Going to Hawaii

This is a discussion on Going to Hawaii within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... this November, I'm going to Hawaii with the in-laws and a couple friends. Since HI doesn't recognize anyone's permits, and I obviously can't carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Hawaii

Going to Hawaii

So... this November, I'm going to Hawaii with the in-laws and a couple friends. Since HI doesn't recognize anyone's permits, and I obviously can't carry on the plane, I have a couple of questions.

First, the flight itself... is there anything I can do to be armed while not being armed? Obviously no firearms or blades, and I'm assuming OC Spray is out. I heard something in a thread somewhere about a "tactical pen", what is, and how hard is it to use, how hard to get some kind of training?

What about canes? A big stick with a knob on the end, I assume that if I walk with a bit of a limp carrying a cane nobody will really question me (and all I have to do is scream "ADA" to make them drop it), am I right? What about training for that? Any quick and dirty ways to learn to employ it effectively?

I'm not too concerned about being in HI itself... we aren't staying at a big hotel, and if we're on the beach I assume I'll be able to see anything happen from way off... but my situational awareness will be high anyway just due to being in unfamiliar surroundings.

What about carrying TO the airport? Maybe this is a more localized question, but are there such things as secure lockers at an airport where I can lock my pistol up? I'll be driving accross WA to Sea-Tac Airport, I'd hate to have to leave my pistol at home, but I may not have any choice in the matter. Life would be easier if we were going somewhere I could take it, but alas, I couldn't get them to go to Florida instead :-D

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I don't know about the legality (or security) of locking your firearm in an airport locker, but from what I've read about Hawaii's weapons policies you'd need a permit just to carry the pepper spray!

My source was Handgunlaw.us and the links on the right side of the Hawaii PDF, along with other internet searches of Hawaii's laws.

I mentioned in another thread about retirement location preferences that I was thinking Hawaii would be a great place, until I actually read their dismal handgun laws.

Enjoy Hawaii anyways. I'd recommend a stop in Maui if you have the time.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    I don't know about the legality (or security) of locking your firearm in an airport locker, but from what I've read about Hawaii's weapons policies you'd need a permit just to carry the pepper spray!

My source was Handgunlaw.us and the links on the right side of the Hawaii PDF, along with other internet searches of Hawaii's laws.

I mentioned in another thread about retirement location preferences that I was thinking Hawaii would be a great place, until I actually read their dismal handgun laws.
    Yeah, Hawaii has a very European view of self defense... I'm pretty sure if someone tried to kill me and failed, I'd be paying them for physical and emotional damage for the rest of their lives. If it were up to me, we'd be going to the Florida Keys... just as nice weather, not as many people going, and my permits are good. Unfortunately, carrying down there isn't even on my radar.

I'm most concerned about finding a way to carry on the way over to the airport, and a way to secure it when I get there. I wish I had friends over in Seattle that I could leave it with, but I'm not sure of the firearms views of anyone I know over there, and I'm not that close to them anyway. Maybe if I have time I could get a safe deposit box at a bank for the week.

Anyone know anything about cane or some other kind of defense to carry on the plane for close quarters action with little training?

I believe tactical pens are prohibited in carry on luggage. However, other everyday items you could use at the airport are: heavy hardcover book, a hot cup of coffee, a walking stick/cane, laptop bag, or even a screwdriver. I would take anything that would be used to distract your assailant so you can run.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohib...s_brochure.pdf

Canes are good anywhere. I carried one on a trip to Curacao and had no problems in any airport. Didn't even get a second glance. Got free rides and a ton of sympathy from hotel staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Canes are good anywhere. I carried one on a trip to Curacao and had no problems in any airport. Didn't even get a second glance. Got free rides and a ton of sympathy from hotel staff.
    Might be the best reason so far, lol

One half pound of pewter on the end of 34" of leather. TSA has commented several times on how pretty it is.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

What about a Surefire ED2 LED Defender flashlight.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    A cane is the most practical of tools. Be sure to check Hawaii state law at the official state web site. Some places have been known to treat canes as weapons if you don't actually need one to walk with. In most places though they are under the radar. You do have some empty hand training don't you? We all should. Many everyday items can be used in an emergency. As was mentioned, hot coffee in the face to limit sight and for pain, or in the lap as a distraction, edge of a book to the groin, temple, jaw, kidney. A rolled up magazine can be used to block a punch or kick, & then poked endwise into the solar plexus, throat, armpit, groin, kidney, etc. On opened up magazine or newspaper can be used to block a persons vision (shove it right into their face) while you knee them in the groin.

