Going to Hawaii - Page 3

Going to Hawaii

This is a discussion on Going to Hawaii within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you do the Road to Hana stop for the home made Banana Bread too. BTW....I always take my Benchmade packed in luggage and never ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to Hawaii

If you do the Road to Hana stop for the home made Banana Bread too. BTW....I always take my Benchmade packed in luggage and never had a problem.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    First, the flight itself... is there anything I can do to be armed while not being armed? Obviously no firearms or blades, and I'm assuming OC Spray is out. I heard something in a thread somewhere about a "tactical pen", what is, and how hard is it to use, how hard to get some kind of training?
    I have successfully taken a Rick Hinderer tactical pen on a couple of flights with me. If you put it in a laptop bag with other pens or clip it to a notebook or something and take the cap off it looks rather harmless as a pen.

But I agree with Bark'n about the Zebra pen if you don't want to shell out the money for a truly "tactical" pen.

In the TDI Defensive Knife Class I took we got to play with tactical pens and were instructed that a lot of what we learned with our knives was directly transferable to small impact weapons like flashlights and tactical pens. We also got to use a tactical pen and flashlight on a deer carcass to see just how much damage they could do.. and it's a lot.

A small tactical flashlight might be something to consider taking on a plane with you.

What about canes? A big stick with a knob on the end, I assume that if I walk with a bit of a limp carrying a cane nobody will really question me (and all I have to do is scream "ADA" to make them drop it), am I right? What about training for that? Any quick and dirty ways to learn to employ it effectively?
    My husband took a TDI cane with him on one flight with no issues whatsoever. It was kind of funny to see him exaggerating a limp as well. No one questioned him. Canes are medical devises and can never be denied unless they have hidden weapons, etc.

TDI also has an Impact Weapons class that specifically goes over tools such as canes, etc. I think a TDI cane is included in the fee for the class. Win/Win!!

Have fun in HI!!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have successfully taken a Rick Hinderer tactical pen on a couple of flights with me. If you put it in a laptop bag with other pens or clip it to a notebook or something and take the cap off it looks rather harmless as a pen.

But I agree with Bark'n about the Zebra pen if you don't want to shell out the money for a truly "tactical" pen.

In the TDI Defensive Knife Class I took we got to play with tactical pens and were instructed that a lot of what we learned with our knives was directly transferable to small impact weapons like flashlights and tactical pens. We also got to use a tactical pen and flashlight on a deer carcass to see just how much damage they could do.. and it's a lot.

A small tactical flashlight might be something to consider taking on a plane with you.

My husband took a TDI cane with him on one flight with no issues whatsoever. It was kind of funny to see him exaggerating a limp as well. No one questioned him. Canes are medical devises and can never be denied unless they have hidden weapons, etc.

TDI also has an Impact Weapons class that specifically goes over tools such as canes, etc. I think a TDI cane is included in the fee for the class. Win/Win!!

Have fun in HI!!
    Thanks, we can always count on you for some great insights :)

Shame that instruction facility is so far away Unfortunately, I don't have time or budget to take any classes before I go... and I really hate that. I think I might get a new flashlight... as nice as those pens look, I don't want to spend that much money on a pen as I lose pens constantly. Flashlights I don't seem to have as much trouble with. I think I'll try to get a cane either way. Out in the open, using a staff-like weapon seems like it would take more training than in close quarters like a plane... 'grab shaft, shove upward into chin of hijacker' seems pretty basic for an unexpected move

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links