push knife legal in NC?

push knife legal in NC?

This is a discussion on push knife legal in NC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys, I have searched the site and have come up with nothing specific. Id like to know if I choose open carry a push ...

push knife legal in NC?

Alright guys, I have searched the site and have come up with nothing specific. Id like to know if I choose open carry a push KNIFE (notice I didn't say dagger, meaning single edged) what are the legal limits? I've read NC laws Knife Laws of the 50 States and D.C. and not being a lawyer, I very well may have missed something. I have received good and reliable info from here before so I thought id give it another shot. Thanks in advance

In the wording of state law for NC abt anything can be considered unlawwful other that a small pocketknife in the folded position something like a Barlow, penknife, small stockman. Any spring action knife is also unlawful for carry but you can own just not carry. I used to carry a Kershaw assist open that I got at bass pro shop in this state but if ur ever caught with it u could be charged with ccw even though u could hav a chl which does not cover anything other then a pistol. This charge could in fact show cause to loose ur chl permit if found guilty of the charge. I just carry a penknife or Barlow now due to the wording. I love knives and collect them. I also have several nice push knives but I no longer carry those off my property anymore either.

Senior Moderator
    Is this what you are calling a push knife...like this?

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HARD2KILL View Post
    Alright guys, I have searched the site and have come up with nothing specific. Id like to know if I choose open carry a push KNIFE (notice I didn't say dagger, meaning single edged) what are the legal limits? I've read NC laws Knife Laws of the 50 States and D.C. and not being a lawyer, I very well may have missed something. I have received good and reliable info from here before so I thought id give it another shot. Thanks in advance
    Daggars are almost always double-edged, not single-edged. A push knife generally falls into the dagger category in most states.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Push knives are illegal to carry almost everywhere. They are, to be fair, better at being weapons than anything else you'd use a knife for. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

I have a push knife just like hot guns but is single edged and only has a blade length of 3 inches. Since it does not close in the handle it is unlawful also. I also have one like hot guns has also made by cold steel and it is classified as a dagger due to sharp on both sides. I love both of them but can't carry them legally off my property on my person.

Senior Moderator
    No restriction on push knives here in Arkansas.
    Lots of people carry them in their boot.

It isclassed as a concealed weapon though.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    . Any spring action knife is also unlawful for carry but you can own just not carry.
    Do you have anything to back this up, or just your opinion?

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

snip

(d) This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.

Generally speaking, spring action means the spring does the entire job. Push button, blade opens. It's not the same as assisted, where you have to physically start opening the blade yourself. And most cities that have laws on knives state that a blade under 3" falls into the "ordinary pocket knife" category. Some cities don't even bother with a knife ordinance though. There is some case law that puts blade length around 2" IIRC. Most place are not that restrictive though.

As to the fixed blade knife, I recently talked my wife out of a small fixed blade. I would love to get her a last ditch or similar, but talked her into a folder to completely shy away from any concealed weapon issues. She found a Spyderco she loves, we're both happy.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Note that the law says, shall not carry concealed, meaning you may legally open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Daggars are almost always double-edged, not single-edged. A push knife generally falls into the dagger category in most states.
    I understand this, I should have been more clear. I am referring to a push knife that is single edged. I actually made it and don't have a picture right now. I not sure of the "technical term" for a single edged push knife but that's what I'm talking about.

It's slightly iffy

A pushknife could be considered a dagger but since you made it with only one edge it no longer fits that criteria.You could not carry it conceiled or on any education property and you would have to leave it outside at the request of a property owner.If it's not concelled and is in plain sight if a police officer says they did not see it then it's over for you mate and seeing as a push knife is so small it really would be hard to see and thus hard for you to say it was in plain site.It's different with things like swords because can an officer honestly say they did not see a scabbard on you're side?Oh and you can not actively use it exept for self defense or else it's considered brandishing.

Re: push knife legal in NC?

That is probably why in Arkansas you can buy almost anything, you just can't carry it for defensive purposes (honest officer, it's a six inch auto letter opener).

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Knife laws in NC have grey lines meaning it could go either way. Like the flopping of a mop. I stay away from grey lines the way my luck is.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links