Neck knives question, "550" cord or necklace?

This is a discussion on Neck knives question, "550" cord or necklace? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a good neck knife. I know of the becker and Ka-Bar last ditch, but what some other good ones and do ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By redstgunnut
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician

Thread: Neck knives question, "550" cord or necklace?

I am looking for a good neck knife. I know of the becker and Ka-Bar last ditch, but what some other good ones and do any come with a necklace? or cord? What combos are you guys/gals wearing? thanks!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Administrator
    TOPS Silver Bullet Tactical

TOPS Nit Picker

Ontario Ranger 9462

ESEE Knives Izula Neck Knife
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Probably best on a breakaway chain.

I don't put things around my neck that could be used to choke me.
    Drgnfly likes this.

550 cord is a no no. Its a very efficient at choking the guy who's wearing it as a necklace. A break-away chain is ok, if you MUST use a neck knife. Break away wont choke you out, but it's a good way to give your neck knife to the bad guy if he gets it before you do. I just dont like the idea of a neck knife.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 to what kb2wji is saying. It's not a good location to access either. If you want to wear it that way then break away chain is the only option. I know it's crazy but just the idea of a loop of 550 around the neck sounds like a serious safety issue.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    +1 to what kb2wji is saying. It's not a good location to access either. If you want to wear it that way then break away chain is the only option. I know it's crazy but just the idea of a loop of 550 around the neck sounds like a serious safety issue.

Gideon
    That's why I was wondering why some people post pics with a 550 lanyard. Breakaway it is.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Quote Originally Posted by Augrunt View Post
    That's why I was wondering why some people post pics with a 550 lanyard. Breakaway it is.
    Cuz 550 cord is tacticool. Not so much though when the coroner is unraveling it from your neck

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Neck carry is, I think, a poor way to carry a knife. The knife is hard to access and tends to shift around a lot with movement, particularly if you end up rolling around on the ground. The chain or cord can be used to choke you.

The best knife hands-down, as far as small knives for defensive use go, would be the Emerson La Griffe. They're real hard to find lately, though, as Emerson has a production line that focuses on one model for X period of time, then switches.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Administrator
    MIL SPEC 7 Strand Core Paracord is tested to tensile strength 550 LBS.

I make my custom fire-starters and put them on Paracord but they are to be put/carried/stowed any location but, around the neck.
    If it is ever a contest between a human neck & Paracord 550 the neck will always lose.

SWMBO and I carry Mantis Cyclops neck knives (review coming as soon as I take pics). She uses the bead chain it came with, I use 550, but with a breakaway in it, not a solid piece of cord.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Neck carry is, I think, a poor way to carry a knife. The knife is hard to access and tends to shift around a lot with movement, particularly if you end up rolling around on the ground. The chain or cord can be used to choke you.
    I agree with this. Now, I do have a neck knife...a Ka-Bar BK11 Becker Necker...it's a nice little knife, good to throw in a survival kit, or use around a campsite (instead of my Gerber LMF or RAT-6). I might wear it on a belt, or possibly a boot, but never around the neck.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just purchased,was going to use 2 pieces of 550 with break away clasp.I know CHINA but Live on a very tight budget.Please rate knife,good or bad all welcome.Paid $14.99 Colt Black G-10 4 5'8", 2" bladeCT450.jpgCT4501.jpg
    Last edited by BadFinger63; November 19th, 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Length

AFA 550 cord goes, this is where knot knowledge comes in. Tye half a fisherman's knot in end 1 around the other end and the melted blob of end 2 creates a breakaway situation (as long as it's not too big). Do it twice and anyone who tries to grab you by paracord will be left with nothing but a hank of cord.

I gut the strands out of my paracord & run the chain through it. Then I meld the ends just short of either side of the barrel clasp. IMHO, it's smoother, quieter & still give the break-away advantage of the chain. Plus you can use the more readily available "silver" chain & have any color cord sleeve you want.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links