Cheapies (Knives)

This is a discussion on Cheapies (Knives) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how many of you all will go someplace see a cheap knife and buy it? I have gone to walmart and seen ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cheapies (Knives)

Cheapies (Knives)

I was wondering how many of you all will go someplace see a cheap knife and buy it?

I have gone to walmart and seen a few winchester knives for 5 bucks that dont look like they will last long but I will still buy 5 or 6 just to keep one and give the rest away to friends or people (usually a friend at work or something) who needs one.
    Also I will hit a garage sale or flea market (Tons down here in South Tx) and buy a weird random knife, Just picked one up that looks like a spear with a pistol grip style handle. 8 bucks and I figure if I lose it or give it away its fine just something to carry.

Just wondering how many of you all do this also?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Nah, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a couple of "cheaper" knives that walmart has. The buck special is a pretty sweet knife for the price. If I hadn't already bought a SOG, I probably would have picked that one up.

I picked up a 119 at walmart for 30 and the 110 for 26 (girlfriend bought it for my bday) best knife I have. and a coworker gave me an older model 110 with finger grooves.

I picked up a Kershaw at Walmart... great knife.

Cheap is relative, I guess... $40 isn't much compared to some knives on the market.

This is true I picked up some of mine for 100 and it wasnt too bad compared to a few 300 dollar knives I wanted that I would never buy.

I'm tough on knifes so I too go for the low cost vs high end. I do have and have had the more expensive but they break just as easy as the elcheapo and I don't mind destroying a $15 knife nearly as much as a $200 one.

I use it for every thing including jobs usually delegated to hammers. My thought is if they hadn't meant for it to be used for a hammer they shouldn't have made it big enough to handle like a rock.

Country living places different needs on a daily carry vs urban dwelling.
    Spade115 likes this.

I put my SOG Tech Bowie through the ringer. It has failed me in some instances, and shines admirably in others. I test out any tool, extensively, that I might bet my life on. At least I know what it's limits are, now. I still think it is worth what I paid for it. There are probably plenty of cheap knives that can do what you need them to do, as well, though.

I have actually managed to break my leatherman skeletool (75 dollars) twice and glad it has warranty (25 yrs) and I admite I abuse my stuff. I use them from cooking/eating (being cleaned of course) to truck/bike maintnence to fixing my coworkers heals and purse's to their cars. Only other thing is a good pair of thin shades. lol

Just bought a 12-15" Bowie Knife with Winchester's name on it from Wally World for $19.97+ Tax.

I plan to carry it when in Florida hunting 'Gator & Boar.

For now it lives under the bed at the house with a Tarus Public Defender (loaded with 000 Buck,PDX,.410 slugs,and 00 Buck) and I sleep like a baby(just don't wake this baby ).
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

Sounds like you put more stress on yours than I generally do, but I will pick up the smith and wesson knives from big 5 for $12 from time to time.

Its hard for me to justify an expensive knife. The SOG is about the biggest knife purchase I would need to make.

BigJon

i usually end up loosing more knives to find them a few weeks later on top of the washing machine under the bed under the seat of the car so i buy cheap ones all the time whenever i see a decent knife for cheap, i am also very hard on mine and in six months i will usually break a tip or two off trying to use it as a screwdriver or things like that

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I like cheap knives, but from reputable brands. In particular I have found that Spyderco Byrd, Böker Plus, and Magnum knives are excellent deals for utility knives. My favorite low cost knife is definitely the Spyderco Tenacious!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I kept braking the tips on knives as well thats why I bought my leatherman.

My girlfriend carries the Boker Magnum Bulldog a fat little knife but its her favorite and I usually have my buck but since its been hard to open (gotta figure out how to clean it properly) I am carrying a cheapy (8 dollar spear point)

Administrator
    I agree that Spyderco delivers the best bang for the buck.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    I bought a bunch of cheap($4.00-$6.00) SS frame locks from an online wholesaler with the intent of engraving my Co. logo on them for give-a-ways. I was disappointed with the results from the Etch-o-matic engraver that I have. I think that the durafilm I have is old. Some day I'll get some new and try it again.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links