SOG Seal Pup sheath

This is a discussion on SOG Seal Pup sheath within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anyone tried the new nylon sheath for the SOG Seal/Seal Pup knife? Nylon Sheath - SEAL Pup, SEAL Pup Elite & Pentagon I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOG Seal Pup sheath

VIP Member

SOG Seal Pup sheath

has anyone tried the new nylon sheath for the SOG Seal/Seal Pup knife?
    Nylon Sheath - SEAL Pup, SEAL Pup Elite & Pentagon

I have the knife and the kydex sheath that came with it at the time, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this one yet.
    I'm looking at getting one and attaching to my thigh rig I have for spare AR mags on the left leg.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have the SOG Seal Pup with the new sheath and it is top-notch. I have it attached handle down on the left chest area of my LBE chest rig by 5.11 Tactical. I also have the Spec-Ops Brand Combat Master Sheath (up to 6" blades) which is even better, but double the price. I would go for it!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    thanks man, just what I was looking for (the sheath and someone using one)

mine will be handle up next to my 2 spare AR mags, may have to get me another pup now that they come with the sheath to add to my chest rig....and another to my vest at home.....
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty

Looks like a very decent sheath for the price.

I keep my SEAL Pup inside my BOB. I kind of like the Kydex sheath because I've used the cord cutter several times for cutting 550 cord a few times. But that's because I haven't really worn the knife on my belt. The cord cutter is pretty much useless if you're wearing the knife on a belt.

I tried mounting it on the shoulder strap of my pack with ranger bands but didn't really like how it mounted. Too bulky and it made the knife handle stick out a lot.

I have some MOLLE on the side of my pack which this new nylon would mount perfectly!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

saw it a a local walmart... i like the kydex better

VIP Member
    yeah Bark'n...I keep mine in the kydex sheath in my front seat bag of the patrol car, I just checked and my local knife shop has it for $3 cheaper than SOG's website not including the shipping

Ring...you saw it at walmart??? I'll have to go look at my closest one. I like the kydex that came with it but I need the MOLLE.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

my local walmart had the bear gryls line , gerbers, buck, and in the last few weeks have the seal pup with nylon, and some SOG folder

I have it. I like it quite a bit better personally. The kydex one always feels really floppy to me when on a belt plus I like being able to keep a multitool on it while out in the sticks. I suppose you could put a mag in there if you wanted but it may be a little akward access. If you have MOLLE gear it is nice being able to attach it as well.

I feel its a definite step up from the kydex one, especially for the price.

VIP Member
    ok, walmart here has the Pup with the nylon sheath $49, but I'm looking for the sheath by itself.....guess I'll just have to buy another pup for my rig and tie the other one onto my vest at home
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

I also just bought a Benchmade Nimravus and it is AMAZING! If you want a higher end knife, this is the one. The knife is razor sharp, highly ergonomic, solidly built and well balanced. The best part of all is the sheath...simply amazing!!!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    my local walmart had the bear gryls line , gerbers, buck, and in the last few weeks have the seal pup with nylon, and some SOG folder
    AVOID the Bear Grylis line by Gerber. It was a great idea, but poorly and cheaply constructed. There are terrible reviews about the BG equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    thanks man, just what I was looking for (the sheath and someone using one)

mine will be handle up next to my 2 spare AR mags, may have to get me another pup now that they come with the sheath to add to my chest rig....and another to my vest at home.....
    You are welcome! I am a huge gear junkie and knife lover, so I'm glad I could help you out. I think the SOG Pup with the new sheath will work perfectly on your leg rig.

VIP Member

purchase made...and another knife followed me home too

I went ahead and bought the Pup/sheath combo at Walmart for $49. The sheath by itself was going to be $33 so thats a no-brainer.

Pictured is the Seal Pup in the nylon sheath attached via MOLLE to my thigh rig. It rides in my front seat behind my bag, ready to clip onto the female connector I wear all the time on my inner belt behind my radio/taser when the situation arises. The sheath is all nylon except for the kydex portion the blade slips into and is a nice rigid design. I am pleased. The sheath overhangs at the bottom a bit, but it will be ok, and I needed it one row lower so as to not interfere with my duty belt/gear and get a clear grasp on the knife. I'm going to put one of my multi-tools in the pouch thats on the new sheath.

I also had a SOG Trident follow me home. Pictured here closed on the side with the lock (like a safety to keep the blade from opening) and another one opened showing the blade and pocket clip. Its super lightweight and blade seems to be as robust as the Pup. (some pics fuzzy....sorry, its the phone). With the blade closed it has a seat belt cutter. Its spring assisted opening, no activation button on the frame so its not a switchblade.
    Last edited by 64zebra; July 26th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

That SOG Trident is a very nice folder. I have two friends who own them and I considered it very closely before finally going with the Benchmade Rift. It was a close decision for sure.

I'd still like to get one someday.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

For truly made custom kydex sheaths

Invictus Kydex

I did a consultation with them and they literally will make anything you need how you want it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links