My 1st EDC Knife

My 1st EDC Knife

This is a discussion on My 1st EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just looking for a good all around knife to EDC but also a nice defensive knife if I had to use it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My 1st EDC Knife

My 1st EDC Knife

I am just looking for a good all around knife to EDC but also a nice defensive knife if I had to use it. I carry a XDSC 9mm for my sidearm CCW so dont plan on needing a knife as my primary self defense weapon but would be nice to have one just incase. It would be pocket carry I have a bass pro gift card and want to spend 75 bucks or less on a decent knife from bass pro. here are the ones I liked please let me know the best bang for my buck. Sorry for the list of so many knifes.

Thanks

Kershaw Knifes

Kershaw PackRat Folding Knife

Kershaw Clash Assisted Opening Fine Blade Lockback Folding Knife

Kershaw Skyline Lockback Pocket Knife

Kershaw Volt II Assisted Opening Fine Blade Lockback Folding Knife

Kershaw Leek Folding Knives Onion

Gerber
    Gerber Profile Fine Edge Drop Point Folding Blade Knife

Gerber EVO Knives - Fine Edge

CRKT
    CRKT M16-01KZ Spear Point Folding Knife

SOG
    SOG Twitch XL Folding Knife

SOG Trident Straight Edge Lockback Knife

By pocket carry, do you mean loose in your pocket? If so, I would avoid ANY assisted opening knife. The last thing you want is to have the knife accidentally open in your pocket. I always stick with knives with a pocket clip, preferably tip up with the blade against the seam of my pocket. The last assisted opening knife I had (Benchmade Aphid) that was tip up somehow opened up slightly and I got spiked when I reached in to grab my keys. I no longer carry that knife.

That being said, I would try and hold the knives in your list before making a choice. You want to make sure that the handle is comfortable for you and not slippery.

RKM
    I have a Kershaw Chive, my buddy has a Kershaw Leek. The spring assisted opening of them are very fast. They're good knives. I also have a SOG Twitch II, which is the smaller one, but my same buddy has a Twitch XL. Opening isn't as fast as the Kershaw's, but still a good knife. I have the SOG Trident as well, but with a Tanto blade. Very good knife. Though, the safety is annoying. I super glued it OFF. I only have one Gerber knife and don't really like it. Mainly just the blades is very soft and gets dull very quickly. I forget the model but it's neither of the two you selected. No experience with CRKT.

If you're willing to spend about $25 more, Benchmade Griptilian is one of the best overall knives IMO. Big enough blade for self defense if needed, and clearly good enough for any day to day tasks. 154CM blade is fairly sharp, and it stays sharp. In turn it's more difficult to sharpen, but you won't need to do it as much. The Axis Lock is addicting. I plan on buying another Griptilian with a thumbhole blade just for the heck of it.

Cold Steel also has some affordable options and they are razor sharp. You will cut yourself, just prepare the band aids. I have a Recon 1 and a Mini Ak-47.

And I prefer tip-up. But that's a preference you'll have to figure out for yourself.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I vote for the Kershaw Leek. I own one and the size, weight, sharp edge, great clip and quick deployment of the blade is perfect for EDC. I guarantee that you will be very pleased with this knife. Plus, it is Made in the USA!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I have a Kershaw Chive, my buddy has a Kershaw Leek. The spring assisted opening of them are very fast. They're good knives. I also have a SOG Twitch II, which is the smaller one, but my same buddy has a Twitch XL. Opening isn't as fast as the Kershaw's, but still a good knife. I have the SOG Trident as well, but with a Tanto blade. Very good knife. Though, the safety is annoying. I super glued it OFF. I only have one Gerber knife and don't really like it. Mainly just the blades is very soft and gets dull very quickly. I forget the model but it's neither of the two you selected. No experience with CRKT.

