fixed blade recommendations..

This is a discussion on fixed blade recommendations.. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no personal experience with Benchmade but, I would trust buckeye .45 to know his knives....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: fixed blade recommendations..

Administrator
    I have no personal experience with Benchmade but, I would trust buckeye .45 to know his knives.

2. Remove Ads

I was issued 2 nimravu's,one tan,still have,one black,great knives,"but",they are thin and chip easy,have very little blade guard,both mine have combo blades and can be attached to molle/pals,they sharpen fairly easy,and have a great corrosion resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I have no personal experience with Benchmade but, I would trust buckeye .45 to know his knives.

Anyone hear about the Gerber LMF II A. S. E. K. Fixed Blade? Anyone use this before? It looked interesting and very affordable. Also, Amazon.com has them around $68.

Gerber LMF II A. S. E. K. Fixed Blade Military / Survival / Bushcraft / Outdoor / Hunting / Fighting Knife w/ Coyote Brown Glass Filled Nylon with TPV Overmold Handle - Hunting Knives
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I was issued 2 nimravu's,one tan,still have,one black,great knives,"but",they are thin and chip easy,have very little blade guard,both mine have combo blades and can be attached to molle/pals,they sharpen fairly easy,and have a great corrosion resistance.
    Mine got used for just about everything a grunt on a 2 acre F.O. B. can use one for over the course of 7 months. I was, and still am really happy with it. I had a spear point combo blade, and have used it to both cut through animal bone, and to skin with.

Do I think it is the perfect knife, no. But I think for the average user looking for a general use knife, it is at the right spot between price, and function/quality.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

it is between the benchmade and the esse rc3. I think that is the name if it. look good for about $50 less.

it seems there were rat models than esse after. gets confusing when shopping since they clump them together.

Administrator
    Just my personal highly qualified opinion on this but, if...as you have stated above you'll be using your knife for backpacking/camping then a 3" blade is too short UNLESS you'll also be packing an AX - a Hand AX or a Hatchet.
    That would be because a 3" blade is way too short to be batoning through wood and too short for efficient shelter prep.

You should at least go with the ESEE-5. I wouldn't carry anything less than a 5" blade.

"it seems there were rat models than esse after. gets confusing when shopping since they clump them together."

http://www.eseeknives.com/index.html

Possibly this will help to clear that up.

R.A.T.
    Randall's Adventure and Training® is a recognized leader in Latin American jungle survival training and domestic survival training. Randall's Adventure and Training® also produces a quality line of survival gear and field grade cutlery for law enforcement, military applications and outdoor bushcraft under the ESEE® brand name. Our knives are made in the USA and backed by a 100 percent "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" warranty against all use and abuse. Currently, our gear is being used worldwide, including the conflict areas of Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Colombia and numerous places in between.

Randall's Adventure and Training® manufactured (and continues to fully guarantee) R.A.T. Cutlery knives (RC-3, RC-4, RC-5, RC-6) built from 2007 until 2010. We have changed the name of our company to ESEE Knives®. The only thing that has changed is the name. We now market our knives under the ESEE®, Izula®, and Junglas® brand names.

> Randall's Adventure and Training® does not manufacture or warranty RAT knives built by Ontario Knife Company (RAT-3, RAT-5, RAT-7, RTAK, TAK and Model 1 Folder). These knives are manufactured by Ontario Knife Company even though they were designed by Randall's Adventure and Training®.

I started looking bigger. Looked at 4" but can glance over the 5" models.

The big question I am trying to answer is to have a plain blade or partially serrated.

Administrator
    I'm sure that some folks will disagree but, I think blade serrations (in the location that they are typically found on most knives) really get in the way of using that portion of the blade for a majority of camp and survival tasks.

Serrations may be great on a folder and for other specific functions (like quick, emergency seat belt cutting) but, for a camp & woods knife I refuse to deal with the frustration and aggravation of a knife w/ a serrated blade.

Again...just one mans personal opinion.

Seems valid to me. my sog has the serrations. I often wonder what it is supposed to cut. I imagine people trying to cut dowel rods. although I have had good luck with heavier banding and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm sure that some folks will disagree but, I think blade serrations (in the location that they are typically found on most knives) really get in the way of using that portion of the blade for a majority of camp and survival tasks.

Serrations may be great on a folder and for other specific functions (like quick, emergency seat belt cutting) but, for a camp & woods knife I refuse to deal with the frustration and aggravation of a knife w/ a serrated blade.

Again...just one mans personal opinion.
    I agree. A pocket knife is nice. But the Esse blade ppl like the serration because they are made for easy sharpening . The way they are made they sharpen like when you sharpen you blade. I have no experience but may try one. Dunno I like the full blade but neve can have to many knives :)

My normal EDC knives are all non-serrated, extremely sharp, and will outperform any serrated knife that I have tested them against. My EDC knives consists of: A Ka-Bar TDI, a Gerber F.A.S.T, and an old Schrade+ Uncle Henry LB3.

Offer a chef a serrated knife and he/she will probably throw you out of the restaurant.

That not to say that serrated knives are not purposeful, as serrated edges were probably the first cutting tools ever used. I just have found that a well-ground, well-honed straight edge will outperform most serrated edges.

My field knives are of various lengths, as each has a specific purpose. I prefer a well-honed carbon steel knife for field use.
    • "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
    • The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I normally carry a Ka Bar, BK2 as a "Woods/Camper" that has served me well with its strength and versatility.
    QKShooter likes this.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Buy a Gryphon MA30 fromthe cutleryshoppe.com - absolutely superb $100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links