What, Where & How Do You CC Knives

This is a discussion on What, Where & How Do You CC Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye The point of all of this is that there is NO exact length that makes a pocket knife either acceptable ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What, Where & How Do You CC Knives

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The point of all of this is that there is NO exact length that makes a pocket knife either acceptable for pocket carry or not. It's a discretionary call by the officer and then the DA.

I carry a folding pocket knife too and the blade is right at 3.5 like you. I don't think we would ever have a problem with that length but you and I both know that you don't always encounter common sense and reason on every interaction with law enforcement.
    When a whole squad will break into a guy's gun safe and take the best guns for themselves, and be caught on video discussing how sweet some of them are and how to make it 'legal' to get into the safe and 'secure them', you best believe that some nice small knives may not be returned.

But in truth, it's all about intention. If you're a 50 y.o. grandmother and have a knife your 'son' gave you, you'll get a 'dearie, that's a big knife you got there...' and sent on your way. If you're someone 'of interest' the report will say 'had a weapon...' on the report and no mention it was a small SAK with scissors and a toothpick in the handle.

I'd select based on how well the knife slices cheese and spreads peanut butter and cuts twine, and unless your cheese is trying to escape, you don't need an auto-assisted knife. :)

I think I'd avoid those knives with skulls on the blade and super-scary pointy points and stuff if I was worried about interdiction.

2. Remove Ads

Cool

Depends on what is going on that day as to what knife I carry to do the job at hand.

All the knives in the photo are legal for a Florida CCW holder to carry concealed.

The vast majority of the time it is a Cold Steel Voyager (third from bottom) or a Cold Steel Lawman (bottom).

Strong side clipped in front pants pocket.

photo.jpg
    click photo to enlarge.......

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rm3482 View Post
    I pocket carry weak side my benchmade nitrous stryker

And then I also carry OWB weak side my KA-BAR T.D.I. which I love as a secondary to my primary weapon.

I like this post. +1 to the ka-bar!

The Benchmade Nim Cub II (bottom right in pic) is carried at 4 o'clock OWB

Eagle Pro Sunlite Turbo Flashlight is carried at 3 o'clock

The Ka-Bar TDI is carried at 8 o'clock IWB pistol grip forward

any one of the folders, though lately i've favored the Benchmade rift (top center) or the kershaw blur zdp-189 (middle left of ka-bar tdi), is clipped in back left pocket.

(cant carry a firearm so am limited to knives)

All are concealed except the clip on the folder showing at times

Last edited by Nicegy525; November 20th, 2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: adding details

I carry a Kershaw 1670, made in USA, clipped on my left front pocket, don't leave home with out it!

Blur_K1670BLKST.jpg
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I carry a well maintained and sharpened Spyderco Harpy. IF I ever have to pull it out, I want at least a chance that the look of it causing a second though of a bad guy, and if not, I want it to be effective, quick and a long time friend that I have opened and closed a few thousand times. Mine is over 20 years old and is as good as new. Cant say enough about my confidence and pleasure of this blade.

C08S-2.jpg

usually a pair of gerber applegates and maybe an emerson benchmade is various pockets.

Umnumzaan clipped strong side. Spartan Enyo IWB off side.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

i carry a buck vintage cliped in my right pocket everywhere i go not for SD but because i seem to always need a knife for something at some point
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Depends on what is going on that day as to what knife I carry to do the job at hand.

All the knives in the photo are legal for a Florida CCW holder to carry concealed.

The vast majority of the time it is a Cold Steel Voyager (third from bottom) or a Cold Steel Lawman (bottom).

Strong side clipped in front pants pocket.

photo.jpg
    click photo to enlarge.......

OS

That looks like a Cold Steel Mini Tanto! drool...

While I am working, I carry a S.W.A.T. 2" blade in my boot, and at all other times I have Gerber Paratrooper 4" blade clipped in my front pocket.
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Springfield XD9sc
    S&W 4516
    Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U

I used to carry a working folder clipped to my right front pocket, along with my G19 carried AIWB.

However, after taking the Suarez International 0-5Ft Gunfighting class, I found out there are times when a weapon accessible by either hand is a necessity. And sometimes a knife truly can beat a gun in a fight.

So I now have added a strictly defensive knife that is on my left-hand side. It is either a Spyderco waved folder, or a Kabar TDI fixed, depending on the state I'm in at the time.

Speaking for myself, I would rather have a good fixed blade for a back-up than a .380 or .32 in my pocket.

Lead Moderator
    Maryland has such crazy weapon laws, and of course it's just about impossible to get a CC permit or take a firearm anyplace... But you have to love their knife laws:

Maryland has no blade length laws as far as a "pen knife" goes.
    Maryland defined a "pen knife" as one that the blade folds into the handle of. There is a bunch of other legal speak in there about NOT being a switchblade as you will get in trouble for carrying one of them.
    As the law is written and case law supports this you may carry a folding knife of any blade length.
    Go buy that pocket machete.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I carry a S&W M&P Black M.A.G.I.C. Assisted folder with drop point. Here in Indiana everything that is assisted opening is technically illegal. Similar to the legal stuff posted on page 1 of this thread. My father is Chief of Police and pretty much stated that no one cares what kinda blade you're carrying as long as you aren't pulling it on someone as a weapon. In defense would be one thing but he was indicating the use of the knife to mug or initiate an attack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links