exasperated my asthma. Set my eyes to burning? Yes. Turned me into a bubble-blowing snot monster? Again, sadly yes. Left me with mild chemical burns from wrestling with a cheeto-colored idiot? Yes. But it's never made me wheezy or tight chested.
    Plus it really clears out the sinuses.

As mentioned above, if you have ANY qualms, I'd consult with your doctor.

Cheers,
    B.

VIP Member
    Turned me into a bubble-blowing snot monster? Again, sadly yes.
    Nice. I know how that goes. BTDT.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Some of the Sabre Red containers utilize what's called a ballistic stream - it squirts out in a stream & does not atomize. They also have a foam stream which is just as it sounds - this does not atomize either. They are intended for close contact use, with the ballistic stream holding more promise of not being misdirected in the wind. I tested both units in my garage with a moderate wind swirling around the open doors & I did not detect any irritation during or after the tests. I actually had to get right down to the liquid that hit the ground before I detected minor throat irritation. These products are meant for eye/nose/throat contact to be effective.

I have the Sabre Red Max Strength Home & Away Pepper Spray combo, which has a small .54 oz keychain container (ballistic stream) & a 2.5 oz (70 gram) 'home' container (foam stream) - Sabre part no. SRU-HAPK. The kit is reasonably priced at Amazon and other online retailers.

I would think that either of these would be appropriate to use with your health condition.
    QKShooter and Bark'n like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    Absolutely don't buy anything but the STREAM or foam.
    You (for sure) don't want any product that is going to blow back on you.

VIP Member
    others have already covered it....each person with asthma has to gauge their risks and make that decision, a small blunt defensive object aka...flashlight and maybe C2 Taser might be more appropriate for those with severe asthma or any hesitancy
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Lead does not tend to set off Asthma Attacks...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Lead does not tend to set off Asthma Attacks...
    Really? Lead for a non-lethal assault? Okay.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Really? Lead for a non-lethal assault? Okay.
    I did not say that. All I said was that it does not tend to set off asthma attacks...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Links