What, Where & How Do You CC Knives

This is a discussion on What, Where & How Do You CC Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, let's hear it. What knife or knives have you found to be comfortable if not comforting to CC? Where & how do you carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What, Where & How Do You CC Knives

What, Where & How Do You CC Knives

Well, let's hear it.

What knife or knives have you found to be comfortable if not comforting to CC?
    Where & how do you carry them?

The only knife I carry currently is a multi-tool(Leatherman SURGE) it does have a 3" blade but it may work beter as a projectile in a self defense scenairio.

I'm thinking a boot knife?
    IWB carry of some type or outside?
    Posibbly a type of carrying around the neck?

Fixed vs Folder?

Your thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Can't conceal anything other than a "ordinary folding pocket" knife here in NC so we're not a great source for info. Best check your state laws too before you decide, just to be sure.

Administrator
    This info for Kansas may or may not be "up to date" though knife laws never usually get more lax.

KANSAS 21-4201
    Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
    PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT
    Article 42.--CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC SAFETY
    21-4201. Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument; ...

Wyandotte County-Kansas City, Kansas - Code of Ordinances
    ARTICLE V. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC SAFETY*
    DIVISION 2. WEAPONS

Subdivision I. In General

Sec. 22-177. Unlawful use of weapons.
    (a) Unlawful use of weapons is knowingly:
    (1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, carrying or possessing any bludgeon, sword, cane, loaded cane, sandclub, metal knuckles, any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement, a mailed fist, spiked knuckles, metal fist covers or any leather apparatus or device worn on the arms, legs, hands, feet and that contain metal spikes, studs or other metal attachments, sap gloves containing granulated metal or other ingredients designed to add weight to the gloves, or other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character.
    (2) Carrying or possessing on one's person or in any land, water or air vehicle a sword, dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slingshot, dangerous knife, straight-edge razor, a lock-blade knife, belt or pocket pistol, fountain pistol or pen-like tear gas or powder charge projection weapon, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; provided, an ordinary pocket knife with a blade less than 3 1/2 inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife or a deadly weapon or instrument.

=================================

OLD VERSION

Kansas - Article 42. Crimes Against the Public Safety;
    Weapons Control. Section 21-4201. Criminal use of weapons
    is knowingly...
    (1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or
    carrying any... knife commonly referred to as a
    switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens
    automatically by hand pressure applied to a button,
    spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, or any
    knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected
    into position by the force of gravity or by an outward,
    downward or centrifugal thrust or movement...
    (2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing the
    same with intent to use unlawfully against another, a
    dagger, dirk... dangerous knife, straight-edged razor,
    stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or
    instrument of like character, except that an ordinary
    pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length
    shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a
    dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument...

Kansas Case Law:
    - "[city] Ordinance more restrictive than 21-4201 upheld."

Bernard Levine - Knife Expertise: Knife ID, Knife Laws, Knife Values

Someone get me a lawyer so I understand what I just read or should I say looked at. Reading would somewhat imply I understood it.

I think our laws need to be simplified. Citizens in good standings can do what they please.

Here in FL it's a 'concealed weapons' license, not a pistol permit.
    I keep one of several different Ken Onion assisted openers...clipped to my front pocket.
    Works for me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a leatherman skeletool. To me knives are tools, that may rarely, and I mean rarely be used in self defense so I carry for the tool function first and foremost and i don't give it a second thought for defense, that's what the firearm is for.

I don't.

If I am in a situation where I feel my life is in danger and great bodily harm/death is imminent and unavoidable, AND I will be deploying a deadly weapon against a threat; It will be a firearm. (If I have one) There are few places I go, where I could carry a knife and not a gun.

I have talked to people that carry a knife on their weak side to have another weapon available in case your strong arm is disabled, or actively involved in retaining your weapon. If I chose to do this I would carry a snub nose revolver instead. If your strong side is disabled, you still have options that include a firearm for defense. If you are actively retaining a weapon with your strong side, a snubby works fine for contact shots on the assailant. A snubby, rather than a small auto loader would have a less chance of failure to go into battery, or be limp wristed.

That said I do have a multitool with a knife blade on it.

I usually don't carry a knife unless I am at work, but I carry a S.O.G. with a 3.5 inch blade on it, super sharp and durable. I have had it for 5 years and I have yet to sharpen it after steady use. I don't know about your state laws about blade length or assisted openers. S.O.G you pretty much just have to sneeze and it opens which is why I love it.

Matthew
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

NC has the typical rules on pocket knives. 3.5 inch, no switchblade ect. I think anything else has to be exposed. I carry the SOG Flash. It's not a true defensive knife but it's sharp and quick to the point. i carry it clipped to the front pocket weak side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    NC has the typical rules on pocket knives. 3.5 inch, no switchblade ect. I think anything else has to be exposed. I carry the SOG Flash. It's not a true defensive knife but it's sharp and quick to the point. i carry it clipped to the front pocket weak side.
    NC doesn't have a specified length and the only case law found that a knife with an overall length of 4 and 1/2 inches was acceptable which means a 2 inch blade. Haven't seen any charges for a regular pocket knife but just be sure you know that it's an officer discretion item as to what is a "normal" pocket knife.

An excerpt from NC Statute 14-269 says "This section does not apply to
    an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As
    used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a
    small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
    which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
    its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
    explosive, or spring action..."

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    S.O.G. Trident Tanto clipped on weak side.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I carry a Gerber Epic inside the waste band on my strong side. This is the most comfortable and concealable fixed blade I have ever carried. The clip is reversible so you can carry IWB or OWB.

Here is a link if you want to check it out: Cabela's: Gerber® Epic Knife
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    NC doesn't have a specified length and the only case law found that a knife with an overall length of 4 and 1/2 inches was acceptable which means a 2 inch blade. Haven't seen any charges for a regular pocket knife but just be sure you know that it's an officer discretion item as to what is a "normal" pocket knife.

An excerpt from NC Statute 14-269 says "This section does not apply to
    an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As
    used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a
    small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
    which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
    its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
    explosive, or spring action..."
    The LEO's, and entire squad for Duke and 12 Durham county LEO's, when asked at a Q&A session during briefing all went with the 3.5 inch blade. Over all length was not discussed that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    The LEO's, and entire squad for Duke and 12 Durham county LEO's, when asked at a Q&A session during briefing all went with the 3.5 inch blade. Over all length was not discussed that I can recall.
    I'd love to hear any statute that provides that information. Just because a officer says it's so doesn't mean it's law.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    It's very hard to go wrong with a Cold Steel Ti-Lite 4 or 6 inch.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links