Someone else around here suggested dropping ones gun off near the airport for a good cleaning. Then you pick it up again upon return to Seattle & have it for your return drive. Sounds like a good way to go.

By the way, don't forget to have fun!

Be Strong

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    A cane is the most practical of tools. Be sure to check Hawaii state law at the official state web site. Some places have been known to treat canes as weapons if you don't actually need one to walk with. In most places though they are under the radar. You do have some empty hand training don't you? We all should. Many everyday items can be used in an emergency. As was mentioned, hot coffee in the face to limit sight and for pain, or in the lap as a distraction, edge of a book to the groin, temple, jaw, kidney. A rolled up magazine can be used to block a punch or kick, & then poked endwise into the solar plexus, throat, armpit, groin, kidney, etc. On opened up magazine or newspaper can be used to block a persons vision (shove it right into their face) while you knee them in the groin.
    It's on my to-do list. Tactical training, unarmed combat, weapon retention... All on the list.

Someone else around here suggested dropping ones gun off near the airport for a good cleaning. Then you pick it up again upon return to Seattle & have it for your return drive. Sounds like a good way to go.
    Yeah... great theory, but just 'cause someone has a gun shop doesn't mean I trust them. Also, do you know of any good ones in SeaTac that just might happen to be open for a late flight? (I'm not sure when the plane leaves).

I found this on the SeaTac Airport FAQ:
    4. Is there a place at Sea-Tac for storage?
    Ken's Baggage Storage and Rentals, a staffed service on the Baggage Claim Level between Carousels 12 & 13, offers storage for everything from a small set of keys to a bicycle. There are no self-service baggage lockers at the Airport.
    I looked at their website, and you can store everything from your lighter to a frozen fish there... but no mention of firearms. And no email address either. I was thinking I could take my small lockbox, put my pistol in it, and make sure I get the serial number for the pistol and an ammo count on the claim slip, if they'll let me.

By the way, don't forget to have fun!

Be Strong
    Thanks

Regarding defensive training with a cane, there used to be a guy near Seattle named Bradley J. Steiner who specialized in walking stick and cane techniques. You can Google him. He may know someone near your location who you could train with.

Well, I was stationed in Hawaii until very recently, and basically, the SD laws there suck.

If you are on Oahu, stick with the tourist areas, and you should be okay. But once you get out of them, it starts getting a lot more iffy. Something to be aware of, Hawaii has a huge meth problem. So there is a fair amount of the usual amounts of crime that go along with that. But a lot of that is non-violent.

Avoid the bars/clubs after 2 (they are open until 4, but nothing good ever happens after midnight really). Prostitution is pretty rampant in the tourist sectors, although only really something you would notice in Waikiki after 11 o clock or so. But, if you have family with you, it is something to consider, as they don't wear much, and are right on the street.

And the drivers out there are all crazy too, so be careful if you are renting a car. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on here, or in a PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, I was stationed in Hawaii until very recently, and basically, the SD laws there suck.

If you are on Oahu, stick with the tourist areas, and you should be okay. But once you get out of them, it starts getting a lot more iffy. Something to be aware of, Hawaii has a huge meth problem. So there is a fair amount of the usual amounts of crime that go along with that. But a lot of that is non-violent.

Avoid the bars/clubs after 2 (they are open until 4, but nothing good ever happens after midnight really). Prostitution is pretty rampant in the tourist sectors, although only really something you would notice in Waikiki after 11 o clock or so. But, if you have family with you, it is something to consider, as they don't wear much, and are right on the street.

And the drivers out there are all crazy too, so be careful if you are renting a car. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on here, or in a PM.
    This is going to be more fun than I thought :-D

I don't know for sure where we're going, I haven't been involved in the planning much. One of our friends has access to TrendWest condos, and I don't know how far they are from the the "Tourist" areas... About all I do know is that we're going to Maui. I appreciate your insights, they'll help me focus my SA a bit.

Not to get off topic (or to start a flamewar), but this is the reason I wish the national reciprocity bills would get some traction. My in-laws have a lot of family in California, and I have the same problem if we go there.

"Not to get off topic (or to start a flamewar), but this is the reason I wish the national reciprocity bills would get some traction. My in-laws have a lot of family in California, and I have the same problem if we go there."

I too have family in Kalifornia & I feel your pain.

I feel the pain too. I have family in Hawaii, California and NYC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links