Stopping Power of a Knife

This is a discussion on Stopping Power of a Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an article by Michael Janich , a well known blade fighting & self defense expert. In the article he covers some techniques designed ...

Thread: Stopping Power of a Knife

Stopping Power of a Knife

This is an article by Michael Janich, a well known blade fighting & self defense expert. In the article he covers some techniques designed to incapacitate an attacker quickly to the point where he will be unable to continue an assault regardless of size, intoxication, or determination. The techniques are a mechanical approach to the human anatomy. Severing certain ligaments and tendons have proven to be a more reliable method of ending an attack, opposed to attacking a person's vital organs or major arteries.

I particularly like the method called "defanging the snake" in which you the severe the tendons on the inside of your attackers wrist and forearm rendering him absolutely unable to hold any type of weapon. Check it out!

Knife Stopping Power

2. Remove Ads

That's Michael Janich.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's Michael Janich.
    You're right! I let my fingers get ahead of me...

RKM
    Knives are very very very scarey weapons. I'd take getting shot any day. I carry my Griptilian primarily for utility tasks, but it's nice knowing it's there if it's ever needed. Now I'm certainly not an expert, nor do I act or think I am, but I have confidence that if the situation was so out of hand, my firearm was not available, out of ammo, broken, etc. I could easily hurt somebody effectively with my knife. Until then, I'll stick to opening packages and cutting loose strings of my clothes.

I'm one of those guys that just LOVE knives...I always thought it was weird but I used to love those movies and one of the guys was a knife bada$$....it's just a whole new level of awesomeness hahaha

I always carry one or two, been doing so for years. Thank God I've never even had to come close to using one....

A funny side-note: Jimmy Kimmell asked the rapper 50-Cent what hurt worse - being stabbed or being shot. He said being stabbed is worse...scheeshh

Knife wounds probably are worse than bullet wounds if you take bleeding into account. A good long, deep slash is bound to catch some significant blood vessels, or arteries. If you don't get medical attention quickly you could bleed out.

But, as the article states, some of the major tendons and ligaments are where the real stopping power is.

God knows I'd hate to get cut, especially by someone who knew what they were doing!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I was told if ever using a knife for defense to yell, "You've been cut, you need medical attention."

I guess if they can no longer hold their weapon you probably won't have to point out to them that they've been cut.

Jim

Links