Colorado Knife Laws

This is a discussion on Colorado Knife Laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was hoping someone would be able to help me clear up the confusion I have acquired while attempting to know the laws concerning ...

Thread: Colorado Knife Laws

Colorado Knife Laws

So I was hoping someone would be able to help me clear up the confusion I have acquired while attempting to know the laws concerning knives in Colorado. I am not quite old enough to own or carry a firearm and am a firm believer in self-defense capability, knives are the next alternative but I want to stay on the right side of the law of course.

Ultimately, what I'm asking is what are the laws in Colorado, Colorado Springs area, for
    • Carrying Concealed Knives (length and conditions of concealment)
    • Openly carrying a knife (length and conditions that set apart from concealment)
    • Owning knives in general (again, length, mechanism, and such)

An answer to one, or all, of these would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. I had a similar question regarding my state. Google is your friend here and searching for state knife laws or even Colorado knife laws should give you plenty of hits. To get your started, try this link: KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

My legalese is not great, but it looks like your standard folder at 3.5" or less in blade length is OK. Does carrying in your pocket with the clip and top of the handles sticking up count as 'concealed'?
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Wulphmahn, check your mailbox for a PM.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    One thing I'm curious about is whether knives like this one are illegal under CRS.

C.R.S. 18-12-101 (2011)
    (e) "Gravity knife" means any knife that has a blade released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force.
    (f) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative defense.
    (j) "Switchblade knife" means any knife, the blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle.
    I understand all opinions are just that and do not represent legal counsel. I just want to get a feel for what others know before looking to get a knife that I cannot legally carry around with me. Thanks!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

According to the blurb at Blade HQ " Just a small nudge of the flipper or thumbstud opens the knife. ".

This is distinct from the switchblade which "opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle".

"Spring Assisted" knives are common and generally not considered automatic-knives.

However, the one thing not clear in the descriptions are the blade length. If it's over 3.5" (and that looks possible, given the other measurements), do not concealed....

IMHO 8)

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think the blade length is 3.25" from this:
    Length 7.75" open, 4.5" closed.
    So it looks like since a knife like the one I linked to isn't a "gravity knife" or "switch blade" as defined in the CRS (since it opens by a thumb stud attached to the blade rather than by pressing a button on the handle, and isn't opened by gravity or inertia by itself) and the blade length is 3.5" inches or shorter, so it should be legal.

Curious if any others from CO have a knife with similar mechanics?
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have a benchmade barrage 3.6 inches that I carry. No problems. It really only measures 3.5 inches to the thumb stud. I also have a Zero Tolerance assisted opener that is stated at 3.75 but measures point to stud at 3.5. I hate the way manufacters list longer than the real lenght. I use the AKTI definition of length. I was told by a cop they will just lay it across their palm and guess on the spot and give you benefit of the doubt. I have only had one knife measured and that was by an USAF SP as I left the secure area. It was a folding Case XX Shark Tooth. He returned it because it was just under 3.5.

Links