Lifestyle Change, Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Lifestyle Change, Advice Needed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came from the Dr. today only to be informed that I'm now both diabetic and have high blood pressure. This means a lifestyle change ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lifestyle Change, Advice Needed

Lifestyle Change, Advice Needed

I came from the Dr. today only to be informed that I'm now both diabetic and have high blood pressure. This means a lifestyle change for me that included walking or riding my bike early in the morning (my day is full after that). Since I live in Illinois, I can't carry my glock on my for self defense and am now considering a good self-defense knife. In keeping the laws in Illinois I have to have something with a blade of 4" or less. I'm considering a fixed blade (thinking faster deployment). My budget is around $100 and I am looking for experience from those who own and are familiar with knives. I'm a regular guy, so I probably don't need something designed for a member of a SEAL time (unless it is in my price range). I look forward to hearing from your more experienced members.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

2. Remove Ads

This is just for my own curiousity, but is there a reason that you'd prefer a knife over something with a little more range like OC spray? The knife is an extremely close range weapon.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Thought about OC spray, but when I walk or ride I won't really have keys or anything with me and a good knife could be concealed in my wasteband. I don't mine getting upclose and personal if I need to. I usually avoid trouble, but if I can't avoid someone trying to do me harm, then I'll put in work.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

nothing "defensive" about a knife...look at "mace" or similar products..Ruger/Smith both make good one's (spry 15-20') many very small (keychain)

Perhaps you could come up with a way to carry one of each? Speaking for myself, I've aged beyond the point of being confident of besting a young, aggressive attacker in hand to hand combat, hence my attraction to weapons that allow me a certain degree of "stand-off".

I would think mounting some OC on your bicycle in some kind of quick release would be relatively easy and inconspicuous, the walking scenario may require a little more thought but still seems quite doable.

Good luck with whatever you decide and may you never have to use your choice in anger.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

If you want a real lifestyle change...move out of IL.
    If you can't move, take OC spray with you on the bike.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Thought about OC spray, but when I walk or ride I won't really have keys or anything with me and a good knife could be concealed in my wasteband. I don't mine getting upclose and personal if I need to. I usually avoid trouble, but if I can't avoid someone trying to do me harm, then I'll put in work.
    I have a Sabre model that has a clip on it that could onto a belt or shorts/sweatpants waistband.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Sorry to hear about your condition. I carry a .380 when riding a bicycle. Occasionally my shirt rides up over it and traffic gives me a REALLY WIDE BIRTH. Then I pull the shirt back down. Stay safe and unless you're willing to do extensive knife training, I'd get some spray if you're not going to pack.

Jim

And to answer your question, the "assist" Kershaw's are awesome knives. I carry one and it's as quick as a switchblade and much better made. (IN USA!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I'm a regular guy, so I probably don't need something designed for a member of a SEAL team (unless it is in my price range). I look forward to hearing from your more experienced members.
    Take this for what it's worth, but since you're just a "regular guy", I'm assuming you have likely been in zero fights with any real bad guys out on the street, and absolutely no experience using a knife as a defensive or offensive weapon. And that can get you fileted like a carp.

I'm sure you're going to go out and get your knife. And I'm sure with a busy life, as well as your stage in life, you'll likely not get any real training in how to use a knife defensively. So, just be forewarned, don't assume your knife is going to do anything but get you sliced up and gutted on the streets.

You could get lucky, but the odds are better than even you'll likely get really hurt.

A better choice, (and that is assuming you're going to get the knife anyway), is to get a decent pepper spray and try employing that prior to using the knife. Even if the pepper spray doesn't have the desired effect on your assailant, it will almost certainly have some effect at distraction and possibly impairing their vision. That will give you a better chance of being successful with the blade than you would stand if just going for the knife first and possibly getting it shoved up your... well, lets just say "(Bloody) Popsicle" comes to mind.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Take this for what it's worth, but since you're just a "regular guy", I'm assuming you have likely been in zero fights with any real bad guys out on the street, and absolutely no experience using a knife as a defensive or offensive weapon. And that can get you fileted like a carp.

