SOG Trident

SOG Trident

This is a discussion on SOG Trident within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, experiences with this knife. Walmart has started carrying them for around $50 Would this make a decent self defense/ fighting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SOG Trident

SOG Trident

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, experiences with this knife. Walmart has started carrying them for around $50

Would this make a decent self defense/ fighting knife?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I've carried the Trident Tanto for awhile. Fast opening, plenty sharp enough and holds an edge. I've never had a problem with mine and it goes everywhere with me.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Seems like a pretty good value at $50. I'm torn between that and the Kershaw Blur tanto tip.
    Guest1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I've read a few posts on here and if I'm not mistaken, there are other members in addition to Inspector71 that are carrying this knife. I haven't heard any negative reviews about it. I don't think you can really go wrong with it being $50.00. If it doesn't work out in being a good SD knife for you, you could always keep it for utility purposes.

Please keep us informed and let us know what you decide to do.

I have one and really like it, I carry it daily and never had a problem.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Administrator
    The SOG Trident has good bones. Which variation are you interested in? Personally I would go with a model without serrations and not a TANTO.

Take a look at the SOG Trident Spear Point TF-2 - That's a great knife. Just Google search by images SOG TF-2

Also the SOG Aegis - here is an ebay link so that you can see what that knife looks like
    SOG Aegis A/O Knife Satin AE-01 AE01 Smooth S.A.T. | eBay

One thing that you might consider doing no matter if you get the SOG Flash - SOG Trident or the Aegis is taking a tiny ball of Epoxy putty and using that to permanently keep the little safety lock in the OFF position as it really slows the knife down for fast self-defensive presentation if it's left in the ON SAFE position.
    I've never had my knife open up in a pocket when it wasn't supposed to with my safety permanently OFF but, (naturally) make your own adult decision on deactivating any safety feature.
    The responsibility of if to do that or not belongs to you.

Shop on Ebay for one - you can score any one of the three for right around $50.00 using the Buy It Now feature so that you don't hafta get outbid on one at the very last minute.
    Glockologist likes this.

I like my walmart trident but it has a little blade play out of the box. I would go to a Walmart that sells them in boxes so you can get the tightest one in stock. I would carry a tool to tighten it up on the spot if need be. I don't consider them work knives, but I think they are great self defense knives. Light carrier, deep clip, great ergo.The blur is more of a sturdy working knife.

I prefer some of the other SOG models, like the Aegis. I don't like the way the trident looks or feels. It would be a perfectly fine self defense knife for reasons others have mentioned.

Administrator
    Some people don't really love the handle profile of the Trident. I agree that the Aegis feels a lot better in the hand - to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I prefer some of the other SOG models, like the Aegis. I don't like the way the trident looks or feels. It would be a perfectly fine self defense knife for reasons others have mentioned.

Administrator
    Oh I just noticed the OP of this thread WAS Glockologist - a previously banned member that tried to sneak back onto the forum again.

We have a secret weapon that will always catch banned members if they try & get back in.

It's called a JD & he will get your sorry ass every time.
    JD likes this.

I think it's a knife that will serve you well...certainly acceptable quality.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LOVE my SOGS Ageis and FlashII is all I carry these days. The Trident will serve you well.

The Blur is an awesome knife,SOG's are prone to rusting and require a lot of maintinence,I've carried a blur in my weak side pants leg pocket for 4 years,they open easily with either hand,the newer ones have a rubber texture instead of the grit style like mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockologist View Post
    Seems like a pretty good value at $50. I'm torn between that and the Kershaw Blur tanto tip.

I have one also over a year old its an EDC but gos threw rotation with other that I carry ( I pretty much rotate weekly)

All my EDC"s are flesh only

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Oh I just noticed the OP of this thread WAS Glockologist - a previously banned member that tried to sneak back onto the forum again.

We have a secret weapon that will always catch banned members if they try & get back in.

It's called a JD & he will get your sorry ass every time.

It's a hobby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links