My 1st EDC Knife

This is a discussion on My 1st EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I personally like very much and carry every day the Gerber Hinderer Combat Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41870 Hinderer Combat Life Saver Knife with Serrated Edge: Home ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My 1st EDC Knife

I personally like very much and carry every day the Gerber Hinderer Combat

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41870 Hinderer Combat Life Saver Knife with Serrated Edge: Home Improvement

its got so many uses its ridiculous. I also have the Rescue version of the Hinderer with the Nylon pouch and mini tool bit set.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I have the full sized 553 Griptilian, tanto half serrated blade. Any Griptilian is a good knife.
    I just purchased a Griptilian 551 S. I looked at the SOG assisted but decided the Benchmade was a better option for me.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

personally in the Kershaw line I like the Blur,its a ken onion design,aus-8 steel,Icarried one on two t.o.d's,never had any issues,still have it,I mostly carry my benchmade 722 now that i'm stateside,simply because my wife give it to me,the only issue with crkt they employ the LAWKS,that to me is to much stuff going on around the blade,dont need a self inflicted wound taking me out of the fight.if you can find an older crkt the lock is manual,the sog knifes absolutely don't like salt water,sweat,I haven't had much experience with gerber,but good luck with your purchase.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I agree with an earlier comment that was made about you needing to really get these knives in your hands to see how they feel to you. Something on one knife model that may not be a big deal to some people may be a deal breaker for you. The Benchmade Griptilian models, for example, are great knives and the Axis system is also a really a great mechanism. Griptilians, however, are somewhat on the thick side, IMO, and this could be something that you might hate about it. I don't say this to trash Griptilians because I have one and carry it with me everyday. I didn't realize how thick it really is though until I compared it to my Spyderco Delica. Both are great knives but for me I like the Benchmade for a SD EDC blade. My Benchmade is my first EDC and I can't tell you how excited I was to order it as well as to receive it. In some ways, I kind of envy you buying your first EDC knife because I remember how much I enjoyed buying my first EDC. You only have one first time, you know?

Although I love my Griptilian, mine is a partial serrated version and I'm thinking I'd like to have a solid plain edge. I'll get one one of these days when my funds are in a better state than they are now. Most likely, your first EDC knife will also not be the only one you'll ever buy. Enjoy the process of getting your first EDC but also realize that if your taste or methodology changes in the future, you can always buy or trade for another knife.

I hope for you to have success in your search and by all means let us know what you get!

Take care,
    DCG
    Last edited by DefConGun; August 23rd, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

I just bought a Spyderco Tenacious. Lots of knife for the money.
    DefConGun likes this.

Debraves8, not sure if you are still looking. Earlier today, I received a sale flyer from Cabela's. On page 24 they have a Kershaw G10 Packrat on sale for $39.99. Originally sold for $89.99 a $50 savings.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Debraves8, not sure if you are still looking. Earlier today, I received a sale flyer from Cabela's. On page 24 they have a Kershaw G10 Packrat on sale for $39.99. Originally sold for $89.99 a $50 savings.
    I wonder if you have to have a coupon code to get it at that price. I just checked and it's listed at $59.99.

Is this the same knife you were talking about?
    Kershaw Special Buy Packrat Knife, Knives & Tools, Archery, Bargain Cave : Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I wonder if you have to have a coupon code to get it at that price. I just checked and it's listed at $59.99.

Kershaw Special Buy Packrat Knife, Knives & Tools, Archery, Bargain Cave : Cabela's
    Yes that is what is listed in the flyer. Additionally, the flyer has a yellow rectangle in the Kershaw ad saying " Same great price Store or Online. The link you provided is not the same price. Perhaps a call to customer service or on line chat would clarify. Let us know what you learn.

BTW the dates for this particular sale are Aug 25 through Sept 25 so perhaps that is the reason for the online price difference.

Yes that is what is listed in the flyer. Additionally, the flyer has a yellow rectangle in the Kershaw ad saying " Same great price Store or Online. The link you provided is not the same price. Perhaps a call to customer service or on line chat would clarify. Let us know what you learn.

BTW the dates for this particular sale are Aug 25 through Sept 25 so perhaps that is the reason for the online price difference.
    Good info. Thanks for sharing. I have no plans to order the knife, I was just looking to get an idea about it since it is being made available at such a good price.

It looks like a good knife to me & if you can really get it for $39.99, it looks like a real good bang for the buck. If anybody else winds up ordering this knife and getting it for this price, maybe they'll let us know and give us a mini-review on how they like their knife.

Gotta love a good knife sale. ;-)

Good info. Thanks for sharing. I have no plans to order the knife, I was just looking to get an idea about it since it is being made available at such a good price.

It looks like a good knife to me & if you can really get it for $39.99, it looks like a real good bang for the buck. If anybody else winds up ordering this knife and getting it for this price, maybe they'll let us know and give us a mini-review on how they like their knife.

Gotta love a good knife sale. ;-)
    I agree! $40 for a good knife is always brightens ones day :)
    DefConGun likes this.

I just checked the Cabela's link and the knife is listed for $39.99.

I just checked the Cabela's link and the knife is listed for $39.99.
    As advertised! Sweet!

Debraves8, did you ever get a knife? Have you narrowed down the prospects?

I love my CRKT, but I have the CRKT M16-10K. I prefer the tanto tip.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

recently got into neck knifes! Check out Home Page made out of D2 steel!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links