concealable fixed blade? - Page 2

concealable fixed blade?

This is a discussion on concealable fixed blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 on the HAK You can get the bare-bones moldel in stock for $69.00 now www.hideawayknife.com...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1 on the HAK
    You can get the bare-bones moldel in stock for $69.00 now
    www.hideawayknife.com
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    +1 on the HAK
    You can get the bare-bones moldel in stock for $69.00 now
    www.hideawayknife.com

of course, the HAK. i don't believe i forgot about them, considering i own one (the utility model). an excellent, excellent choice for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    I like the TDI knife. You could get the live blade and the trainer within budget.
    +1. I carry the large version on my maxipack and am looking to get the ankle version later.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

The CRKT Ryan Plan B is a great little knife. The sheath however, is not quite as good.

New Member Array Halo is for Kids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    well thx for the idea i really like the sigtac and the BM, may have to make a trip to the knife store this week. If anyone else has any ideas, i forgot to mention I can't use a double edged or push dagger as i believe they are illegal in TX
    I am also in Texas, If you have a CCW it should cover the carry of a dagger as well.

I shared your concerns before I got a CHL and I found this buck knife with a legal carry length single edged blade. They have them at gander mountain for $20 - $30. Sturdy and cheap, although the sheath is nylon and not "tactical."

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/221/222

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/220/222

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I don't know if the following quote is current TX law, so check out the current version. Maybe the more recent TX ccw statute exempts ccw licensees from it.

Health, Safety & Morals - 46.02. Unlawful carrying
    weapons. (a) A person commits an offense if intentionally,
    knowingly , or recklessly carries on or about his person a
    handgun, illegal knife, or club. [Exceptions: official;
    actor was own premises; was traveling; engaged in lawful
    hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity; security
    guard].
    - 46.01. Definitions. (1) "Club"... includes... (D)
    Tomahawk...
    (6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by
    being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto,
    and poniard;
    (D) sword; or
    (E) spear.

well what defines a dagger?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    well what defines a dagger?
    Unfortunately, Texas statutes do not define "dagger" per se. So anything beyond the language of the following quoted statutes would be ultimately decided by case law and duelling lawyers. (I personally define dagger as a double-edged knife intended for stabbing; I can legally carry one in my state but would not enter Texas with it. Much simpler to stick with a single-edge folder I am sure is OK.)

Title 10 Chapter 46, paragraph 46.01 includes this definition:
    "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

Then paragraph 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

Here in Colorado, it's slightly different---blade length is the chief criterion. Carrying a "knife" is illegal. Then "knife" is defined as any kind of knife with blade over 3.5 inches in length (other types of prohibited knives are also listed, including the switchblade, balisong, et al, but dagger is not mentioned).

New Member Array Halo is for Kids's Avatar
    Everyone knows a Dagger is any knife that's only purpose is dagging.

Seriously though, a dagger is a knife that is designed for fighting / stabbing.

You are more likely to run into more trouble with the law when you are carrying a knife that looks like a "Dangerous Weapon." That's why I recommended the buck knife for daily carry. It looks more like a tool than a purpose built fighting blade. Plus you’ll spend less than $30. You could buy four of the buck knives for the price of some of the other knives suggested.

By the way, if anyone can legitimatize carrying a fighting fixed blade daily as opposed to a “tool” type knife please post.

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/220/222

Walmart sells a Kershaw folder called a Blur...tanto point and spring assist, too. All legal, unlike a double edge, push or blade longer than 5.5" knife. Fast and strong design.
    The wife got me a 156SBT Benchmade (fixed blade), but it's 6.05" and illegal to carry here. Sigh!
    p.s. Having a Texas CHL has no bearing on the carrying of knives.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Halo is for Kids View Post

By the way, if anyone can legitimatize carrying a fighting fixed blade daily as opposed to a “tool” type knife please post.
    A fixed-blade knife is far superior to a folder for SD purposes. With a fixed blade you've got faster, fumble-free deployment, you don't have to worry about opening it, and you don't have to worry about having it close on your fingers. If it's legal to do so, there's no real reason not to carry a fixed blade. Yeah, yeah, I know...they might give you a hard time. If you carve someone up with a knife you're going to be scrutinized closely regardless of whether it was a $5 spyderco knockoff, or a $400 Mercworx.

Personally, if I need to open a box I'll use the folder that I carry to fill the role of a utility knife. If I have to open...other things, I'll reach for one of my fixed blades.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I carry a fixed blade fighting"type" knife everyday.

Of course, everyone here knows that I or anyone else does NOT have to "legitimize" it. This is simply my opinion as to what I need,same as my firearm.

I will tell you this. I was taught by a very "street wise" and "battle wise" instructor that you should carry a fighting blade that you would pick if you were given a "invitation" to a knife fight. We all need to think about this long and hard.

For me, this is NOT a "box cutter" type little tiny blade, or the same blade that you use to core an apple,open your UPS package at work,or strip wire with.

I do not whip out my firearm to pry with,bang in a nail with,or to clean my fingernails with. I do not unholster to use the laser as a pointer during a lecture that I am giving.

My blade will be(is)carried and used in the same manner as my firearm. CONCEALED,and ready,if needed. As my firearm,most people don't have a clue that I even carry a blade. To me,this is the way it should be.

Each of us here has their own ideas of how they should be equipped to protect their lives and the lives of their families. There is no right and wrong. Only opinions. You have heard mine. ----------

Good post.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Excellent post, RSSZ, I really like the "invitation to a knife fight" point that you made.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Not saying it's the best, but I got it for around $30 on eBay and I'm happy with it.

Smith & Wesson Black Ops. Has auto-assist, a little "safety" to keep it from popping open if it tugs on anything. I really like it, conceals well, is just below 4". The only thing that I don't like about it is that I carry it while at work on the inside of my pants and my pants are black. As you can see, the clip is silver so if it moves below my belt line it could be seen. Rare, but something I have to keep in mind.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links