Cold Steel Triple-Action in action

This is a discussion on Cold Steel Triple-Action in action within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it\'s not the most practical of all knives and not legal to carry everywhere, it\'s still a fun blade to wow friends or to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Triple-Action in action

VIP Member

Cold Steel Triple-Action in action

While it\'s not the most practical of all knives and not legal to carry everywhere, it\'s still a fun blade to wow friends or to use as an impact weapon.

> > > 1.4Mb .MOV file

2. Remove Ads

Rickman
    Interesting knife, even if on the impractical side. Reminds me of the flick of the wrist required to get a butterfly knofe open. I never could master those. I borrowed one from a friend to see if I could get the movement down correctly and I eventually did. But when I put it down for awhile and went back it took a couple of tries to get the wrist action correct again. I finally decided I should probably stick to a simple folder but it looks like you have it down pretty well.

It looks cool. Do you think that you could open it in an awkward stance, position, or while moving? Could you access it while being bear-hugged? From the video clip, it looks like you might be able to, but I couldn\'t tell for sure.

I think that the laws in Texas (and some other states) would call it a \"dagger\" due to the double edge design. The double-edge design can really give you some neat (hooking and ripping)options when the fight gets into grappling and scuffling range.

Chuck

The triple action is a an interesting knife, and I practice with it on occasion ( I\'m a dealer for Cold Steel:)). It does indeed have a certain \"cool \" factor when opening and closing. Would agree with Betty though in that it is not the most practical knife to carry for defense. (There is a single edge version that may be slightly safer to open as well.)

As a side note, in my school we do adrenaline stress scenarios and have utilized different knives in quick charge situations. The ones that we have seen drawn quickly enough tend to be the fixed blades carried in compression or open sheaths. (I carry a fixed blade in a modified compression sheath on my belt upside down for a fast down draw into a reverse grip.)

But the TA Tanto stil looks prettty darn cool if you get the hang of the open:P

VIP Member
    It looks cool. Do you think that you could open it in an awkward stance, position, or while moving? Could you access it while being bear-hugged? From the video clip, it looks like you might be able to, but I couldn\'t tell for sure.
    I don\'t know, but it really doesn\'t matter to me, since I don\'t carry the thing. I carry my knives in the 1-2 o\'clock position clipped to my waistband, and I have been able to access them in a bear hug, although it was incredibly awkward, fumbling and slow. In real life, all the flailing about would make it a lot harder. It was part of a training scenario where a 6'260 lb. guy put me in the hug. I was able to access my ankle gun and shoot him in the thigh (not for real, of course).

Oh wow, i\'m so glad you posted a video of that. I\'ve been wondering about this odd looking knife for the longest time, but i could never figure out how it worked from just the website.

That being said, would this knife be classified the same as a butterfly knife? I think i would much rather havea butterfly knife then this because they are just sexy :)

Oh my lord I can feel the stiches going in my hand now. Totally cool. :kay:

DC Founder
    Originally posted by nighthawk
    Oh my lord I can feel the stiches going in my hand now. Totally cool. :kay:
    Don\'t ask for time off at work when you cut your hand off, nighthawk. It ain\'t happenin':P

VIP Member
    That being said, would this knife be classified the same as a butterfly knife?
    When I first bought that knife, the opening was very stiff, and the blade is held by a rivet instead of a screw I could loosen. I gently tapped out inside the handle so it would open more freely, so yes, it would be considered a gravity knife. It\'s got a thumb stud, but I doubt that would fool anybody.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jacob Lee
    The triple action is a an interesting knife, and I practice with it on occasion ( I\'m a dealer for Cold Steel:)). It does indeed have a certain \"cool \" factor when opening and closing. Would agree with Betty though in that it is not the most practical knife to carry for defense. (There is a single edge version that may be slightly safer to open as well.)
    A cold steel dealer? Do you give discounts to defensivecarry.com members? That would be nice as they are the only knives i buy. I have a peacekeeper II, Pro Lite Tanto and kobun. I was looking for a smaller fixed blade for retention.

Sure, I'd be willing to do that. The only thing I'm not sure of is the shipping to various places, but let me know. I really enjoy this forum and the people here seem very genuine and friendly.

Also, need to check with Bumper to make sure It's not against the rules though. Not sure exactly how that works, so I apologize in advance if it's taboo Bumper.:)

MMmmmm...discounts

Nicely done Betty, watching the video sure makes me want to get a Triple action and give it a try. I\'m sure you are making it look easy.
    Seems that you had to do a bit of work on the T/A to get it to work so smooth.

I carry a Spyderco Endura (4")...if I hook my middle finger on the pocket clip, depress the tang mounted lock I can open and then close the blade with a flick of the wrist faster than you can open a butterfly. Most cops will recognize one of these for what it is, my Spyderco is just a lock back with a thumb hole in the blade. And I use the Spyderco Tri-Hone to keep it scalpel sharp.

Lead Moderator
    my GF has a S&W tactical with a hook on the back of the blade near the grip. She catches the hook on her pocket edge and can open it faster than anything else I've seen. My assisted opener is faster than a switchblade and I think faster than a butterfly knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links