Defensive Carry banner

Assisted open knives

17K views 45 replies 41 participants last post by  Backroad 
#1 ·
I looked at a couple knives today. a SOG Trident and a Gerber F.A.S.T. Tanto. I liked the looks of the SOG and the fact that it had the emergency cutter(for seatbelts and such). But, when I actually held it, it felt cheap. I'm not a huge fan of plastic handles. I liked the Gerber. Felt very solid. Only thing I was unsure about was the safety. It was to loose. I feel it could come off safe in my pocket at anytime. Anyone have any experiences with either knife/brand? I'm looking into a few different options from SOG. I've always liked their stuff. I've got a fixed blade knife and a hatchet from them. I wonder if the safety on the Gerber could be tightened?

#4 ·
I like the Benchmade Barrage, 3.6 in blade. As far as SOG, I have two and they are OKAY. Below Benchmade and Syderco and above Gerber. Gerber seems to have sold out, cheap China made steel anymore. SOG is most likely AUS 8, fairly good steel. Kershaw make an assisted open knife that is 154CM and that is the same as the Benchmade. I think it is the blur.

#5 · (Edited)
There is always someone trying to take away our knives and firearms. I have a lot of experience with knives and try to stay away from assisted openers almost as much as automatics. With some practice and the right technique, you can open a knife with a thumbstud or flipper as fast as an auto. I would generally choose Benchmade over SOG. Cold Steel makes excellent folders at reasonable prices also.

The trick with a thumbstud or a Spyderhole™ is not to walk the blade out with your thumb, but to put pressure on the thumbstud, then give your wrist a quick light flick with an abrupt stop. Make sure you have your fingers on the opposite side without blocking the blade and that no one is off to your side or behind you when you practice. A bigger blade can transfer a lot of force when it locks open and send the knife boomeranging out of your hand if you aren't careful. Discretely practice whenever possible until it is deep in your muscle memory.

Note: I like and own several Spydercos, but will not consider them as a hard use knife. The Spyderhole™ takes a big chunk of the blade out right near the spine and in an emergency situation, if the knife has to be abused, enough torque will snap the blade. If everything else is equal, a fixed blade with a full tang is always your safest choice.

#9 ·
I have several Kershaw Leeks...they work very well and keep a sharp edge.

#11 ·
Both SOG & Benchmade are quality manufacturers and stand behind their products. I'm sure you'd be happy eitherway.

I carry a CRKT, big fan of their double safety systems.

#13 ·
I have the SOG trident tanto stainless. I love it. I carry it on duty every day and have never had an issue. I don't know the exact specs on the handle but it is impact resistant so it won't break, SOG also comes with a warranty for such events because it is a 70+ dollar knife. The only other knife I would carry while on the job would be a bench made. But you won't go wrong with the SOG trust me! Well worth it!

#16 ·
I have a Trident. They sell them at Walmart now for $49 (serrated). I think it would probably be best for light-medium cutting. I personally carry it for self defense only. I like the deep clip and light weight. The cutter is only for paracord type cutting.
The Kershaw Blur ($55-60)is pretty light and a very rugged knife if you are concerned about safety. I would get plain edge if you are going to make it a user. The cold steel voyagers ($50) are also, light, rugged and within the same (less)price range. The Tenacious($30)is extremly popular among value folder buyers. My Rat 1 folder ($30) is heftier, but extremely rugged.
If you limit yourself to assisted openers you will be missing out on a lot of great folders.
I don't buy Gerbers.

#17 ·
I like the Kershaw Leek myself. Have the 1660ST (serrated) speedsafe assisted opener. The slimmest of all the assited openers I looked at (at Smoky Mountain Knifeworks in the store).

I do worry about the point on it... as a drop blade, it has the sharpest (pointiest?) point of any drop blade knife I've looked at.

#18 ·
I'm happy with my SOG Twitch XL. I'm a lefty and the reversible pocket clip was a must. It sits deep in the pocket, which was another requirement of mine. I didn't want any portion of the handle above my pocket line. Opens lightening fast with thumb stud or kicker.

#23 ·
I had an opportunity to mess around with a good portion of the knives mentioned here over the weekend at the local machine gun shoot. Looks like a draw between SOG and Kershaw. Both had likes and dislikes. I've been wanting another SOG (I have a fixed blade) for a while now. I may go with Kershaw though. Hmmm.....decisions, decisions.....

#27 ·
I have a SOG Vulcan & can't praise it enough, However:always move the pocket clip so the blade side rests against the inside of your pocket! That's with any folding knife not just the SOG. If one gives the blade room to open in ones pocket...it will.

I know its happed to me No Fun!:hand5:

#28 ·
of the knives I have experience with, I prefer Kershaw or Benchmade. Very well built and both companies offer selections that can cater to your planned usage.

Kershaw makes the Leek and the Blur (my two favorites) both are "torsion" assist. The leek is smaller and better for light duty cutting tasks. The Blur is larger, carries well and better for medium duty tasks. Both models come in a wide range of features, colors, blade shapes, blade steel etc...

Benchmade make the Griptillian, probably one of their most popular folders. I dont think it is assisted open. I currently have a 950 rift. Very sturdy blade, very well made and very good steel. I have abused this knife and it still works perfectly.

Zero Tolerance knives are part of the Kershaw family and are built like TANKS! Thick liner locks, machined parts for a precise fit and finish. They work well and Kershaw really backs their product up with excellent warranty and customer service. I have yet to ADD a ZT knife to my collection but when I do, it will be the ZT 0550.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.