AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good?

This is a discussion on AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Junk... There is a reason why they are sold with candy bars and fuel injector cleaner on the counter at autozone....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good?

Administrator
    Junk... There is a reason why they are sold with candy bars and fuel injector cleaner on the counter at autozone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but somehow $9.95 and 'high-quality' just don't fit in the same sentence.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

RKM
    If you use a knife A LOT, I've found it's worth spending money on a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    And, a $13 knife is undoubtedly going to be a piece of crap, but you already knew that.
    Yes and no it also depends on the brand. Boker Magnum series has a real good brand and does good knives on the cheap. Ive had a Boker Magnum Bulldog (about 15 dollars) that has outlasted a few of the better brand of knives and several of the winchester knives I have bought from walmart (5-20) have done some jobs i wouldnt want to put my buck 110 through and survived. Of course mines arent just "SD" knives.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Kershaw Leek - great knife!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    go to gunbroker.com. they often have great deals on good knives. I got a new in the box Benchmade there a year or so ago for $35. Stick with quality it will stay sharp linger always work and after 1,000 open and closes still feel like the one you purchased.

benchmade.jpg
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post

And, a $13 knife is undoubtedly going to be a piece of crap, but you already knew that.
    can get a Swiss Army knife for $20....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    can get a Swiss Army knife for $20....
    Apples and oranges are often priced differently.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    S&W,Winchester,Remington...all are contract knives built in either China or Taiwan.
    Skip that crap and get a real knife.
    That's exactly right!

Those knives are not made by S&W are certainly not of their quality. Great box cutters, letter openers, and conversation starters but I woudn't trust my life with one. (Almost lost a finger to a cheap knife) I know I'm preaching to the chior put pay for a quality knife that you know you can rely on.

After going through numerous manufactorers I like the CRKT line. Their double locks are very secure and their craftsmanship is outstanding. My benchmade OTFs stay in the safe .
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

-Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I have a couple of the S&W knives and like them for what they are. They are inexpensive knives that I carry so I don't have to use one of my high quality SD knives for stuff like opening mail, boxes, etc...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i took my SW knife overseas to Asia. In my checked baggage of course, used that and a big maglite for self defense while roaming the streets. Felt secure with a cheap knife that i can use
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Kershaw Leek - great knife!

I got the Chive in pink for about 50 bucks. I absolutely love it. It's got an open-assist on the back so you can flip it open fast without broken thumbnails. It's perfect for opening boxes and lunch in the woods.

I love cheap knives and I'll admit it! I also love expensive knives. I wouldn't carry a $10 knife for self-defense, but on the same note I don't carry my $150 benchmade when grilling hotdogs at the beach. If the $10 S&W doesn't make it back home, you mourn for about 15 seconds and move on
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but somehow $9.95 and 'high-quality' just don't fit in the same sentence.
    I came across one a couple of years ago. Someone lost it, and I found it.
    It's partially serrated, and I thought it may be an expensive knife, so I looked it up and it sold for about $12.
    I've used it for two years and I love it. I'm not going to war, but I take it on trips and use it when I need a knife.

For $10, I'd buy another S&W in a heartbeat.

If you want a decent cheap knife get a Ozark Trail folder at Walmart. They are only $8. I purchased 2 for work and they have been great for light to medium cutting. They need to be resharpened fairly often, and do so quickly and easily. Although they will do in a pinch, they are not a knife I would choose to carry for self defense. Walmart also carries the Sog Trident now for $49. That is a great knife for self defense on a tight budget. I love mine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links