AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good?

This is a discussion on AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have CC'd for some time now and think I might like to have an option other than just my gun. I was in AutoZone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AutoZone carries S&W knives, are they any good?

I have CC'd for some time now and think I might like to have an option other than just my gun. I was in AutoZone the other day and saw they sell some defensive knives for like $13. Any good?

Link to their website Search: knives | Specialty Knife | AutoZone.com

They had all of the ones listed in the store.

Thoughts?

I don't know a lot about knives, but I would think for $13 bucks it's probably some made in China junk.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

depends on what ur use is for. If its for regular box cutting then its fine. the quality of steel will be in much priced higher models.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

You usually get what you pay for. If you want a reasonably priced quality "defensive" knife then look at kershaw, cold steel, and spyderco.

If you don't already carry oc, I would spend the money on that instead of a knife.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have had a few, they were junk, and didn't hold up very well, at all. Usually they were broken to th point they were unusable after just a couple months.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

They are decent knives. I believe "Taylor Brands" is the manufacture and they are all 1095c steel. At least I think, I'm not 100% sure. I own 2 and I like them. Keeping the expectations realistic for a $13 knife they are a bargain.

EDIT: Looking through their catalog it appears they use 4034 steel, not 1095c on the bulk of their knives. I still say they are Good "Cheap" knives.

I personally have had some and I think they are junk as well. but I use my knives for more then cutting paper.

I would go with a winchester knife over a S&W knife. I see they have kershaw at autozone also but 44 dollars i would buy the skyline but goto walmart since there they have it for 30 (14 dollar difference)

I will take the sheffield (10 dollar knife at autozone) over the 13 dollar S&W one.

found this looking for a cheap knife
    http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01...ctical-folding

14 dollars
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    In clicking through the link they had a couple of Kershaws on there...those are probably decent. Remember, you get what you pay for!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

S&W,Winchester,Remington...all are contract knives built in either China or Taiwan.
    Skip that crap and get a real knife.
    JD and DefConGun like this.

I'd spend the money on a good knife, if it's for SD. I might get one of the S&W just because I like the name brand (both my CC's are S&W) but would not carry a $13 knife to potentially defend my life. Nor would I carry one without proper training, but that's another story.

I carry a Spyderco Delica Wave, about $120 if I remember correctly. The wave allows me to do a weak side, true one-handed open, not spring-assisted at all, in the proper icepick grip with edge outward, and it's FAST.

"The carry system is addressed via a 4-way clip (accessed via allen wrench) allowing for ambidextrous operations. For quick-draw applications I reversed the clip so the "wave" would be activated by the front side of my pocket, therefore I am opening the knife in reverse grip, with the blade facing outward. It's a much firmer and faster draw this way, drawing straight up instead of pulling your arm back. Whenever I drew the knife in front of someone they never realized it was already open just inches away from them." Spyderco Delica Wave - Realfighting Organization

I've been training/teaching martial arts for over 25 years; I have a special love for edged weapons (in addition to firearms). I did a LOT of research before settling on this blade, but my needs might be different than yours of course. The main thing is, get a good blade, get a similarly-configured TRAINING blade (Spydreco makes one just like the Delica Wave, about $80), and TRAIN with it just as you should be training with your firearms. Save your pennies.

Oh and make time for empty-hand training as well, enough time to get proficient at it; since you might find yourself without all the fancy hardware some day yet still needing to ruin a BG's day.

reviewSpyderco.jpg
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Nor would I carry one without proper training, but that's another story.
    Thanks for all responses. I have trained in martial arts and with edged weapons so that is not a problem.

I always buy mid-grade. Whether it's tools, parts, equipment, guns... whatever. I carry Ruger, Glock, S&W guns. I carry a Kershaw Blur Tanto knife ($50 at Walmart).

Once you get out of the cheapo category the difference in quality from the good mid-range products to the "high-end" stuff is usually insignificant. You end up paying a lot of money for bells and whistles or brand recognition. My guns go bang every time, so why would I pay hundreds more for a Kimber or a Sig Sauer? Paying over $100 for a pocket knife is silly in my opinion.

And, a $13 knife is undoubtedly going to be a piece of crap, but you already knew that.
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 18th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post

And, a $13 knife is undoubtedly going to be a piece of crap, but you already knew that.
    Actually, I am not to proud to admit that I didn't. I know nothing about knifes. We always trained with plastic ones and I never bothered to look at buying anything for SD. I appreciate everyone's feedback!
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 18th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links