Assisted open knives

This is a discussion on Assisted open knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked at a couple knives today. a SOG Trident and a Gerber F.A.S.T. Tanto. I liked the looks of the SOG and the fact ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Assisted open knives

Assisted open knives

I looked at a couple knives today. a SOG Trident and a Gerber F.A.S.T. Tanto. I liked the looks of the SOG and the fact that it had the emergency cutter(for seatbelts and such). But, when I actually held it, it felt cheap. I'm not a huge fan of plastic handles. I liked the Gerber. Felt very solid. Only thing I was unsure about was the safety. It was to loose. I feel it could come off safe in my pocket at anytime. Anyone have any experiences with either knife/brand? I'm looking into a few different options from SOG. I've always liked their stuff. I've got a fixed blade knife and a hatchet from them. I wonder if the safety on the Gerber could be tightened?

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    The SOG Trident is a good knife, despite the plastic handle. It feels cheap because it's so light.

i like the kershaw "leek" with "speedsafe" open assisit
    Azchief likes this.

I like the Benchmade Barrage, 3.6 in blade. As far as SOG, I have two and they are OKAY. Below Benchmade and Syderco and above Gerber. Gerber seems to have sold out, cheap China made steel anymore. SOG is most likely AUS 8, fairly good steel. Kershaw make an assisted open knife that is 154CM and that is the same as the Benchmade. I think it is the blur.

There is always someone trying to take away our knives and firearms. I have a lot of experience with knives and try to stay away from assisted openers almost as much as automatics. With some practice and the right technique, you can open a knife with a thumbstud or flipper as fast as an auto. I would generally choose Benchmade over SOG. Cold Steel makes excellent folders at reasonable prices also.

The trick with a thumbstud or a Spyderhole™ is not to walk the blade out with your thumb, but to put pressure on the thumbstud, then give your wrist a quick light flick with an abrupt stop. Make sure you have your fingers on the opposite side without blocking the blade and that no one is off to your side or behind you when you practice. A bigger blade can transfer a lot of force when it locks open and send the knife boomeranging out of your hand if you aren't careful. Discretely practice whenever possible until it is deep in your muscle memory.

Note: I like and own several Spydercos, but will not consider them as a hard use knife. The Spyderhole™ takes a big chunk of the blade out right near the spine and in an emergency situation, if the knife has to be abused, enough torque will snap the blade. If everything else is equal, a fixed blade with a full tang is always your safest choice.
    Last edited by Quietus; October 4th, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
    Rock AKA Quietus
    If I wouldn't go someplace without packing, I don't need to be there in the first place.
    A CCW is for when I'm not expecting trouble.
    Preparation M Forum

Emerson Mini Commander here. Great knife and awesome assisted open with the wave feature.

+1 for the kershaw and benchmade asisst knives, gerbers are ok but I never have been able to get them to hold a edge very well

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Administrator
    The SOG knives are good knives. That "plastic" is far tougher than it looks to be.

I have several Kershaw Leeks...they work very well and keep a sharp edge.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i like the kershaw "leek" with "speedsafe" open assisit
    +1 I have carried one for years, and it is a great all-round knife.

Both SOG & Benchmade are quality manufacturers and stand behind their products. I'm sure you'd be happy eitherway.

I carry a CRKT, big fan of their double safety systems.
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

-Jeff Cooper

Id look for a CRKT the safety on those is awesome.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I have the SOG trident tanto stainless. I love it. I carry it on duty every day and have never had an issue. I don't know the exact specs on the handle but it is impact resistant so it won't break, SOG also comes with a warranty for such events because it is a 70+ dollar knife. The only other knife I would carry while on the job would be a bench made. But you won't go wrong with the SOG trust me! Well worth it!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

I bought my first "good" knife about 6 months ago. A CRKT Ignitor. I think I paid about $50 for it, and no regrets. Sharp edge. Good assisted opening knife that is easy to manipulate- anhas never opened when i didnt want it to

I like the Kershaw with speedsafe. Great knife and has been very durable.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links