Inexpensive Knife Option - S&W SW80B Assisted Opening Knife.

This is a discussion on Inexpensive Knife Option - S&W SW80B Assisted Opening Knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought one of these since I needed a general all purpose knife, as well as one being inexpensive in case I left it on ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Inexpensive Knife Option - S&W SW80B Assisted Opening Knife.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Lightbulb Inexpensive Knife Option - S&W SW80B Assisted Opening Knife.

I bought one of these since I needed a general all purpose knife, as well as one being inexpensive in case I left it on a job site or broke it. After a 2 weeks use, I elected to order another. Very inpressive, inexpensive and holds a good edge. For the average "Joe" like me, it works well for daily use but definately not a high-end knife. For those that don't need a $100.00 - $400.00 knife, here is a good option.

sw80b.jpg

General Description:
    The Smith & Wesson H.R.T. Extreme Ops automatic knife boasts excellence in craftsmanship. This is your industrial strength switchblade knife ready for daily use. The blade of this automatic knife is factory sharpened and capable of shaving hair off your arm, and it has a violently strong spring that locks the blade tight and fast upon every press of the release button. The handle of the S&W H.R.T. Extreme Ops switchblade is made of lightweight T-6 6061 aircraft aluminum, and features black "wing-walk" inserts, providing, not only a secure, comfortable grip, but the black powder coating of the aluminum helps to subdue glare and minimizes reflected light. The drop point blade has been teflon coated black, as well, making this a great covert/black-ops tool!
    In addition, this automatic knife also features a pocket clip, and a pommel-mounted glass breaking spike! What more could you possibly ask for?
    The Smith & Wesson H.R.T. Extreme Ops switchblade knife is a top-notch tactical tool at a very affordable price.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    I have a couple S&W folders. The M&P would be my favorite of them(thought the one in my avatar is a better visual match for the M&P). Like you said, not the highest quality but definitely a decent knife for the price.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    You need to be careful when carrying it though. In many states it would be illegal since it is marketed as a switch blade knife. Another option is the Gerber F.A.S.T. (forward action spring technology) series knives. Well made and priced between $25-50. The thumb post starts the blade forward and is assisted by means of a spring to move it into the locked position. I carry either the Presto 3.0 or the Mini Covert.
    Diddle likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Would you carry a gun that was made in China or Taiwan? If not, why would you carry a knife of that quality?

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My brother has one those S&W knives & he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianone View Post
    Would you carry a gun that was made in China or Taiwan? If not, would you carry a knife of that quality?
    Because knives are no where near as complex as guns. Yes, you can feel the difference between quality blades and cheaper knives, but there isn't really that much going on. People get killed all the time in prisons with shanks. There won't be that much of a difference between that knife and a $350 Emerson.

Another consideration may be Cold Steel knives. They often have sales and there are great bargins.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Because knives are no where near as complex as guns. Yes, you can feel the difference between quality blades and cheaper knives, but there isn't really that much going on. People get killed all the time in prisons with shanks. There won't be that much of a difference between that knife and a $350 Emerson.
    Good point. I will say this one is as structally sound as a Benchmade I had and in one case better. I managed to bend the pocked clip on the Bencmade and had a heck of a time finding a Torx key to fit the screws.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I'm glad to hear this. I just ordered a few knifes yesterday. One of them that I ordered for my EDC is a S&W Special Ops. It's not the switch blade, but hopefully it will be a good knife. I don't use a knife all that much so I can't see paying big bucks for a knife.

I paid $19.99 (on sale) for my Kershaw Oso Sweet and absolutely love that knife... so much so that I bought another one (still in the package) just in case I lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I have a couple S&W folders. The M&P would be my favorite of them(thought the one in my avatar is a better visual match for the M&P). Like you said, not the highest quality but definitely a decent knife for the price.
    What kind of S & W knife is that that you have on your avatar?
    "What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Irish/German + Mexican = Full-Blooded American

Links