Defensive Carry banner

Hand Stitching Leather Knife Sheaths And Holsters.

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I hate to see people using that doggone Stitching Awl - What's it called? The StitchAll ? for sewing leather whan Hand Saddle Stitching is easier, quicker, & it looks SO MUCH nicer.

This is really not the traditional way to saddle stitch but, it's the way a lot of folks do it these days. They pre-drill the holes and if you get them evenly spaced with a small enough diameter drill bit it still looks great.

Here is an instructional VID that I found that will show you the single and double needle saddle stitch method.
Pick one or the other but, I think the second is better for holsters and knife sheaths.

Truthfully I think the holes drilled in this VIDEO are a bit too large but, that was probably done for demonstration purposes.

You will need:
> To make a simple "Stitching Horse" to hold your leather.
> Some way to drill straight evenly spaced holes.
> Some saddle stitching needles. (Tandy Leather Co.)
> Some saddle stitching thread/cord. (Tandy)
> Some bees wax.

See less See more
#2 ·
QKShooter,
I have to agree with you. My leather skills are more utilitarian than artful, but I much prefer the saddle stitch method with two needles. I do have one of those stitching awls for quick canvass/tent repairs. It's easier to pack and keep track of than needles and punches.

#3 ·
Also: If a person puts their stitches into a stitching groove using a "groover" the hand saddle stitches will look better still ~ and that also serves to protect the stitches from "abrasion wear" since they are then countersunk down below the surface of the leather.
Doing that would be utilitarian as well as decorative.

NOTE:
I realize that this forum thread will not be for everyone as only a comparatively few of our members actually ever attempt to do their own leather holster and sheath work.

When I do my stitching on custom knife sheaths I use a Tippmann BOSS stitcher.

I like it because:

> It can easily stitch through really thick multiple layers of leather.
> I can set each stitch one stitch at a time.
> I can adjust the tension to pull every stitch extremely tight.

The down side is that it does not do thread size changes easily so I always stick with one size & style of needle and the heaviest stitching thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.