Anyone carry a fixed blade?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a fixed blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Spartan Enyo regularly and I love it. It is a great little knife....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a fixed blade?

I carry a Spartan Enyo regularly and I love it. It is a great little knife.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

2. Remove Ads

SOG Seal pup
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

IMAG0033 (400 x 600).jpgIMAG0033 (400 x 600).jpg1 or 2 of these...

kabar tdi
    f.perrin or emerson lagriffe
    esee izula
    f.perrin neck bowie
    cold steel mini tac kiridashi

bye
    tom
    Last edited by acab70; November 5th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.

Fixed Blade Carry

I carry two knives. The fixed blade is a Benchmade Elishewitz with a 4.5" blade in M2HS steel, which is something of an experiment for me to see how I like the steel. My backup edc is a Blackhawk Be-Wharned folder. I prefer a fixed-blade because they are generally stronger than folders and are quicker to deploy with the blade already "locked" and ready. However, the blades are usually four inches or longer and they are illegal in many states, and more difficult to conceal. I carry my Benchmade in a clip-on Kydex sheath on my waistband, usually in the small of my back. Depending on the knife, I also like to carry fixed blades on a breakaway chain around my neck with the knife inside my shirt, which I wear with tails out, the bottom button unbuttoned. This works better in warm weather than cold. However, if you are unable to deploy a folding knife in time to be useful, you are letting someone who is a potential threat get closer to you than is wise. Either that, or you may not be practiced in deploying folders. It's good to keep in mind that it is easier to prevent conflict than it is to survive it, as the saying goes. I attended some of Michael Janich's Martial Blade Camps in Estes Park, Colorado, as well as weekend seminars elsewhere, and found them invaluable. If you are open to this idea, and have the money to spend, it's money and time well-spent.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Skipidar

I usually carry two fixed blade, one is my Emerson Karambit fixed blade as my neck knife. Second is ZT 0121 I carry this on my back or in my maxpedition jumbo bag. I like fixed blade because it's fast to draw in an emergency situation.
    Up in the Sky, It's a Bird No, It's a Plane No, It's SUPERMAN

I carry a Cold Steel Tanto Kobun concealed and at times my Laredo bowie . I was talking to Lynn Thompson one day and ask what he was carrying . All sudden Iam looking at a Laredo Bowie in his hand. He carries concealed in a RiverCity sheath. Now he's only 5'8" I thought if he could do it . That Iam 6'3" I can also. If I carry a folder its a XL Voyager . I like larger blades A 6" voyager and the ability to slip the handle can buy you another 2inches of reach So like packing a 8 inch blade.

I glad to live in a state where we have a concealed weapons permit not just pistol.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I have a Cold Steel Tanto from the 80s and a Randall Model 1 and adore them both but I would never carry them. My Spyderco folder makes me happy.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

On rare occasions, I'll carry one of my Busse Mean Streets. Most of the time, I carry folders.

Nope. I carry folders. I would rather carry a small fixed blade but they are concidered dangerous Knives in Washington. I would rather carry a small Izula that a pocket knife. I EDC a pocket knife and my G27 or Colt

AOK
    My primary carry knife is an Izula with paracord wrapped around the handle in my front right pocket.

Attached are my two EDC Fixed Blades Both are recent acquisitions and both have positives and negatives

The Ka-Bar is very easily concealable, the pistol grip is very helpful and confidence inspiring. Kind of awkward for utility use however.

The Benchmade is ultra light and ULTRA sharp out of the box. It almost feels like a very cheap knife until you use it the first time. It is a fair bit larger at just under 8 inches total length, but with a 3.5" blade exactly its right on the line of what vancouver considers a dangerous knife. It would be helpful to have a custom friction lock kydex sheath vs. the one that came with it. I have adapted a nylon strap to serve as a less bulky and more comfortable belt loop vs the malice clip that came with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links