CCW along with Chemical or electronic devices

This is a discussion on CCW along with Chemical or electronic devices within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you carry both a pistol/revolver and some sort of chemical or electronic device? Police officers do of course in many places but ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: CCW along with Chemical or electronic devices

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Do any of you carry both a pistol/revolver and some sort of chemical or electronic device? Police officers do of course in many places but as a civilian or off duty do you? Other than running out of places to keep stuff and needing two belts to keep the pants up I'd be just a little concerned that if I used my gun I'd be confronted in court with the "why didn't you use your stun gun instead" questioning. I'd thing police officers consider this question as well although they are better trained to make that decision. But then maybe I'm just being paranoid. Of course even tho your paranoid it doesn't mean they are not after you.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

You are way too worried about what is going to happen in court.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    You use the appropriate means to an appropriate end. Cant be tried in court if you get killed instead of defending yourself adequately.

Cheers
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Having more than one tool in your tool box should never be a bad thing. If you don't need lethal force it's a good thing to have an alternative of non lethal at hand.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Do any of you carry both a pistol/revolver and some sort of chemical or electronic device? Police officers do of course in many places but as a civilian or off duty do you? Other than running out of places to keep stuff and needing two belts to keep the pants up I'd be just a little concerned that if I used my gun I'd be confronted in court with the "why didn't you use your stun gun instead" questioning. I'd thing police officers consider this question as well although they are better trained to make that decision. But then maybe I'm just being paranoid. Of course even tho your paranoid it doesn't mean they are not after you.
    Better trained? I have mentioned this here before, but my best friend wound up murdered with his own gun when he opted to use pepper spray instead of his Glock. Better to have the press, civic leaders and prosecutor playing Monday morning quarterback than having friends, admirers and officials saying nice things at the funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You are way too worried about what is going to happen in court.
    Probably true. But I long ago learned the hard way, that you only get the justice you can afford. and the state has unlimited funds.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Probably true. But I long ago learned the hard way, that you only get the justice you can afford. and the state has unlimited funds.
    You are so incorrect in that statement it is not even funny. If you live in a liberal state, maybe a factor.... but you have a choice as an adult to move from those kind of insane asylums of politics. As for how the court system works, it is all about money... and saving it. Screw justice. That is how the plea deal came to pass and that is the most abused system in existence. Drug dealers get years in prison and child molesters get plea deals. It all has to do with local politics, competency of whatever attorney the case was assigned to and his/her personal politics, media attention, public view, your past record, the perps past record, the general view on firearms in the area you live in, the investigation by the local LE elements, cost of trial, time and caseload of the local office, your attorney, and other factors, some ridiculous and some not, all mashed up into a huge ball and bounced off a wall a few times for good measure. That is the best way I can explain the CJ system in the US today.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You are so incorrect in that statement it is not even funny. If you live in a liberal state, maybe a factor.... but you have a choice as an adult to move from those kind of insane asylums of politics. As for how the court system works, it is all about money... and saving it. Screw justice. That is how the plea deal came to pass and that is the most abused system in existence. Drug dealers get years in prison and child molesters get plea deals. It all has to do with local politics, competency of whatever attorney the case was assigned to and his/her personal politics, media attention, public view, your past record, the perps past record, the general view on firearms in the area you live in, the investigation by the local LE elements, cost of trial, time and caseload of the local office, your attorney, and other factors, some ridiculous and some not, all mashed up into a huge ball and bounced off a wall a few times for good measure. That is the best way I can explain the CJ system in the US today.
    well that was confusing. just like our legal system. better be able to afford it. do your best to stay clear of it. In any case we can now carry teasers in Wisconsin. Was thinking it might be a reasonable alternative but not a substitute for my 45. I'm quite sure i could point and shoot IF I really had to but for me it will always be my last choice. Although at 64 running away isn't as easy as when I was 30. I don't think it's a dumb question to ask. If after pulling the trigger and killing the BG somebody will ask "why not the teaser instead" I assume I'll have a good answer. or at least my EXPENSIVE lawyer will but would I be asking myself the same question? Probably so. AZCHEVY: Try to be just a bit more empathetic with others. we all do not feel, act, or reason in the same way as you. Not saying your not 100% correct but the last guy that was is over 2000 years old now.

I didn't need a lawyer. All I did was give a statement and a few days later pick my weapon up when they called me and told me to. That was in south Florida almost 20 years ago before I embarked on my career journey. My le experience was positive and my prosecutor experience was two phone calls and a visit to the office. So my point is it depends on a lot of factors. I can see why you are jumpy with the way your state has been. They seem to be coming around.

When I go out for walks, and other times that I know I will be out in public places, I carry pepper spray in the palm of my hand. It is great because it is very well concealed in the palm of my hand and is ready to spray instantly if a surprise threat emerges. So in a way, it is a quicker response than my gun. Failing the pepper spray, I have martial arts and a gun to fall back on. Of course, it all depends on the nature of the threat and it may require a split second decision to determine which of the 3 is the most appropriate of a response.

I've spent some time trying to imagine various scenarios and where certain types of responses might be correct. If it is more that one person, I'm probably going to go for the gun immediately. Why waste time spraying somebody while giving the second person time to attack me, by which I may not be able to draw my gun at that point. Once the bad guys see a gun, there's a good chance they won't want to stick around, especially if I shoot the first guy.

If it is a dog, or other animal, then the pepper spray would be the preferred choice.

If it is just one guy and he is unarmed and he is threatening or attempting bodily harm, then the pepper spray goes. For example, if some guy just confronts me and says "give me your wallet" or "get in the car" or something where he has no weapon but it is obvious he intends harm, then he gets sprayed in the face and I will run and find cover.

If somehow I'm taken by surprise and I am already in a struggle, at least I have the pepper spray in my hand already, so I can try to use that, until I get a chance to get my gun.

As for any lawyers. As far as I'm concerned, if I shoot somebody, it may not be necessary to even tell anyone that I even had pepper spray with me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Administrator
    When I'm taking the mutt for a strut I always have OC in my hand. My dog has been attacked before.

If it's not already in your hand you'll never get it out of a pocket and in use quick enough when the stray mad dog is flying at break-neck speed at your pooch wanting to take a tasty bite.

I don't think I'd carry a teaser here in Wisconsin. Too bulky and clothing too thick to work for half the year. OC might be a 2nd option tho.

VIP Member
    I know someone who is an MMA fighter, bail bond agent, private eye, process server. He carries pepper. I'm working on persuading him to get a CHL before a "client" makes his day go really bad.

The more tools the better so long as you chose the appropriate one for the situation as it unfolds. Pepper, H2H skills, flashlight-as kubaton, knife or similar i.e. screw driver, handgun. Then, whatever is necessary at the moment. And hopefully nothing ever more than a hasty departure.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

To actually answer the original question yes. I carry a knife, not exactly less lethal, and a tactical flashlight. I am going to get pepperspray as well. I like the light alot. It is a multi-use tool where as my LC9 i always carry is a little more specific...and loud. I carry a fenix PD-31 light. It is 304 lumens I believe and really disorrienting. I "used" it on myself to test, not planning on doing that with pepperspray! It has 2 settings for super bright defensive purposes and regular lighting needs. I really like it as an addition to my EDC. Also a lot cheaper than those surefire things, from what I saw at least. It was around $70 on amazon.

BigJon

Links