Florida OC of tactical 12" blade?

This is a discussion on Florida OC of tactical 12" blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to open carry a tactical knife in Florida that is 10-12" blade length? I have friends in 1% motorcycle clubs who always ...

Thread: Florida OC of tactical 12" blade?

Is it legal to open carry a tactical knife in Florida that is 10-12" blade length? I have friends in 1% motorcycle clubs who always are carrying bowie knives openly. Sorry if this has been asked 800 times. My first time here. I do have a concealed permit for my Glock 19.

VIP Member
    Ummm why would you want to? Just wondering.

Not bashing but 1%ers are probably not the best examples to use for what is legal or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Why would you need a 12" blade in the first place?

I say, what do the laws in Florida say about carrying a 12" knife? Have you looked up the laws? Try handgunlaw.us (they have a knife law section you can refer to)

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969
    Why would you need a 12" blade in the first place?
    Maybe its a matter of WANT versus NEED.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605
    Not bashing but 1%ers are probably not the best examples to use for what is legal or not.
    Agreed!
    Last edited by MattInFla; September 17th, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by bobagee View Post
    Is it legal to open carry a tactical knife in Florida that is 10-12" blade length? I have friends in 1% motorcycle clubs who always are carrying bowie knives openly. Sorry if this has been asked 800 times. My first time here. I do have a concealed permit for my Glock 19.
    The answer, alas, is a definite "maybe".

There is nothing I can find in the Florida statutes that forbids carrying a knife openly. However, there is Florida statute 790.10:

If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    The problem here is that the definition of exhibition is not clear (according to Jon Gutmacher, in his book Florida Firearms).

Context is going to become an issue, I suspect.

Carrying a 12" blade while hiking or camping? I suspect this would not be an issue.
    Carrying a 12" blade in the local shopping mall? I believe a case can be made that this is exhibition in a careless manner, especially since the law doesn't define "careless manner".

Whether this would end in a conviction is another matter, but as has been noted here before - "You might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

If you have a Florida CWFL, you could lawfully carry the knife concealed. Absent a CWFL, anything but an "ordinary pocketknife" is a concealed weapon.

The above is, of course, not legal advise.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

My partner routinely carries a Kabar fixed blade on her belt, not concealed since she is doing gardening work. She wears it to Lowes or gardening shops as a matter of course and has never been looked at funny or hassled. Of course she's a little 5'4 sweetie and is obviously in 'tomboy'/gardener mode, so it probably appears to be in a safe and acceptable context. It surely depends on where you are living. In rural areas, in places where there's a lot of hunting and fishing and stuff, it's acceptable. To do this in NYC - probably not. Many knife laws talk about 'concealed' as well. A large bowie with 12" blade in a proper sheath, worn when camping is probably OK. But the same knife worn by a gang banger looking dude vs law-abiding citizen type or female would get a different reaction.

Also there's a lot of discretion on the part of LE here. No cop is going to confiscate an open carried fixed blade from someone even in a State Park where people are getting firewood and camping and so forth, imo.

$.02
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.)

Interesting timing on the thread:

Movie-goers at a screening of a biker film at the Regal Winter Park Village 20 got a start Monday when police officers removed three members of a motorcycle club — reportedly the Warlocks — after someone reported that one of them was carrying a knife.

Machine Gun Preacher: Police remove bikers from movie after report of knife - OrlandoSentinel.com
    The knife in question was a K-Bar fighting knife, apparently.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have a question about the article.

If they are saying no crime was commited but then why were they asked to leave?

I agree 1%'s arent the best to determine what is legal or not legal. Also a blade longer then 12 inches might be out of neccesity depending on the vehicle they own.
    When I had my sportster a knife I carried had to be 4 inches minumum or 5.5 long because of a few bolts that were far under another part that would of had me taking the bike apart to get too. Now with what I ride a simple 3 1/2 is enough since Its mostly just a plastic bike.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question about the article.

If they are saying no crime was commited but then why were they asked to leave?

I agree 1%'s arent the best to determine what is legal or not legal. Also a blade longer then 12 inches might be out of neccesity depending on the vehicle they own.
    When I had my sportster a knife I carried had to be 4 inches minumum or 5.5 long because of a few bolts that were far under another part that would of had me taking the bike apart to get too. Now with what I ride a simple 3 1/2 is enough since Its mostly just a plastic bike.
    Private property laws. Citizen reports knife, knife = weapon, most theatres these days prohibit weapons. No law broken, just asked to leave. Maybe, at least in that county the OP would be legal....remember knife laws are not preempted.

No legal advice given, just opinion.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

As far as I know it's perfectly legal. I've seen it too many times to believe it's not. I even saw it at a JoAnn's Fabrics store one day. ( Wife was shopping, not me!)

Would I do it? No. I think it attracts too much attention. But that is probably why they do it in the first place.
    Question Everything!

Relevant Florida statutes for your perusal

Regulation of weapons and firearms is found in FS 790. You may want to read the whole lenghty section.

790.001(13) “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    (2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links