Assisted open knives - Page 3

Assisted open knives

This is a discussion on Assisted open knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bwaltman Look at Zero Tolerance. Their knives are built like tanks and several are assisted opening. Agreed. I just got a ZT ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Assisted open knives

Quote Originally Posted by bwaltman View Post
    Look at Zero Tolerance. Their knives are built like tanks and several are assisted opening.
    Agreed. I just got a ZT 0350. While it is pretty big, it feels indestructible, and it still thin in the pocket. The S30V blade is razor sharp as well. I only carry it for defensive purposes. For my regular use knife, I carry a BM 555HG Griptillian or a cheap Leatherman C33.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I just picked up a ZT 0400 yesterday at a local gun shop. It's an s30v steel. Nice knife, very sturdy. It was 139.99.

I have a Kershaw Needs Work and I love it. Opens fast every time. I highly recommend.

My SOG is a bit sloppy with the blade when opened. I was a little dissapointed with that
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by DAtrigger View Post
    I have the SOG Aegis and SOG Blink. I would not hesitate to have another SOG. To me, the Aegis is an absolute winner in its category.
    I've had an Aegis in my pocket since they came out. Probably not as robust as some of the more combat leaning knives but still very strong, keeps an edge, cheap, great clip, and a safety if you want to use it. a good utility blade as well as a good defensive 3" assisted open folder.
    Attached Images

I like my crkt hissatsu
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I always carry a Kershaw 1550 ST with the open assist. It is a great knife, but may have been replaced by a newer model.

Check your local laws before buying you assisted opened knife. Technically, here in MIchigan any knife that can be "easily" openned with one hand is considered illegal. LE do not seem to go out of their way to enforce this law, but I am sure if you caused them trouble by being a belligerent OC you would find out the hard way.

CARRY ON!

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post
    Check your local laws before buying you assisted opened knife. Technically, here in MIchigan any knife that can be "easily" openned with one hand is considered illegal. LE do not seem to go out of their way to enforce this law, but I am sure if you caused them trouble by being a belligerent OC you would find out the hard way.

CARRY ON!
    Can you please provide me the Michigan law that supports this statement?

This is a law on a mechanical device which does not include assisted openers.

- 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device... Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements.

For the record I carry two knives that can be opened one handed. One the SOG Twitch II has an assisted opener and the other is a Spyderco P'Kal which has a wave feature that can be opened when catching on my pocket when pulling out. Neither has a mechanical device but can be opened with one hand. With that said, this is state law and local ordinances may vary.
    Last edited by AOK; March 10th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

I do not know the exact law but it pretains to the illegality of butterfly knifes. I was told this info by my friend who is a state trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post

CARRY ON!
    You are mistaken.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I have most of the knives listed in this thread, or a close 'relative' or two or more within the brand name mentioned. Cheaper than the Kershaw Blur is the similar Speed Bump, which every few weeks or so, Amazon seems to mark down to around $30--excellent value--it's a stout knife, well built from good materials. I like the Kershaw Leek--it's a true 'gentleman's folder', but its blade is awfully thin and delicate, although it's a pleasure to open for sure--a fine fruit peeling knife--elegant too--like Al-Mar quality w/o the Al-Mar price.

I've been happy with my Benchmades, espec. my automatics--maybe my early Emerson-Benchmade collaboration is a top three favorite among my knives--but those knives are pricey and the ATS-34 steel is a pain to sharpen w/o ruining the steel's temper from heat--very hard stuff. Same goes for my D2 tool steel and VG10 steel knives--I am going back to blade steels with more carbon in them. Seems to me that Benchmade is holding the line on quality a bit lately more than SOG or Coldsteel are, but then again, you typically pay more.

My SOG Vulcan--full sized tanto, is a beautiful, somewhat heavy knife that really doesn't open fast and instead of 'growing on me'---pretty much stays in a drawer--its weight and physical attractiveness don't justify it's lack of overall utility. Maybe I got a bad blank--but the steel on mine leaves a lot to be desired for the money paid.

I have just about every model of the SOG Trident and to be honest, I think they're slipping lately in build quality--the blades just don't lock into place as crisply and stay put as before--there's a wee bit of wiggle I never used to see--although it varies from knife to knife. If you can find one of the better production SOG Tridents, to me that is an ideal ratio of value, size, weight, blade steel quality and useful functionality. For such a light weight knife, one that can be had for between $50 and $60, it's hard to beat--weighs so little--can do so much.

Some knock the tanto blade, but I have Trident Tantos in black tini as well as in stainless (chrome color) steel and I don't hesitate to grab one whether I'm dressed up or down. When I want to go real light, I like the skeletal laser cut out Spyderco's--but since I paid about $50 apiece for them and now they fetch $295, (no longer manufactured models) I think twice about carrying those light little pups.

Perhaps my sexiest knives are my fixed blade SOG Daggert and Pentagon knives--they still make them, but like my old Gerber Mark II, they were much better quality when they were making them in the USA a while back. A really nice knife/s many overlook is Sweden's Fallkniven line--perhaps the sharpest knife out of the box I've ever seen.

Busse's sort of 'factory outlet' knife--their 'Scrapyard knives' are fine fixed blade knives, some made with the same very high quality steel the top very expensive Busse knives use. Even though the Scrapyard knives will cost you, few who know a good knife will say you made a stupid choice there if you want a tough, top quality knife without the highest price (and not quite as 'pretty) as you'll get in the Busse lineup. But heck--knives are made to be used--not lollycoddled so they always look 'pretty', aren't they?

Want a knife to take to hell and back and still have money (and a fine knife) left when you get back? The fixed blade Gerber LMF II can't be beat--have a look see on Amazon--if you don't like it--they'll take it back postage paid, no questions asked, but I bet you like it. Has a very effective ceramic X shaped sharpener built into the sheath so you can't lose it. I wouldn't think twice before doing things with that knife that I would hesitate to do with my SOG Seal blades...

I have both the SOG Trident and the SOG Mini Trident Tantos and no problems. Forget the emergency cutter for anything larger than para cord. The plastic handles are strong and the black pocket clip conceals the knife deep. The full size Trident is a bit large to carry at times.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links