Going to Hawaii - Page 2

Going to Hawaii

This is a discussion on Going to Hawaii within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by livewire9880 This is going to be more fun than I thought :-D I don't know for sure where we're going, I haven't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    This is going to be more fun than I thought :-D

I don't know for sure where we're going, I haven't been involved in the planning much. One of our friends has access to TrendWest condos, and I don't know how far they are from the the "Tourist" areas... About all I do know is that we're going to Maui. I appreciate your insights, they'll help me focus my SA a bit.

Not to get off topic (or to start a flamewar), but this is the reason I wish the national reciprocity bills would get some traction. My in-laws have a lot of family in California, and I have the same problem if we go there.
    Well, Maui is a different story, and a much better island. The comments above mostly refer to Oahu. Enjoy your vacation.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, Maui is a different story, and a much better island. The comments above mostly refer to Oahu. Enjoy your vacation.
    So no practically naked hookers then? Sad, lol.

And thank you.

I always carry my cross pen on the plane. It would be almost as good as a tactical pen and its very common.

What's a "cross pen"?

What's a "cross pen"?
    It's a brand of writing instrument, about five inches long and slightly more than 1/4" in diameter. With the pen point exposed it would do a fine job on a chest, eye, jugular vein, etc.

I always have mine, and matching mechanical pencil (also a good stabbing weapon), in my shirt pocket. Never have had TSA or anyone else say anything about them in 30+years of flying.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Handy... I'll have to look for one. Thanks :)

Handy... I'll have to look for one. Thanks :)
    A plain ol' 25 cent Bic will accomplish the same thing. You'll pay upwards of $20 for just the pen in a Cross set.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My first suggestion would be a good cane (look at Cane Masters or Americane) or a good sturdy umbrella (you won't have to fake a limp). A tactical pen usually looks like a tactical pen I recommend a Cross or similar Ball point or the slightly thicker fountain pen which are really durable and do not look "tactical". A flashlight like a surefire will usually pass security.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    A plain ol' 25 cent Bic will accomplish the same thing. You'll pay upwards of $20 for just the pen in a Cross set.
    Get yourself a Zebra F-301 pen. Stainless steel pen body, cheap ($3), yet good quality. The pocket clips are good and strong too. It won't break. Makes a great stabbing implement.

You can probably get one at any Walmart or Walgreen's (If you can't find it, order directly from the link I provided).

Be sure to get one with a steel body (they also make plastic ones). The #F-301 is one of the steel versions.

27110PROD.jpg
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Buy yourself a nice knife when you get there. Then either mail it home or pack it in your luggage when you leave.

I know the OP is planning to stay land-locked, but if anyone is flying out and taking a cruise, forget the knives. Not only do you have to pass back through screening when you return to the ship, but you have to pass through the State of Hawaii screening before that. I have cruised in Alaska, the Med and the Caribbean and never had all the security checkpoints to pass through that we had this past April. And every one of them was SLOW. Even Turkey and Egypt were a snap, by comparison.

On the other hand, I carried my monopod for my camera everywhere I went. With the camera off, I used it as a cane/walking stick. Collapsed, it is 22 inches long, weighs 1.5 pounds and has a very heavy pan head on it. Great defense weapon and no one bated an eyelash at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I know the OP is planning to stay land-locked, but if anyone is flying out and taking a cruise, forget the knives. Not only do you have to pass back through screening when you return to the ship, but you have to pass through the State of Hawaii screening before that. I have cruised in Alaska, the Med and the Caribbean and never had all the security checkpoints to pass through that we had this past April. And every one of them was SLOW. Even Turkey and Egypt were a snap, by comparison.

On the other hand, I carried my monopod for my camera everywhere I went. With the camera off, I used it as a cane/walking stick. Collapsed, it is 22 inches long, weighs 1.5 pounds and has a very heavy pan head on it. Great defense weapon and no one bated an eyelash at it.
    I already have a nice knife I could put in my luggage on the way down. I just don't have any knife training, and I doubt I would be effective with it, it's a tool to me. Thanks for the heads up about the cruises and such, does that kind of security count for the local tour boats as well? I really don't know what we're going to be doing down there...

I already have a nice knife I could put in my luggage on the way down. I just don't have any knife training, and I doubt I would be effective with it, it's a tool to me. Thanks for the heads up about the cruises and such, does that kind of security count for the local tour boats as well? I really don't know what we're going to be doing down there...
    Don't know, but we didn't encounter anything on our excursions - coral reef submarine, whale watching, etc.

enjoy your trip! Kauai is breathtaking...dont forget to travel the "Road to Hana." on Maui and stop and get some shaved ice at this little shack on the side of the road. its on a cliff. you'll know what I'm talking about.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    enjoy your trip! Kauai is breathtaking...dont forget to travel the "Road to Hana." on Maui and stop and get some shaved ice at this little shack on the side of the road. its on a cliff. you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Agreed! I'd love to spend a week on Kauai. Maui wasn't bad and we did do the road to Hana.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links