Carrying in a bar in Florida?

This is a discussion on Carrying in a bar in Florida? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I can't carry my firearm into a bar in FL and I don't as I always obey the law. That being said is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a bar in Florida?

I know I can't carry my firearm into a bar in FL and I don't as I always obey the law. That being said is the no carrying into a bar in FL only applicable to guns? What about my kimber guardian angel pepper spray and blackjack are these also no go's under the law?

Just for the record I don't drink at all when I need to drive or am carrying not even one beer. Im just wondering what's allowed under the law as I want to be able to defend myself if the need comes up to and from my car,thanks for any help on this one.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Senior Moderator
    The guardian angel would be prohibited as well:

Quote Originally Posted by F.S. 790.001 (3)
    (a) "Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.
    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Basically, in a FL bar, you will be a completely unarmed victim subject to the whims of dirtbags armed to the teeth.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Adam H. Putnam, Commissioner - Grea Bevis, Director
    Regulated Industries and Licensees
    Department Home
    Licensing Home
    - Concealed Weapons
    - Investigation
    - Recovery
    - Security
    Contact Information
    FAQ
    Related Links
    Department Search
    Select a Division

Possession Restrictions
    The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    any courtroom*
    any polling place
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    any school administration building
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    any elementary or secondary school facility
    any area technical center
    any college or university facility*
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Co

Note: The below quote is taken from the 2011 Florida Law Enforcement Handbook

790.01 (4)

It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for the purpose
    of lawful self defense, in a concealed manner:
    (a) A self defense chemical spray.
    (b) A non lethal stun gun or dart firing stun gun or other non lethal electric weapon or device that is designed soley for defensive purposes.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The guardian angel would be prohibited as well: Matt
    As I read that, the million volt stun device is not included. A definite plus since I know for a fact that the super loud fryin' bacon sound will cut right thru the thickest alcoholic haze your opponent might be under. So +1 for deterrent effect without even having to use it. BTW, I have used a stun device (contact not TASER) under actual conditions and in my experience they work both in the deterrence and in the contact to put down a drunken enraged opponent.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Follow the law 75% of the time, all the time.

i guess i can't say that i'm a law abiding citizen all the time. i do not carry my gun when i drink so obviously i don't carry it when i go into bars but that doesn't mean i am willing to leave myself defenseless. i carry my TDI self defense law enforcement knife sometimes when i'm carrying my pistol but definitely when i'm not, and that means in bars. i usually stick to the same bars which are no problem but the other night i went out for a friends birthday who wanted to go to a bar i've never been to. recently they had someone get shot with a .22lr so when i went they were patting everyone down. needless to say they took my knife but were kind enough to return it to me when i left. this however did not make me feel safe in this place. i'm not racist by any means but this place was very... dark... and i'm pretty sure at least half of them were packin. i guess i do have one question. in florida, you cannot carry a gun when you are over .01 bac but does this include carrying any weapon such as a knife? i'm not talking about concealed carry, i'm talking about carrying anything other than a gun while over .01.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Possession Restrictions
    The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.
    Interesting, our law lists about all of the SAME places, with one very very very big exception ......... right before all that .... it says "IF .... conspicuously posted with the approved AG signage" ........ in other words, it's not illegal to carry UNLESS it's posted .... the same as anywhere else.

It was a nice addition to the law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Looks to me that an OWB taser rig can be carried legally in Florida if concealed. Or IWB if it's available I guess.

Did i understand that correctly?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

How does FL define a "Bar"?

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    i guess i can't say that i'm a law abiding citizen all the time. i do not carry my gun when i drink so obviously i don't carry it when i go into bars but that doesn't mean i am willing to leave myself defenseless. i carry my TDI self defense law enforcement knife sometimes when i'm carrying my pistol but definitely when i'm not, and that means in bars. i usually stick to the same bars which are no problem but the other night i went out for a friends birthday who wanted to go to a bar i've never been to. recently they had someone get shot with a .22lr so when i went they were patting everyone down. needless to say they took my knife but were kind enough to return it to me when i left. this however did not make me feel safe in this place. i'm not racist by any means but this place was very... dark... and i'm pretty sure at least half of them were packin. i guess i do have one question. in florida, you cannot carry a gun when you are over .01 bac but does this include carrying any weapon such as a knife? i'm not talking about concealed carry, i'm talking about carrying anything other than a gun while over .01.
    I'm confused. You say they were patting everyone down and then you say half of them were packing. How does that happen?
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I'm confused. You say they were patting everyone down and then you say half of them were packing. How does that happen?
    Im not sure if they were packin but i wouldnt be suprised if some of them snuck something in. The bouncer wasnt patting people down very well.

where did you get this .01 from?
    AFAIK there is nothing in the fla laws about carrying and drinking

Im not sure if they were packin but i wouldnt be suprised if some of them snuck something in. The bouncer wasnt patting people down very well.
    Should have hid your knife better than.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    How does FL define a "Bar"?
    Any place that derives the majority of it's income from the dispensation of alcohol. Technically, you'd be legit in a restaurant that serves, but not in their adjoining bar (like Outback, Chiles, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Any place that derives the majority of it's income from the dispensation of alcohol. Technically, you'd be legit in a restaurant that serves, but not in their adjoining bar (like Outback, Chiles, etc.)
    not quite right, there is nothing in the fla law that says anything abot what portion of income determines what is a bar and what is not a bar.
    for practical purposes a bar is the portion of an establishment that alcohol is dispensed or served. there are almost no stand alone bars in fla anymore, but if you found one you cannot go in there with your gun.
    most places are restaurants that have bar areas, do not sit at the bar and if you stay out of the bar area and you can be in the place and you can even enjoy an adult beverage while carrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links