I'm sure you're going to go out and get your knife. And I'm sure with a busy life, as well as your stage in life, you'll likely not get any real training in how to use a knife defensively. So, just be forewarned, don't assume your knife is going to do anything but get you sliced up and gutted on the streets.

You could get lucky, but the odds are better than even you'll likely get really hurt.

A better choice, (and that is assuming you're going to get the knife anyway), is to get a decent pepper spray and try employing that prior to using the knife. Even if the pepper spray doesn't have the desired effect on your assailant, it will almost certainly have some effect at distraction and possibly impairing their vision. That will give you a better chance of being successful with the blade than you would stand if just going for the knife first and possibly getting it shoved up your... well, lets just say "(Bloody) Popsicle" comes to mind.
    That is actually a very good idea.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I agree with the thoughts on here that having multiple ways of defending yourself is a good idea. I would suggest some OC spray and, if you can in IL, a taser. Having some range is a far better idea than getting in a knife fight! And OC and non-lethal defense is always preferable to carving someone up.

For a defensive knife, I would recommend something like a Ka-Bar TDI. Simple and easy to deploy.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OC would also be better if you had to defend yourself from a dog. The Asp Key or Palm Defender (for OC spray) goes perfectly in a waistband, but a bike's handlebars would be a perfect platform for a carrying case with a nice big spray can in it.

As for a knife, if you don't know how to use it and your attacker has any hand-to-hand skills at all, it could be taken away from you very easily and used on you. There are lots of people who train specifically to do takeaways like this, and they can be very effective.

An instructor once told me that, even if you do know how to use one, a knife should always be a surprise to your attacker. (Kind of like how a gun should only come out when you would be justified in pulling the trigger—never as a mere threat beforehand.) Not endorsing, just quoting his words: "they shouldn't realize you have a knife until they see it sticking out of their ribs." (And, to state the obvious, that can only happen in response to your belief that you are in a true fight for your life.)

VIP Member
    Here's a suggestion for you. Keeping in mind of course that I don't know you.

You say you need some exercise on a regular basis. You think you want to carry a knife as a defensive weapon.

Consider taking yourself to a martial arts academy. If necessary, spend some bucks and take one on one private lessons. You'll get some exercise, you'll gain flexibility and agility, and if you select your academy and instructor well you may learn how to retain your knife, how to use it, as well as some other defensive moves.

Now, I don't know your general health, but simply being diabetic and having high blood pressure should not preclude you from getting some training. Both can be well controlled. If you decide to do this, clear it with your doc of course.

You can perhaps find a trainer/ MA instructor somewhere who can work with you as you are now, and not as you were when you were 19.

I'm 68. I've gone to Krav lessons wearing a heart monitor to make sure that my level of activity was OK in the real world --not a stress test world. I have hypertension and kidney disease as well and other health problems too. Most older folks have these problems. Not only that, but I was never physically active until after I turned 60. I swallow 10 to 14 pills a day, depending. I know I am lucky, but these things have not stopped me, yet. The point, my idea isn't an absurd one. Give it some consideration.

I know not everyone can do the MA stuff, but consider it. Someone can tailor self defense lessons plus an exercise program to your needs.
    Ishmael, Bark'n and Tzadik like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

As others have said, a $500,000 car doesn't make you a race car driver and a high dollar knife doesn't make you a knife fighter. Find a reputable force on force instructor and use the knife money for a starter lesson. You may find that a knife isn't going to be the best first choice. Maybe as also mentioned above you will find that OC spray may be the ticket or even a small impact weapon, but a knife literally cuts both ways if you are not at least minimally trained.

I am put in mind of a tale told to me by a friend who worked as a bouncer in a bar in Atlanta. One night there was a fight out in the parking lot and they went to check it out until the police arrived. There were 3 very large individuals wailing away on one skinny little short guy who seemed to me punching his attackers in a limp wristed manner.

Slowly each of the bigger guys staggered off and collapsed.

It seems that their intended victim had a Buck knife with a 4" blade that he was poking them with and they didn't realize it until blood loss caused them to collapse.

The "victim" did suffer a very bad beating but was treated and released from the hospital.

What you have to ask yourself is this, can you stand there and cut on your attackers while absorbing punishment as any attack you may be subject to will likely look a lot like this incident

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links