fixed blade recommendations..

This is a discussion on fixed blade recommendations.. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am slowly putting together a BOB and am looking for a fixed blade. I currently have a flash 2 as my folder which may ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: fixed blade recommendations..

fixed blade recommendations..

I am slowly putting together a BOB and am looking for a fixed blade. I currently have a flash 2 as my folder which may be replaced, but that is another thread.

For the most part the fixed blade will be coming along on camping and backpacking trips. It will most likely sit near a pack the remainder. I would hope to find more uses after purchase.

Anyhow who can recommend some quality working knives. I want something that can hold an edge of course, but also rugged. would hate to need it for something like prying and have it snap right away. I know that may not be its intended purpose but I am sure I am not the only person who has had to improvise. On that note a good warranty is a plus.

Price point 150 preferably around 100. Can go higher if it is actually worth it.
    Last edited by zeppelin03; October 26th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I have a busse for my BOB. No compromise as far as I am concerned.

I looked at busse and only found two models on their site. is that really it? do they sell more through another vendor or something?

check out K-Bar,can't remember the name,but they make a knife just for prying,so does Topps.Found it ,it's called the Becker Tac Tool,awesome looking knife.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I looked at busse and only found two models on their site. is that really it? do they sell more through another vendor or something?
    busse | eBay

FYI swamp rat INFI is more within your budget and I recommend them as well. I love the INFI

Swamp Rat Knife Works

http://ratknives.com/

swamp rat knife | eBay

I like the Benchmade Nimravus, a lot. And it is well within your price point. Give it a look.

I carried one on my hip for a deployment, and did a lot of really random stuff with it, the finish is kind of worn off, but the blade is still excellent.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like my Old Timer, USA Not china, Good carbon steel at a great price back then. You can't find em new, Might find used one JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If ur into neck knifes! Check out Home Page

ESEE Knives
    ESEE Knives - Knives By Maker
    Life time warranty. Good Usa made knives for all occasions good ppl . They teach survival.
    rigel42 likes this.

Kabar Cutlass Machete with Leather Sheath. only $58.00

Distinguished Member
    Every knife stabbing I have investigated the person with the knife usually cuts himself when his hand slides up an onto the blade at the moment of impact into the body. From my personal experience get a fixed blade tanto style knife with a good Blade guard if ur planning on getting in the business. When u hit. Hit hard like ur trying to knock the ball out of the park. Don't worry abt the ribs the blade will slide by them on the way in. 5 inch blade is good carry size. Just don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I like the ka bar tanto 5054 model.

Administrator
    Yes, Busse sells one knife style at a time. They are selling the BOSS JACK right now and it would make for a really nice BOB knife. It's very nicely balanced. It may be more than you want to spend though.
    Yes, I bought a BOSS JACK also. In my opinion they are worth every cent spent on one. Go to knifetests.com and suffer through the Busse destructive knife test videos.
    The videos are painfully slow moving but, you'll see first hand what it takes to destroy a Busse knife.
    You should also be aware of the fact that Busse knives are not furnished with a sheath. So keep that in mind.
    No great loss really since most of the sheaths supplied with even the really great knives these days are worthless crap.
    Whatever make/model/style Busse you get - you'll be able to find a sheath for it on Ebay. Usually they are KYDEX and are quite good.
    So who makes the best Leather sheaths for Busse knives? I do - but, only for my own personal knives.
    If you want a larger knife...then one of the best Busse knives to come down the pike in recent history is the BUSSE NMSFNO.
    It's now my absolute favorite SHTF amazingly indestructible "bug out" knife.

It's a reality that if you want a different older style Busse then you'll need to shop the Internet for one. There are always some on Ebay and yes, you'll pay a bit more for it than it sold for originally.
    This is America...so right now there are Americans that have purchased More Than One Boss Jack and they will wait until the folks that have missed the boat getting one directly from Busse - and then they will list them on Ebay and make a few bucks on the knives. It's the American way.

Are there other really good/great knives out there to be had? Happily...yes.

Boss Jack
    $267.00
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    The Ontario RD-7 Bush is a very good larger fixed blade working knife that will keep you alive. Search ebay for Ontario Bush. I saw one for $65.00 the other day on ebay.
    Possibly you can find one cheaper? I have no idea.

So far the Benchmade Nimravus is about what I am looking for. I am not to familiar with different types of steel and all that. Although The reviews are good, the price is about right, and I like the look. Just got to keep reading up on them for a bit.

Those Busse knives look nice, and I will be watching that video soon. Maybe I can upgrade soon after. But that extra $200 could do a lot right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links