If you're willing to spend about $25 more, Benchmade Griptilian is one of the best overall knives IMO. Big enough blade for self defense if needed, and clearly good enough for any day to day tasks. 154CM blade is fairly sharp, and it stays sharp. In turn it's more difficult to sharpen, but you won't need to do it as much. The Axis Lock is addicting. I plan on buying another Griptilian with a thumbhole blade just for the heck of it.

Cold Steel also has some affordable options and they are razor sharp. You will cut yourself, just prepare the band aids. I have a Recon 1 and a Mini Ak-47.

And I prefer tip-up. But that's a preference you'll have to figure out for yourself.
    What model Griptilian I really do like the benchmade knives.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I vote for the Kershaw Leek. I own one and the size, weight, sharp edge, great clip and quick deployment of the blade is perfect for EDC. I guarantee that you will be very pleased with this knife. Plus, it is Made in the USA!
    - I have the Leek and it's a great knife. I would be hesitant to consider it a SD knife though since the handle is metal and VERY slippery. There is a non-metal handle version that is much more grippy.

I vote for and carry the CRKT M-16 daily. Got it as a gift for being in a friends wedding. He told us he wanted to give us a knife big enough to be useful, but not too big to keep on you every day. I feel naked if I leave the house without it. Whether I'm going to work, or hanging out and family/friends house's. That knife goes with me everywhere, stays super sharp, and opens "unassisted" faster than any knife I've ever used. (To be clear, I've never had an assisted open knife, but the "Carson Flipper" on the M-16 is scary fast when you learn how to use it.)

not on your list but look at the kershaw needs work, I have had 2, lost one abd replaced it for 30$ at walmart, its very fast opening and is sharp enough to shave with, holds edge very well, the blade angle is perfect for cutting and its plenty for sd, I have actually dissuaded several attackers with mine one time. btw it replaced my 110$ remington law enforcement as my edc knife.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I have the full sized 553 Griptilian, tanto half serrated blade. Any Griptilian is a good knife.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    BM550 if you like the Spidey hole opener or BM551 for the thumb stud.

I like my M16-01KZ but I would go with the 03 for a SD knife. The 01 is just a bit small. Perfect for day to day utility but a tad anemic for defensive use.

I would also urge you to take a look at the Barrage, or Rift from Benchmade. They are a little higher in price but you won't be disappointed with either.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Have you looked at the TDI law enforcement close combat knives? That's what I carry.

I have never had a problem with good assisted-opening knives. I have two - a Kershaw Blur and a Gerber Answer. Both clip on the inside of your front pants pocket. The Gerber has a safety, the Kershaw doesn't. The Gerber sits lower in your pocket - doesn't show as much.

I have had a problem with true switchblades. They usually have crappy locking mechanisms and are likely to come open while in your pocket. Not to mention that most of them take a lousy edge.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Kershaw Skyline 25 at walmart G10 scales, light weight for loose in pocket or on clip and opens quick Great every day knife. I carried one for 6 months befor moeing onto another.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Don't know what the model no. is but check out the Kershaw assisted-opening with the tanto point, love mine & it has never come open in my pocket, nor has the Kershaw blackout.

Muzzelloader season a few years back I shot a deer at dusk, blood trailed the darn thing for over an hour (now its dark) found the deer put I had somehow forgot my custom Kennedy hunting knife, all I had was my Kershaw blackout. Between my mini mag flashlight & Kershaw that deer dressed out fairly easy.

Kershaw makes a good knife.

My advice would be to go get these knives in your hands and see what you like. Some knives don't have as quick of an assisted opening system as others.
    I'm a Gerber loyalist but when I went to get my EDC knife I wasn't terribly impressed by the speed of the Gerber systems. I ended up going with a Kershaw Blur Tanto. I love the grip on it, the thumb knob is great and it opens almost as fast as an automatic IMO. It also has a reversible clip.
    It has kept an edge pretty well and I've only had to sharpen it once but that was my fault.....don't use it to cut dozens of cardboard boxes.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links