Anyone carry a fixed blade?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a fixed blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I have been thinking about how difficult (even with practice) it is to deploy a folding knife in a defensive situation. I have several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a fixed blade?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Anyone carry a fixed blade?

Lately I have been thinking about how difficult (even with practice) it is to deploy a folding knife in a defensive situation. I have several spring assisted knives (switch blades are illegal here) and have come to the sad realization that I would probably not be able to access my knife if my firearm was not an option. Hence my reason for considoring a fixed blade. As always opinions are appreciated.
    Skipidar likes this.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I carry both my benchmade and my T.D.I. Thee are some really good videos out about this knife and how fast the deployment really is. 100% of the time the fastest folding knife couldn't beat the slowest T.D.I.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When at the area on my residence or working on my car, I sometimes carry my all-black colored KABAR utility knife along with my CC pistol.

Never really gave much thought to carrying a fixed blade. I feel that my Kershaw Blur is a pretty quick to draw blade.

+1 on the TDI. I am right handed but carry the TDI for left hand access. I also carry a spring assist folder for right hand. My thinking is that if my right hand is occupied
    the fixed blade is much simpler to deploy requiring minimal fine motor skills. I would have to practice quite a bit to deploy a folder smoothly with my left hand.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    TDI is fast and useful.
    tenorwizard likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Moderator
    I'm another advocate of the TDI fixed blade.. even went to TDI for their two-day defensive knife class where we ran speed drills with the fixed vs folder knives on a timer.. even the assisted opening knives were on average a half second - full second longer to draw and use vs fixed blade and, of course, there were a couple of fumbled draws.

When we had to do the drawing under stress and use what we learned against real sparring partners it was really no surprise that 3/4 of the class ditched folding knives in favor of fixed blades by the end of the class.

Administrator
    Yes, if its my intention for my knife to be a fighting on, a fixed blade it will be. There are a number of good ones out there. I was fortunate enough to be involved with the TDI knife was being developed, and have one of the the early prototypes. It is a good inexpensive tool to have. I still prefer a spike style blade, about 5 or so inches long. I learned to knife fight a few years back from a foreign dude who smelled and talked funny. He showed me a quick and easy ways to work on somebody convincing me that us the type of blade for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just a personal opinion, but I don't consider carrying a fixed-blade around during my active everyday routine for the same reason I don't squat while wearing spurs.

Don't like spring-assist folders either because my active lifestyle once resulted in one coming open in my pocket at a very inopportune time - owwwwwie!!!

I now carry a single-blade (3.25"), flip-open Gerber with a pocket clip that has an "ambidextrous" opening via a thumb-hole in the blade rather than a post protruding from one side or the other. Being an ambidextrous person and having the clip keeping it slightly protruding up from inside a front pocket, I can quickly yank it and have the blade flipped open and locked in less than 2 seconds whether standing up or laying on the ground (unless I happen to be laying on the knife).

Since things would have to be going terribly wrong in a surprise defensive situation where my knife would be the first thing I grabbed for instead of my pistol, having a 2-second folder is probably as fast as retrieving a fixed blade from a scabbard that I had hung somewhere out of the way. There's also a number of states where a fixed-blade is illegal to carry unless you're at some associated sporting event or out in the field working or hunting.

CS Tanto Kobun

Sometimes I like to carry a Cold Steel Delta Dart with plastic sheath, especially when it is hot, humid, or I will be in or near salt water. The Simitar spike is also easy to carry in the front pocket.

I carry 3 knives. TDI knife,folding knife and a hideaway. In a fight for my life I don't intend to come up snake eyes when I need a tool.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Fix blades are the best method of carry for an edge tool if you can. For the past several months I have been evaluating a Blackhawk Crucible FX2. What I like about the FX2

• Full size handle which allows a full solid grip and also extends well for use as an impact tool
    • The holster has multiple configurations, outside or inside the wasit band on the belt, paddle, neck or boot.
    • It is sharp no matter what some reviews say that it is dull

In general I do not suggest paddle holsters but there are times when it makes sense, for instance I am wearing some pants without a belt, I have the paddle holster tucked between my pants and underware rather than just my pants which provides a good platform for positive purchasing of the blade where with just the pants the draw is not so good.

There are times when I will carry a five or seven inch fix blade but not that often. No matter, I also carry a folder on my support side which is a Bram Frank second generation Gunting called the Lapu-Lapu-Corto.

FX_2_FixBlade.jpg
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

fm2
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Lately I have been thinking about how difficult (even with practice) it is to deploy a folding knife in a defensive situation....
    You are on track for a defensive knife, smaller fixed blades are much more efficient and robust than folders. I like a small fixed blade knife much better than any folder. The main reason is that once you establish grip, there's no extra manipulations that compromise the grip, like you do with a folder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links