Assisted open knives - Page 2

Assisted open knives

This is a discussion on Assisted open knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Trident. They sell them at Walmart now for $49 (serrated). I think it would probably be best for light-medium cutting. I personally ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Assisted open knives

I have a Trident. They sell them at Walmart now for $49 (serrated). I think it would probably be best for light-medium cutting. I personally carry it for self defense only. I like the deep clip and light weight. The cutter is only for paracord type cutting.
    The Kershaw Blur ($55-60)is pretty light and a very rugged knife if you are concerned about safety. I would get plain edge if you are going to make it a user. The cold steel voyagers ($50) are also, light, rugged and within the same (less)price range. The Tenacious($30)is extremly popular among value folder buyers. My Rat 1 folder ($30) is heftier, but extremely rugged.
    If you limit yourself to assisted openers you will be missing out on a lot of great folders.
    I don't buy Gerbers.

I like the Kershaw Leek myself. Have the 1660ST (serrated) speedsafe assisted opener. The slimmest of all the assited openers I looked at (at Smoky Mountain Knifeworks in the store).

I do worry about the point on it... as a drop blade, it has the sharpest (pointiest?) point of any drop blade knife I've looked at.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm happy with my SOG Twitch XL. I'm a lefty and the reversible pocket clip was a must. It sits deep in the pocket, which was another requirement of mine. I didn't want any portion of the handle above my pocket line. Opens lightening fast with thumb stud or kicker.

I am pretty impressed with the strength and cutting ability of my Kershaw Junk Yard Dog and large Gryptilian.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My Kershaw Oso Sweet has been incredible.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by jign4bass View Post
    Emerson Mini Commander here. Great knife and awesome assisted open with the wave feature.
    My carry as well. Outside a fixed blade - nothing faster than the wave.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have the SOG Aegis and SOG Blink. I would not hesitate to have another SOG. To me, the Aegis is an absolute winner in its category.

I had an opportunity to mess around with a good portion of the knives mentioned here over the weekend at the local machine gun shoot. Looks like a draw between SOG and Kershaw. Both had likes and dislikes. I've been wanting another SOG (I have a fixed blade) for a while now. I may go with Kershaw though. Hmmm.....decisions, decisions.....

Look at Zero Tolerance. Their knives are built like tanks and several are assisted opening.

Yep. I love my ZT301. Great knife.

rox
    Emerson CQC-7 wave. This knife opens faster than any other folder I've seen including the automatics.
    NRA Benefactor Life

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have a SOG Vulcan & can't praise it enough, However:always move the pocket clip so the blade side rests against the inside of your pocket! That's with any folding knife not just the SOG. If one gives the blade room to open in ones pocket...it will.

I know its happed to me No Fun!

of the knives I have experience with, I prefer Kershaw or Benchmade. Very well built and both companies offer selections that can cater to your planned usage.

Kershaw makes the Leek and the Blur (my two favorites) both are "torsion" assist. The leek is smaller and better for light duty cutting tasks. The Blur is larger, carries well and better for medium duty tasks. Both models come in a wide range of features, colors, blade shapes, blade steel etc...

Benchmade make the Griptillian, probably one of their most popular folders. I dont think it is assisted open. I currently have a 950 rift. Very sturdy blade, very well made and very good steel. I have abused this knife and it still works perfectly.

Zero Tolerance knives are part of the Kershaw family and are built like TANKS! Thick liner locks, machined parts for a precise fit and finish. They work well and Kershaw really backs their product up with excellent warranty and customer service. I have yet to ADD a ZT knife to my collection but when I do, it will be the ZT 0550.

The ZT301 is a BIG knife!. When it opens it sounds like someone racking a shotgun. But I like a big knife.

I have a few Kershaws with speed assist and the liner lock....they will hold up just fine and are very light carry. No need to worry abt these opening in ur pocket. Just check ur local laws on blade length and carry laws for bladed weapons. A lot of states don't recognize knives with pistol permits...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links