Defensive Carry banner

Lifestyle Change, Advice Needed

6K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  redhawk44357 
#1 ·
I came from the Dr. today only to be informed that I'm now both diabetic and have high blood pressure. This means a lifestyle change for me that included walking or riding my bike early in the morning (my day is full after that). Since I live in Illinois, I can't carry my glock on my for self defense and am now considering a good self-defense knife. In keeping the laws in Illinois I have to have something with a blade of 4" or less. I'm considering a fixed blade (thinking faster deployment). My budget is around $100 and I am looking for experience from those who own and are familiar with knives. I'm a regular guy, so I probably don't need something designed for a member of a SEAL time (unless it is in my price range). I look forward to hearing from your more experienced members.

#2 ·
This is just for my own curiousity, but is there a reason that you'd prefer a knife over something with a little more range like OC spray? The knife is an extremely close range weapon.

#3 ·
Thought about OC spray, but when I walk or ride I won't really have keys or anything with me and a good knife could be concealed in my wasteband. I don't mine getting upclose and personal if I need to. I usually avoid trouble, but if I can't avoid someone trying to do me harm, then I'll put in work.

#5 ·
Perhaps you could come up with a way to carry one of each? Speaking for myself, I've aged beyond the point of being confident of besting a young, aggressive attacker in hand to hand combat, hence my attraction to weapons that allow me a certain degree of "stand-off".

I would think mounting some OC on your bicycle in some kind of quick release would be relatively easy and inconspicuous, the walking scenario may require a little more thought but still seems quite doable.

Good luck with whatever you decide and may you never have to use your choice in anger.

#6 ·
If you want a real lifestyle change...move out of IL.
If you can't move, take OC spray with you on the bike.OMO

#8 ·
Sorry to hear about your condition. I carry a .380 when riding a bicycle. Occasionally my shirt rides up over it and traffic gives me a REALLY WIDE BIRTH. Then I pull the shirt back down.:smile: Stay safe and unless you're willing to do extensive knife training, I'd get some spray if you're not going to pack.

Jim

And to answer your question, the "assist" Kershaw's are awesome knives. I carry one and it's as quick as a switchblade and much better made. (IN USA!!!)

#9 ·
I'm a regular guy, so I probably don't need something designed for a member of a SEAL team (unless it is in my price range). I look forward to hearing from your more experienced members.
Take this for what it's worth, but since you're just a "regular guy", I'm assuming you have likely been in zero fights with any real bad guys out on the street, and absolutely no experience using a knife as a defensive or offensive weapon. And that can get you fileted like a carp.

I'm sure you're going to go out and get your knife. And I'm sure with a busy life, as well as your stage in life, you'll likely not get any real training in how to use a knife defensively. So, just be forewarned, don't assume your knife is going to do anything but get you sliced up and gutted on the streets.

You could get lucky, but the odds are better than even you'll likely get really hurt.

A better choice, (and that is assuming you're going to get the knife anyway), is to get a decent pepper spray and try employing that prior to using the knife. Even if the pepper spray doesn't have the desired effect on your assailant, it will almost certainly have some effect at distraction and possibly impairing their vision. That will give you a better chance of being successful with the blade than you would stand if just going for the knife first and possibly getting it shoved up your... well, lets just say "(Bloody) Popsicle" comes to mind.

#10 ·
That is actually a very good idea.

#11 ·
I agree with the thoughts on here that having multiple ways of defending yourself is a good idea. I would suggest some OC spray and, if you can in IL, a taser. Having some range is a far better idea than getting in a knife fight! And OC and non-lethal defense is always preferable to carving someone up.

For a defensive knife, I would recommend something like a Ka-Bar TDI. Simple and easy to deploy.

#12 ·
OC would also be better if you had to defend yourself from a dog. The Asp Key or Palm Defender (for OC spray) goes perfectly in a waistband, but a bike's handlebars would be a perfect platform for a carrying case with a nice big spray can in it.

As for a knife, if you don't know how to use it and your attacker has any hand-to-hand skills at all, it could be taken away from you very easily and used on you. There are lots of people who train specifically to do takeaways like this, and they can be very effective.

An instructor once told me that, even if you do know how to use one, a knife should always be a surprise to your attacker. (Kind of like how a gun should only come out when you would be justified in pulling the trigger—never as a mere threat beforehand.) Not endorsing, just quoting his words: "they shouldn't realize you have a knife until they see it sticking out of their ribs." (And, to state the obvious, that can only happen in response to your belief that you are in a true fight for your life.)

#13 ·
Here's a suggestion for you. Keeping in mind of course that I don't know you.

You say you need some exercise on a regular basis. You think you want to carry a knife as a defensive weapon.

Consider taking yourself to a martial arts academy. If necessary, spend some bucks and take one on one private lessons. You'll get some exercise, you'll gain flexibility and agility, and if you select your academy and instructor well you may learn how to retain your knife, how to use it, as well as some other defensive moves.

Now, I don't know your general health, but simply being diabetic and having high blood pressure should not preclude you from getting some training. Both can be well controlled. If you decide to do this, clear it with your doc of course.

You can perhaps find a trainer/ MA instructor somewhere who can work with you as you are now, and not as you were when you were 19.

I'm 68. I've gone to Krav lessons wearing a heart monitor to make sure that my level of activity was OK in the real world --not a stress test world. I have hypertension and kidney disease as well and other health problems too. Most older folks have these problems. Not only that, but I was never physically active until after I turned 60. I swallow 10 to 14 pills a day, depending. I know I am lucky, but these things have not stopped me, yet. The point, my idea isn't an absurd one. Give it some consideration.

