Cold Steel's "Steel Tiger" defense knife.

This is a discussion on Cold Steel's "Steel Tiger" defense knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perusing Cold Steel's website, I came upon the Steel Tiger Karambit and thought it looked like a pretty interesting weapon for self defense, but is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel's "Steel Tiger" defense knife.

Cold Steel's "Steel Tiger" defense knife.

Perusing Cold Steel's website, I came upon the Steel Tiger Karambit and thought it looked like a pretty interesting weapon for self defense, but is it practical? Would you carry one of these? If so, how would you carry it? To take a look at it, you can go here

2. Remove Ads

you mean, is it practical as concealed carry? if that's what you meant, then no. i have the nightshade version of it, and it's on the large side. otherwise, i think it would be very practical for self defense, depending, of course, on your own skill level. i'm probably gonna end up buying one, so i'll keep you posted.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I personally want a sticker, not a slasher for a self defense knife, that knife is obviously a slasher.

I personally want a sticker, not a slasher for a self defense knife, that knife is obviously a slasher.
    Or you could call it a "hooker"....but that just sounds bad.

i'm probably gonna end up buying one, so i'll keep you posted.
    Thanks Jahwarrior! I'm gonna hold you to that

yeah, i've been a karambit fan ever since an indonesian friend gave me one a few years back. i figure, for less than $50, it's not a bad price for a fixed blade 'hooker'...

Hookers are fun, but they arent for me. haha
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I personally find Kerambits to be a little too "task specific." In other words, they're strictly a slashing knife. I prefer a blade design that gives you the ability to thrust as well. OTOH, if you have had specific training with a Kerambit, knock yourself out.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    The DOWN Side (or the UP side) of knives patterned like the Steel Tiger Karambit.

In a potential knife attack...the Bad Guy pulls out a knife and you don't ever know exactly HOW you would be attacked.

If the Bad Guy pulls out a knife w/ a blade patterned like the Steel Tiger Karambit then you'll know (in advance) that his agressive offensive knife action will be limited to only a slash type attack.

Always much easier to defend oneself if known ahead of time exactly how the attacker must attack.

This is a good looking slasher but it is not for me.

VIP Member
    Kerambits tend to be large for my hand, and considering it's 1" over the legal blade length for TN, it's out for me. I also prefer my carry knife be adequate for utility duty, and that blade shape doesn't suit me.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I think Karambits are great for self defense as long as you have the proper training. I count myself lucky to have spent many hours training with Steve Tarani in the use of the Karambit. There are better Karambit out there then the tiger though.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I wouldn't carry it. If you ever were prosecuted in a self-defense scenario involving a blade like that, the jury would only need glimpse at it to convict you just because it looks menacing. The prosecutor would paint you as a Jack the ripper wannabe.

i carry a Cold Steel Voyager large tanto, it looks plain-jane, but is rock solid. i have hade mine for 6 years and it is in great shape. i have spent thousands (if you ask my wife, it was only hundreds) on everything from Boker to Spyderco, and if you ask me, cold steel makes some real workhorses. lowflyer is right, looks are just as damaging as a name, like i said, i own hundreds of knives, but i carry the voyager because it looks and sounds non-menacing, the same reason i carry a Kimber stainless target II. if you have the newest coolest MOD or Emerson knife, or carry a Nighthawk Preditor 1911 or Charter Bulldog, and you have to use them in self- defense, in my eyes you just did half the work for the prossicuter.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    I count myself lucky to have spent many hours training with Steve Tarani in the use of the Karambit.
    That really is the catch- if you are into Indonesian MA, and spend significant time training it in, you'll be in fine shape. For the more traditional among us, the karambit does not lend itself well to traditional hammer-fist, and would be only marginally effective combined with a boxing background(vs the push dagger). Kind of like giving a Bowie to a pikal fighter, with no preface......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    That really is the catch- if you are into Indonesian MA, and spend significant time training it in, you'll be in fine shape. For the more traditional among us, the karambit does not lend itself well to traditional hammer-fist, and would be only marginally effective combined with a boxing background(vs the push dagger). Kind of like giving a Bowie to a pikal fighter, with no preface......

Rob72,

I agree with you a 100%. I would also say weather you carry firearm or a blade tool you should train in that tool. You shoot a auto a little different then a revolver and a fix blade is a little different the a folder. It's all about training and then more training.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links