Weapon for my wife

This is a discussion on Weapon for my wife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife works in a downtown area and doesn't wish to carry a gun, nor would she be allowed to at her job. Currently she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon for my wife

Weapon for my wife

My wife works in a downtown area and doesn't wish to carry a gun, nor would she be allowed to at her job. Currently she carries Pepper spray with tear gas and UV dye. Is this a good option or should I get her something else?

2. Remove Ads

A taser maybe? My wife loves her XD9 subcompact though...

a GLOCK 26 is a nice (and very light/small to carry) sub-compact. and because it's so light it won't bother you after hours of it being on you. A Kel-Tec P3AT would also be a good choice in a handbag.

JD
    Administrator
    Bersa Thunder .380

Lead Moderator
    pepper spray works alot of the time. Taser if legal and size isn't too big. A gun obviously would be best, perhaps you can bring her round to carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

How bout a Stinger for her key chain?

I'd like to try one out myself and for my GF too, anyone know where they are sold online?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

well, sounds like the gun might be out if it'd be problematic for her job...
    taser would be helpful. a good knife probably takes a minimal degree of knowledge/skill to employ but is still a potent self defense tool. something else to think about.

A gun is obviously the prefered choice. If that's just not going to work, I'd recommend a knife and some training both with the knife, and in basic empty-hand self-defense. OC spray isn't bad but it doesn't work on everyone. I'm not personally a big fan of Tazers for self-defense purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    How bout a Stinger for her key chain?

I'd like to try one out myself and for my GF too, anyone know where they are sold online?

Ti.
    Stingers are a great little tool, if you want one you can get them from James Keating's website (he's the designer)
    Click where it says "Training Gear" http://www.jamesakeating.com/catalog1.html
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thoughts and links:

Hideaway Knife- excellent tool, low visiblity, easy to use. Trainer readily available. Base version is $69. FS is a great lady to talk to!
    www.hideawayknife.com

Top Popper- Pricey, but low profile, easily carried and used. Check with Paul Gomez to get on the list at :
    www.totalprotectioninteractive.com
    Pic of the Popper (and the Stylus & Lil' Loco) at:
    http://www.shivworks.com/hardware.asp

Inova Flashlight.

The Scholar Key Fob or BIG snap hook key rings from TODD1/Dissector, at Total Protection. These "improvised" impact items that will knock the crap out of someone, and pass "inspection". Register, and do a search under their names for pics and descriptions. They can do custom work, very reasonably, and they have devious, deceptive dreams that they excel in bringing to life!

Rotring 660 (IIRC) pens, or any other good, heavy, pen, carried in an accessible location.

If she has long hair:
    http://www.szaboinc.com/index1.html

The Hair Pins, about 1/2 way down. Again, not cheap, but that sums it up completely.

fm2
    Is a fixed blade knife an option? I'd recommend that over a folder.

A couple of days training here:
    http://www.fightingconcepts.com/pages/850982/index.htm

Spending money on quality training is always good. Awareness and mindset will go a long way in keeping you safe.

I'd stay away from a knife. How many people do you know that do know that don't want to carry a gun are going to be able to stab someone in a high stress situation? I'm always afraid with a female carrying a knife is if they hesitate even for a second they're going to be quickly disarmed for the most part and now the attacker has a knife and is pissed.

If someone is scum enough to attack a women do you think they're going to just back down like a lamb when threatened. Most guys egos are way to big for that.

I've seen parts of a guy brought in- he whipped up on the "ol' lady" one time too many. You have a point, but punch/stab is very instinctive, and kool was asking for firearm/OC addition alternatives, so I would have to assume she's willing to work on mind-set. You definitely don't "threaten" with a knife, any more than with a pistol.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I agree with the OC Spray but NOT teargas. The taser comes with major liability now days due to the deaths that have occured, it still is a functional device but for my non-gun family members I always provide them a new can of OC on their b'days.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

So far she feels comfortable with the pepper spray, but I really like all the suggestions here. I am thinking of buying a Stinger for some of my family members. The knives suggested may make my birthday list. :-)

Get this stuff [Click Here] and never look back. This stuff makes Fox labs seem tame. DPS is hotter than hell, and has very good range (the most important thing, imo)

Edit: Just to add. I also recommend that when she gets the DPS she should also get either the stinger, or Wild Kats & Dogz Keychains or a trusty kubaton (everybody should have one!)
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links