I know not everyone can do the MA stuff, but consider it. Someone can tailor self defense lessons plus an exercise program to your needs.

#14 ·
As others have said, a $500,000 car doesn't make you a race car driver and a high dollar knife doesn't make you a knife fighter. Find a reputable force on force instructor and use the knife money for a starter lesson. You may find that a knife isn't going to be the best first choice. Maybe as also mentioned above you will find that OC spray may be the ticket or even a small impact weapon, but a knife literally cuts both ways if you are not at least minimally trained.

#15 ·
I am put in mind of a tale told to me by a friend who worked as a bouncer in a bar in Atlanta. One night there was a fight out in the parking lot and they went to check it out until the police arrived. There were 3 very large individuals wailing away on one skinny little short guy who seemed to me punching his attackers in a limp wristed manner.

Slowly each of the bigger guys staggered off and collapsed.

It seems that their intended victim had a Buck knife with a 4" blade that he was poking them with and they didn't realize it until blood loss caused them to collapse.

The "victim" did suffer a very bad beating but was treated and released from the hospital.

What you have to ask yourself is this, can you stand there and cut on your attackers while absorbing punishment as any attack you may be subject to will likely look a lot like this incident

#16 ·
Another thought for the OP, a knife just as a gun, is a lethal weapon. Its deployment requires severe justification and genuine threat to yourself; same as with a gun. It is the least good option and one likely to have one of the worst legal outcomes possible if actually displayed or used.

Almost any other form of reaction, including running like crazy and screaming like a teenage girl, will have fewer risks associated with its use.

#17 ·
I agree, in your mind using a knife to defend yourself may not sound so bad. But in reality, its hard, messy and you will probably be hurt as well. Because if you can physically touch them, they can touch you back. The best choice if the law allows it is some sort of spray or a good taser. Any distance between you and trouble is a good thing.

#18 ·
you can always get yourself a neck knife

40 dollars here
Cold Steel Mini Tac Tanto Neck Knife 3-3/4" Blade, G10 Handles - Knifecenter.com
Specifications
Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Overall Length: 6 3/4"
Steel: Japanese AUS 8A Stainless
Weight: 2.9 oz
Handle: 3 3/4" Long G-10
Thick: 2.5 mm
Sheath: Secure-Ex Neck Sheath
Made in Taiwan

and be sure to get a good folding knife as well. im actually looking to buy another kabar mule with the g10 scales (the original is HUGE)

25 dollars
KA-BAR MULE Heavy-Duty 5-3/8" Tanto Combo Blade, G10 Handles - Knifecenter.com
Specifications
Blade Length: 5-3/8"
Overall Length: 9-3/8"
Closed Length: 4"
Blade Shape: Tanto
Edge Angle: 15 degrees
Steel: 3CR13 SS
Lock Style: Lockback
Grind: Hollow
Handle Material: Black G10
Weight: 0.55 lbs.
Made in China

#29 ·
But remember, if your state's CCW doesn't cover a fixed blade knife, and if your state doesn't have a preemptive law about knives, every little pissant jurisdiction you pass through might conceivably have a law against carrying one. Even at the state level, where I live, there is one part of the law where the TDI seems to pass muster on length, but then another part where they say something like "oh and anything that can cut people." At least with a folder, one can claim "this isn't a weapon, it's a tool," but that's a lot harder to say about something like the TDI, given how it's marketed.

#24 ·
This is my favorite knife. I bought it sometime in the mid '80s.

View attachment 53485 View attachment 53486 View attachment 53487

A similar version is still available

bear and son sos knife
this is real cool i gotta get me one :D

Question

Why not just carry a ball peen hammer someone gets in arms reach of you on your bike its a pain to pull out a clipped blade or fixed blade. you can also say you were doing "Body work on the move" lol (Please done take this serious lol)

Granted I did carry a ball peen hammer but my hd always needed to be tapped to get it running. lol

#21 ·
ESEE Izula II

Specifications
O.A Length: 6.75"
Blade Length (end of handle to tip): 2.88"
Cutting Edge Length: 2 5/8"
O.A. Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Maximum Thickness: 0.156"
Blade Steel: 1095 Steel - 57 Rc.
Blade Width: 1.0"
Grind: Flat
Handles: Canvas Micarta
Sheathing: Injection Molded, Black
Pommel: 0.550" Diameter Hole To Accommodate Carabiner
Spine: Thumb Grippers
Finish: Textured Powder Coat
Colors: Black Only At This Time
Serial Number On Blade
Made in USA

Attachments

#22 ·
Forget the knife unless you just "want one" cause it's kinda neat. If you want a knife get a folding knife with a clip. Previous posts are correct. Unless you really know what you are doing, it's more likely that someone will take your knife away from you then use it on you. Alternative: get a small piece of velcro and glue one side to an OC spray container, and the other (mating side) to your bike frame, somewhere within easy reach.

#25 ·
I agree that pepper spray is the best first line of defense. Experiance or not, I am willing to take my chances defending myself with a blade. If I was walking, jogging (sweating) I would definatly choose my Cold Steel Delta Dart, plastic spike with plastic sheath. It is 8 " long, strong but light, easy to conceal and won't rust from sweat. I also agree that your assaillant should not know that you have a blade until they see it sticking in their upper chest or throat.
If you really want to carry a knife during exercise get the Spyderco Pacific Salt it is very light, 3.75" blade, and H1 blade metal/titanium hardware is also rust-proof: $55-65.

#27 ·
#30 ·
Pepper spray when you ride and a stout walking stick or cane when you walk. I prefer a walking stick that has some adjustment or is a bit longer than a cane. If nothing else, it's pretty intimidating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.